Insure your dog

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 27, 2009, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: delboy on March 28, 2009, 11:43:49 PM
Why not just set up a direct debit of about £10 a month into a bank account, don't touch it until you need the money for vets fees. You'd have to be desperately unlucky to come out a loser compared to a traditional insurance policy. It also has the advantage that you will be be holding the purse strings and not some insurance company who can refuse treatments on the basis of it being ''experimental'.

And if your dog attacks someone and you get a heft fine for several hundred thousand then what do you do.
This is insurance we are talking about- there is no cheap options and as with all insurance you will probably never need it and being paying out regardless/
BUT that one day you need it makes it all worth while.  Petplan was good enough for me - Direct Line sounds decent too from an earlier post.  A tenner a month isn't bas for the amount of coverage you get in my opinion
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

delboy

Quote from: The Iceman on March 29, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
Quote from: delboy on March 28, 2009, 11:43:49 PM
Why not just set up a direct debit of about £10 a month into a bank account, don't touch it until you need the money for vets fees. You'd have to be desperately unlucky to come out a loser compared to a traditional insurance policy. It also has the advantage that you will be be holding the purse strings and not some insurance company who can refuse treatments on the basis of it being ''experimental'.

And if your dog attacks someone and you get a heft fine for several hundred thousand then what do you do.
This is insurance we are talking about- there is no cheap options and as with all insurance you will probably never need it and being paying out regardless/
BUT that one day you need it makes it all worth while.  Petplan was good enough for me - Direct Line sounds decent too from an earlier post.  A tenner a month isn't bas for the amount of coverage you get in my opinion

I've two mini snauzers i think i'll take my chances that they wont attack anyone and land me with a bill for several hundred thousand. But as you say if you are that risk averse then best to overpay someone else willing to take the risk and make money.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The Iceman on March 27, 2009, 05:33:34 PM
I had the Doberman insured through Pet Plan - very reasonable and coverage up to a Million if he had ever went off the rails and attacked someone.
Worth it for the peace of mind and would help with medical bills if the dog was hit by a car or anything like that.

Does the one type of insurance cover the dog for everything, I mean the insurance that covers you in case your dog were to attack someone, does this also cover the dog if he were to get sick and needed operations or are they both separate.

I have a black German Shepard I could do with getting insured.

Larry Duff

Quote from: Orior on March 28, 2009, 02:50:01 PM
Try Tesco.

I would agree, got this from Tesco's - Great to know I don't get hit with massive vet bills if the pup takes ill

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-7210.aspx