Armagh vs. Cork Sunday, April 12

Started by Oraisteach, March 29, 2009, 06:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Abble on April 06, 2009, 08:17:03 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 04, 2009, 07:56:48 PM
Peadar has left (or was pushed depending on which version you listen to) the Armagh panel alright.  Pity for Armagh but great news for the Harps.  Hear he was deadly today in the Killeavey 7's, scored 0-10 (from 0-13)as Harps beat Cross in a group game and contributed 2-20 or something in the four games he played (and missed most of one of them afer going over on his ankle).  I dont think I'd be doing him an injustice by saying he just cant be arsed, just the way he is unfourtunately.

this is very disappointing. I'll hold my hands up and say that I have not followed the county as much as I should over the past couple of years but before this years league started i was intent on getting to as many games as possible and that was mainly to get seeing peadar. now as I know he played at the w/e in the 7's and he isnt injured, there is obviously some sort of disagreement somewhere about something between him and someone.

if the notion about peadar is that he just cant be arsed is floating around then thats a bit unfair. as most of us know he is naturally talented has natural fitness, the works, he's probably the type of lad who could do nothing for a whole year, grab his boots, go out on to field and skin all around him. we all know that these county teams are training almost like professional teams nowadays. now for lads in peadars category of ability(&mentality), to have to go out and put in the kind of training that is currently in place might all seem a bit unnecessary. its v v easy for us on the sidelines to be saying "for the love of the county" and that but some of the training might be a step too far...but i do know if he's thrown a jersey he can do things.

I don't know yet why he's no longer on the panel but all i can say is, that this is a big loss for us, v disappointing...at the end of the day we need new men coming in and having a full squad of men to call on...i'll still be in cork at the weekend though

cant see the logic in your post.what is his type of mentality meant mean??im good so i dont train?  the lad maybe talented and i for 1 would love to have him on the panel but better off rid of players like that.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: corn02 on April 09, 2009, 04:47:02 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 09, 2009, 03:08:44 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps these players simply do not fit into the way that Peter McDonnell wants to operate?  Like when any player leaves/retires/is dropped the squad will still go on.  Perhaps on their performances at training a decision was made not to give them any game time.  Armagh started off the league campaign poorly and could have fallen into the relegation trap.  Now they are in the position to get promoted and that is only a good thing.  Playing against better quality teams brings a player on more than playing against lesser teams.

I doubt if anyone on here knows what went on at training but I am sure if they fitted into the plans they would still be there.  Of the names posted Francie, McKeever and McGrane retired.  Line drawn under them.  Peader Toal has bags of ability but that only takes you so far at championship level.  Even when I was playing in Cross, and this is 3-4 years ago, I was told he would not make it(by a Harps man) because of his attitude.  From what I know of the other players mentioned I think they are good, but they a cut below senior county level.  It may not have been done in the best way but who really cares in the long run.  If these players take the hump and cry into their beer, they are not worth having around the team.

Move on and lets hope for a good result on Sunday and for the other results to go our way.  I have heard a few rumblings of discontent in Cork also.

Bit harsh BC are you saying they were perhaps dropped or am I picking it up wrong as is usually the case?

I know McGrane and Bellew would certainly have been welcomed with open arms. Don; know what the craic with McKeever was.

Reading between the lines corn I would say it was a case of jumping before being pushed.  I don't see how what I say is harsh. Players come and players go.  Some are good enough, some are not.  If the management did not think that the players merited more regular football then why should he play the, to keep keyborad warriors like us happy?  Now is the time to get the championship team ready so the lads that were there who were not likely to make the cut are better off being out of the squad at this stage.

Move on now.

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 09, 2009, 09:44:08 PM
Quote from: corn02 on April 09, 2009, 04:47:02 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 09, 2009, 03:08:44 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps these players simply do not fit into the way that Peter McDonnell wants to operate?  Like when any player leaves/retires/is dropped the squad will still go on.  Perhaps on their performances at training a decision was made not to give them any game time.  Armagh started off the league campaign poorly and could have fallen into the relegation trap.  Now they are in the position to get promoted and that is only a good thing.  Playing against better quality teams brings a player on more than playing against lesser teams.

