Ivory Coast Football Disaster

Started by Norf Tyrone, March 30, 2009, 07:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

A wall collapsed in an Abidjan stadium on Sunday sparking crowd panic that left at least 19 dead during a World Cup football match between Ivory Coast and Malawi, a medical source said.
First reports indicated part of a wall fell over in the stadium, prompting a crush of fans, the medical source said, adding that police may have fired tear gas and increased the panic.

Some 50,000 fans were packed in the Houphouet-Boigny Stadium in Ivory Coast's biggest city to see European-based stars such as Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou of Chelsea and Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue of Arsenal play in the World Cup qualifying match.

Drogba scored twice and Kalou once in the game which the hosts won 5-0 as the drama unfolded.

Hundreds of people have been killed in stadium accidents in Africa over the last decade.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Minder

A black day for African football.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mrsandman

Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Minder

full back

mrsandman

Quote from: full back on March 30, 2009, 09:55:34 AM
Quote from: Minder on March 30, 2009, 09:06:53 AM

Cant beat a bit of racism?

Thats what i meant, maybe we've took it wrong  ???
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

muppet

I don't think it was intentional. Let it go.
MWWSI 2017

quit yo jibbajabba

it was the 2nd or third story on skysports news last night; after the england cricket team beatin the windies in the one dayer;

wel done skysports, nothing like a bit of perspective;

>:(

longrunsthefox

I didn't think that was meant to be racist... is a common expression at such as time. Sad story alright.

nifan

Quote from: Shrek on March 30, 2009, 11:49:09 AM
Quote from: Minder on March 30, 2009, 09:06:53 AM

what an idiot.

I read it as a bad day for african football,
A black day , or dark day would be fairly common phrases for this.

This is a tragic incident, sounds like the police reaction can hardly have helped.

bingobus

Terrible disaster and appears to be all too common in African football.

I'm sure FIFA will continue to turn their heads. They need to take some positive steps and help the local authorities put some proper stadium controls in place.

Minder

Why anyone thought my post had racial undertones is interesting, people seem to be going out of their way to be offended the last few days on this board. In fairness there is no accounting for intelligence and it is not surprising that those posters took issue with it. Maybe we should remove the word "black" from the dictionary so as not to offend.

full back

Quote from: Minder on March 30, 2009, 11:59:32 AM
In fairness there is no accounting for intelligence and it is not surprising that those posters took issue with it.

:D
Are you questioning my intelligence? (or lack of it)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Minder on March 30, 2009, 11:59:32 AM
Why anyone thought my post had racial undertones is interesting, people seem to be going out of their way to be offended the last few days on this board. In fairness there is no accounting for intelligence and it is not surprising that those posters took issue with it. Maybe we should remove the word "black" from the dictionary so as not to offend.

Totally agree. I think we all need some loving....
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone