Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain NFL 2009

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 29, 2009, 07:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortified

quit your jibba jabba fool!!

moysider

Quote from: mortified on April 08, 2009, 07:41:53 PM
any word on mayo team?

I d say the only issue is the U21 involvement. O Mahoney will be loathe to go without McLoughlin, Parsons and O Shea. Without those three we would nt have won in Tuam and would be staring down the barrell of a gun this Sunday. However if any picked up an injury it would seriously damage our U21 chances.

I can t understand the late recall of the 3 vets at this stage of the year and Johnno says they ll unlikely be involved this weekend either. I dont understand what s in it for them either. Is there a competition that I m missing out on. What game time are they likely to get at all this year? Maybe I m doing a bit of devil s advocate here but it just does nt add up for me from either a management or player point of view. Also the 3 vets are defenders. The panel is already top heavy with defenders. Surely if any vet should be invited back is one that would give us a bit of something in the forwards. I know we re not supposed to suggest such a thing but .....

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

QuoteSurely if any vet should be invited back is one that would give us a bit of something in the forwards. I know we re not supposed to suggest such a thing but .....

moysider, it's a freedom of speech, you can say whatever the hell you want. I do wish O'Mahony brought back 1, possibly even 2 veteran forwards to the panel and see what would happen. It couldn't do his credibility any harm. And it does seem strange that Nallen is even bothering at this late stage of his playing career. I've been critical of Nallen in the past, and to be honest I don't think there's any room for him on the team at all this year, with the youth we have, hopefully Trevor Howley will be back soon enough as well and we might be ok in the defensive department come the summer. We're not too bad in defence so far either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

I'd sooner bring on Jimmy Nallen in the last ten minutes of a Connacht final than Colm Boyle or Kieran Conroy. He'll be useful to have but won't start. Its not as clear cut with AIdan Higgins and Heaney (as in they might yet start).
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 08, 2009, 11:46:07 PM
I'd sooner bring on Jimmy Nallen in the last ten minutes of a Connacht final than Colm Boyle or Kieran Conroy. He'll be useful to have but won't start. Its not as clear cut with AIdan Higgins and Heaney (as in they might yet start).

I agree and I ll admit to doing a bit of stirring here. But why were these lads not involved in the league - and they were needed with our Sigerson and U21 commitments? Johnno was moaning about these things yet these lads would have taken the pressure off to an extent. Getting greedy here but there were more points for us in this league.

This reminds me of the 80s when vets like Jimmy Burke and WJP would get to fighting weight until June/July. Is any other county still doing this? Even Dara s been back a few weeks now. Whelan, Jayo and Ryano all appeared ( in cameo roles anyway). Sean Marty and Canty too I m sure, not to mention PJ who was there for the FBD as well. I dunno. So much for settled teams and spines. And when is the now annual panel cull going to take place. It was important last year so I m sure if anything it ll be more pertinent this year with gate receipts in for a drastic hit I would expect.

kevmy

Apart from fitness thought there isn't much point in playing the 3 lads over the league. I mean do we really need to see Heaney and Nallen at FB and CB again or is it more important to see if Cafferkey, Cunniffe and O'Malley will sink or swim?

Knowing Heaney and Nallen they'll have kept themselves fit enough over time and with a bar on intercounty training until the new year... Also our fixture list of NY then a long wait should give them time to get up to speed. Either way I wouldn't see any of them starting (with the possible exception of Higgins in the corner)

ONeill

What size of a crowd will be heading down from Tyrone?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on April 09, 2009, 12:30:07 PM
Apart from fitness thought there isn't much point in playing the 3 lads over the league. I mean do we really need to see Heaney and Nallen at FB and CB again or is it more important to see if Cafferkey, Cunniffe and O'Malley will sink or swim?

Knowing Heaney and Nallen they'll have kept themselves fit enough over time and with a bar on intercounty training until the new year... Also our fixture list of NY then a long wait should give them time to get up to speed. Either way I wouldn't see any of them starting (with the possible exception of Higgins in the corner)

Not at all. We dont need to have seen them. But management need to know their best 6 defenders ( and who plays where) by now and I doubt they do. The last 2 years they got it wrong. I would have thought the league was about building a team for this year s championship - which takes time. Surely if the old lads are to feature they would have needed game time in competitive fixtures to develop an understanding with the younger fellas and vice-versa. You could have a scenario where McLoughlin and Cafferkeys first competitive experience of playing with a Nallen, Heaney or Higgins is in a championship match. Hardly ideal or maybe I worry too much.

Mr. Nakata

With no work on Monday, I'd say there will be a decent travelling party. Mr. Nakata will be at McHale Park and slurping on creamy pints of black in Mick Byrne's public house the night before, prior to the Cormac fundraiser. Looking forward to it. Would like to see a few regulars like Ricey and Justy back in when the team's announced tonight, these points might be required. A repeat performance to the last outing at Healy Park would be more than acceptable.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on April 09, 2009, 06:01:37 PM
Mr. Nakata will be at McHale Park and slurping on creamy pints of black in Mick Byrne's public house the night before, prior to the Cormac fundraiser. .

See you there  ;)

Would expect a decent enough crowd from Tyrone, for what should be an entertaining game, weather permitting.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 07, 2009, 10:20:35 PM
Assuming O'Neill is out I'd like to see something like this:
Devine
Ricey
Gormley
Swift
Harte
O'Neill
Jordan
Mellon
Hub
McGinley
B McGuigan
Joe McMahon
McAnnulla
S Cavanagh
Mulligan

In reality Curran will probably be in goal. Jason McAnulla hast had any game in the league and was excellent for u21's last week so maybe should get one chance to impress during the league. Not sure if Brian McGuigan is fit to play a full game yet. How did he get on for Ardboe on Sunday?

I was thinking Curran would be in goal because it was his turn. But he actually did nets in the last game I think so it should be Devine.

Farrandeelin

Well the weather couldn't get any worse around here on Sunday FóSB. Bloody hell, the amount of rain it made here all day! :o I'd say a fair few of ye will travel alright.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Last run out before Clones and a match up with the Street Urinators. Be good to get a couple of positive performances from a couple of the fringe men (or maybe Mickey'll name his strongest tonight).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 09, 2009, 07:32:14 PM
Well the weather couldn't get any worse around here on Sunday FóSB. Bloody hell, the amount of rain it made here all day!

Thanks for that Fd, things can only get better then! Ah well, if the worst of the weather comes to it, it's not like we're not used to it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...