Pigs

Started by ONeill, March 30, 2009, 08:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Any pig men on the board? If anyone keeps pigs are has kept pigs in the past could you pm me. I'd especially like to hear from those who kept pigs 20-30-40-50 years ago.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Gs Man

:D  Your feckin wired up
Keep 'er lit

Puckoon

You may be *just* outside the time frame O'Neill mentioned Sir. ;)

tyronefan

thought this tread was about our local Constabulary   ;D

carribbear

Quote from: tyronefan on March 30, 2009, 09:21:21 PM
thought this tread was about our local Constabulary   ;D

RUC PSNI

Is this a word association thread?

Family guy

Had an odd aul pig home on manys a drunken nite dont go down that road oneill ;)

ONeill

TYP, did you work directly with the pigs?

comethekingdom

PIGS
(Portugal  Ireland  Italy  Greece  Spain)  as our European neighbours have branded us!

Hardy

You don't keep the pigs. The whole idea is to fatten them up and get rid of them.

ONeill

Yes, but this is specifically about the pig that was kept in the house - the one that had no tit to feed from.

ONeill

Would you have remembered occasions when the litter was too big for the sow and so some pigs were given away(or maybe eaten by the mother) but the odd one would have been kept by the hearth?

ONeill

Does the phrase 'copney' pig or something like that ring a bell regarding the pig in the box?

Yes, the teeth removal, neutering, and hooking before slaughter was barbaric but I suppose normal practice.

Orior

Okay, we had pigs until I was about 10.

We kept the pigs in a sty which had access to a garden. I used to practice gymnastics on the pigging pen.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

O'Neill whats "hooking"?

ONeill

Thanks TYP, that's very useful information.

Hooking was a method of getting the doomed pig into position for blattering. The slaughterer would have the pig in question identified. He'd then hit the pig a boot to get it to open its mouth. At that point he'd insert a large hook into its mouth and trail the bugger out, with the end of the hook protruding out of the pig's cheek. Smash and gut.

I'm sure modern methods have changed!