Doire V Dhún na nGall NFL 2009 12/04/09

Started by jodyb, March 29, 2009, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

Quote from: J70 on April 12, 2009, 09:25:44 PM

That Derry were favourites and edged the match, I would have no argument with. Your experimental side was better than ours on the day. That they have "too much talent for Donegal" and should win "even thought they are missing their strongest  players" strikes me as baseless arrogance: Derry haven't done much of note over the past few seasons - you won a league, same as us, for what that was worth. As a Donegal man I would not be afraid of meeting Derry in the championship, even though I do think you're a bit better overall at the moment. I would still go into such a tie expecting Donegal to be in with a decent shout, even if Derry would be favourites. In other words, fairly shite as we are at the moment, I don't think Derry are exactly world beaters either! But, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months!

Edged the match? Are you serious, that Score line flattered Donegal who were relatively poor and depended in Roper and Christy Toye for everything.

That they have "too much talent for Donegal" and should win "even thought they are missing their strongest  players" strikes me as baseless arrogance

The did have too much talent for Dongal, Derry's panel is along stronger than Donegals, some of those 'experimental' players are every bit as good as the starting players, In the last 3 seasons Derry has reached an AI 1/4 final, 2 league finals, won one of them and still have to contest one, also they haven't been beaten by Donegals since 2006. I can't understand how you call that a baseless argument, because everything I said happened, there was never any danger in the entire 70 minutes of Donegal winning, and they don't have anyone (aside from maybe Murphy) who looks to be able to step into Devennys or Ropers shoes.

I'm, not slagging off Donegal because I do like them as a county and as a football team I like to see them doing well, but based on current Donegal form, although you should be Antrim easily, I think Down, Fermanagh and Cavan have every bit as good a chance of making the Ulster Final, I actually fancy Down from that side of the draw. Also, if the new rules pass congress Donegal are beat because they don't have the depth of panel to cope with them.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 13, 2009, 05:05:11 PM
In the last 3 seasons Derry has reached an AI 1/4 final, 2 league finals, won one of them and still have to contest one, also they haven't been beaten by Donegals since 2006

:o

We are a force to behold in the championship all right. What would William Wallace say to a Derry-Donegal squabble?

"You're so concerned with squabbling for the scraps from Mickey Hartes table that you've missed your God given right to something better."

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Oakleafer93

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 13, 2009, 05:20:26 PM
In the last 3 seasons Derry has reached an AI 1/4 final, 2 league finals, won one of them and still have to contest one, also they haven't been beaten by Donegals since 2006

:o

We are a force to behold in the championship all right. What would William Wallace say to a Derry-Donegal squabble?

"You're so concerned with squabbling for the scraps from Mickey Hartes table that you've missed your God given right to something better."

That was in comparison to Donegal, nobody mentioned Mickey Harte.

whiskeysteve

Jaysis, I know it was in comparison to Donegal. Im just making the point that you are arguing Derry are a superior force to Donegal when in actual fact both counties have done feck all of note in the championship in years. Feck getting to a back door all ireland quarter. I wouldnt use that as a boast of superiority over anyone, least of all Donegal who have made the Ulster final 3 times since the last time we were in one. Bit of perspective like!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

KingLarsson

wer guna do he treble this year. no doubt at all. Red and White Army!!!

J70

Quote from: J70 on April 12, 2009, 09:25:44 PM

That Derry were favourites and edged the match, I would have no argument with. Your experimental side was better than ours on the day. That they have "too much talent for Donegal" and should win "even thought they are missing their strongest  players" strikes me as baseless arrogance: Derry haven't done much of note over the past few seasons - you won a league, same as us, for what that was worth. As a Donegal man I would not be afraid of meeting Derry in the championship, even though I do think you're a bit better overall at the moment. I would still go into such a tie expecting Donegal to be in with a decent shout, even if Derry would be favourites. In other words, fairly shite as we are at the moment, I don't think Derry are exactly world beaters either! But, maybe I'm wrong. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months!

Edged the match? Are you serious, that Score line flattered Donegal who were relatively poor and depended in Roper and Christy Toye for everything.

That they have "too much talent for Donegal" and should win "even thought they are missing their strongest  players" strikes me as baseless arrogance

The did have too much talent for Dongal, Derry's panel is along stronger than Donegals, some of those 'experimental' players are every bit as good as the starting players, In the last 3 seasons Derry has reached an AI 1/4 final, 2 league finals, won one of them and still have to contest one, also they haven't been beaten by Donegals since 2006. I can't understand how you call that a baseless argument, because everything I said happened, there was never any danger in the entire 70 minutes of Donegal winning, and they don't have anyone (aside from maybe Murphy) who looks to be able to step into Devennys or Ropers shoes.

I'm, not slagging off Donegal because I do like them as a county and as a football team I like to see them doing well, but based on current Donegal form, although you should be Antrim easily, I think Down, Fermanagh and Cavan have every bit as good a chance of making the Ulster Final, I actually fancy Down from that side of the draw. Also, if the new rules pass congress Donegal are beat because they don't have the depth of panel to cope with them.

It was a league match in April. And what, you've won three matches in a row against us, including two league games? Big deal! I'm not disputing you'd probably beat us 7 times out of 10 at the moment, but then we'd probably have said the same about Derry going into games against the likes of Fermanagh and Longford and Monaghan over recent seasons. I just don't think Derry are that much superior that their supporters should be overly confident going into any match against another mid-level team without their main men. That's just my opinion however. And yes, Donegal will have to pull their socks up to make an Ulster final this year, but its generally when written off and there's no pressure that they deliver. Doesn't mean they will, but low expectations never do Donegal any harm.

lynchbhoy

I firmly believe that donegal have as much talent as tyrone but a combo of in-fighting and maybe bse/cjd have caused them to not get near their potential
Derry , imo have a bit more talent thatn that too, but recently underachieved every bit as much as donegal
imo

Katchit

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 14, 2009, 10:10:54 AM
I firmly believe that donegal have as much talent as tyrone but a combo of in-fighting and maybe bse/cjd have caused them to not get near their potential
Derry , imo have a bit more talent thatn that too, but recently underachieved every bit as much as donegal
imo

Donegal have as much talent as Tyrone ? Please catch yourself on. Not only do Tyrone have a vastly superior starting fifteen but their squath has strength and depth that Donegal could only dream about.

Derry are a better side than Donegal on paper and have got the better of them in recent encounters so I wouldn't be worried about meeting them in any competitive fixture this year, Derry's problems lie within themselves, mentality hopefully is changing and hopefully they continue to adopt to Cassidy's new 'system'.