Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Started by The Gs Man, March 26, 2009, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Ok, i know it might be a shameless plug, but hey!  Sue me!  Everyone loves this film so you could do worse than head to this:

The Oh Yeah music centre, in association with the Jameson Film Festival Presents a special musical event:

'O Brother Where Art Thou': the live soundtrack
Spring & Airbrake, Belfast, Sunday March 29, 8pm, £8

Some of our best live artists will recreate the classic soundtrack to the legendary film.

'O Brother' was released in 2000 and starred George Clooney, Holly Hunter and John Goodman. The soundtrack was awarded a Grammy the following year.

The set-list for March 29 is:
1. Po'Lazarus - Connor Scullion
2. Big Rock Candy Mountain - Cat Malojian
3. You Are My Sunshine - Angie McCrisken
4. Down In The River To Pray - Brigid O' Neill
5. I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow - Dolbro Dan
6. Hard Time Killing Floor Blues - Paul McMordie
7. I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow (inst.) - Paul McMordie
8. Keep on the Sunny Side of Life - Katie Richardson
9. Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby - Katie Richardson
10. I'll Fly Away - Captain Kennedy
11. In The Highways - Wookalily
12. O'Death - Kieran Murray
13. I Am Weary - Brigid O' Neill
14. In the Jailhouse Now - Broken String Band
15. I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow - Broken String Band
16. Indian War Whoop - TBC
17. Lonesome Valley - Connor Scullion
18. Angel Band – Wookalily

For this special commission, Jameson Belfast Film Festival and Oh Yeah! have teamed up to present an evening of music from this classic film soundtrack. Ten local singers and musicians will be asked to perform a song each from the 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' soundtrack and clips from the film will be screened during the intervals.

The best soundtracks are like movies for the ears, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? joins the likes of American Graffiti and The Harder They Come as cinematic pinnacles of song. The music from the Coen brothers' Depression-era film taps into the source from which the purest strains of country, blues, bluegrass, folk, and gospel music flow. Producer T-Bone Burnett enlists performances of traditional material, in arrangements that are either 'a cappella' or feature bare-bones accompaniment.

Highlights range from the aching purity of "Down to the River to Pray" to the plainspoken faith of "Keep on the Sunny Side" and the chillingly plaintive "O Death." Oh Yeah! has invited a series of artists to take on the interpretations, including The Broken String Band, Jackie Rainey, Cara Robinson, Eilish Phillips, Captain Kennedy and Cat Malojian.

The festival box office is 028 9024 6609
www.belfastfilmfestival.org
www.ohyeahbelfast.com
Keep 'er lit