I doubt if anyone on here knows what went on at training but I am sure if they fitted into the plans they would still be there.  Of the names posted Francie, McKeever and McGrane retired.  Line drawn under them.  Peader Toal has bags of ability but that only takes you so far at championship level.  Even when I was playing in Cross, and this is 3-4 years ago, I was told he would not make it(by a Harps man) because of his attitude.  From what I know of the other players mentioned I think they are good, but they a cut below senior county level.  It may not have been done in the best way but who really cares in the long run.  If these players take the hump and cry into their beer, they are not worth having around the team.

Move on and lets hope for a good result on Sunday and for the other results to go our way.  I have heard a few rumblings of discontent in Cork also.

Bit harsh BC are you saying they were perhaps dropped or am I picking it up wrong as is usually the case?

I know McGrane and Bellew would certainly have been welcomed with open arms. Don; know what the craic with McKeever was.

Reading between the lines corn I would say it was a case of jumping before being pushed.  I don't see how what I say is harsh. Players come and players go.  Some are good enough, some are not.  If the management did not think that the players merited more regular football then why should he play the, to keep keyborad warriors like us happy?  Now is the time to get the championship team ready so the lads that were there who were not likely to make the cut are better off being out of the squad at this stage.

Move on now.

I am certain McGrane and Bellew would not have been dropped.

The GAA

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The GAA

illdecide

Quote from: The GAA on April 10, 2009, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: illdecide on April 10, 2009, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: The GAA on April 10, 2009, 10:52:08 AM

Any word on a team?

Have we any players left ??? :P

Have ye yer boots? whats size are ye - boots and dress?

I sure have but i'm afraid to travel down to Cork...fecking scary place that...

I'm assuming he'll play his full hand in this game (including the U21 guys) I know their final is coming next week but whats more important...winning in Cork and getting promotion to DIvision 1 or winning the Ulster U21's...???????????

ArmaghGAAforum

Quote from: illdecide on April 10, 2009, 11:49:29 AM
Quote from: The GAA on April 10, 2009, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: illdecide on April 10, 2009, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: The GAA on April 10, 2009, 10:52:08 AM

Any word on a team?

Have we any players left ??? :P

Have ye yer boots? whats size are ye - boots and dress?

I sure have but i'm afraid to travel down to Cork...fecking scary place that...

I'm assuming he'll play his full hand in this game (including the U21 guys) I know their final is coming next week but whats more important...winning in Cork and getting promotion to DIvision 1 or winning the Ulster U21's...???????????

I don't think gaining promotion is a priority, division 2 is just as competitive.  Sunday is all about further preparation for the tyrone game and the players putting in a good display, promotion is merely a bonus.  The u21's continuing through the championship will only benefit the seniors in the future because of the experience they will gain.

Abble

if you can see promotion is achievable then you must go for it....div 2 is competitive alright but I think there is a bit of a gap opening up between 1 and 2 and 1 is where you need to be at

corn02

It's only really Toner though isn't it?

I know Rodgers is as but I don't think he would have started anyway.

The GAA

Personally, i'd like to see Forker in the team too

illdecide

I personally think Div 1 is much stronger and Armagh's young players would benifit more playing there than in Div 2, this has to be Armagh's target for this weekend (at all costs) I know we need other teams to do us a favour but i think playing in Div 1 next year would be better than winning the Ulster U21's

armaghniac

However promotion to Div 1 is not entirely within our control, we need Laois or Meath to step up to the plate. Either way we need to be putting  it up to Cork to have any prospects for the summer.
Will there be more Armagh people there than Corkonians?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Onion Bag

Quote from: The GAA on April 10, 2009, 12:32:43 PM

Personally, i'd like to see Forker in the team too

Forker is not gutsy enough for it, he needs wing mirrors, bags of skill though
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!