Where are they now.... The Underdogs??

Started by irunthev, March 25, 2009, 10:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: stpauls on March 26, 2009, 04:59:48 PM
Quote from: Downgael2008 on March 26, 2009, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: The Corporal on March 26, 2009, 01:44:03 PM
Aye John Haughey of Annaclone, think he was Annaclone's captain a couple of years ago.
Poacher was a poor enough footballer and not sure how he started the Underdogs team.

Hard to believe Donaghy and Pearse O'Neill came from this, 2 quality players

Haughey is a strong footballer, seen him playin for annaclone in intermediate final last year god only knows what he is doing now by all acccounts a bit of of a loose cannon!

Poacher wouldnt say was a poor footballer more a limited player, played against him couple of years ago when he played for castlewellan? Didnt know he played for mitchels? By all accounts making a name for himself in coaching circles though!

Dan Mc Cabe cant say iv ever seen him play but think he might have appeared for down u21s?? can anyone confirm this.

was there anymore down men on any of the panels ??

not sure we are talking about the same Stephen Poucher then, the one i know is a Newry man, and probably never played for Castlewellan!!

One and the same Pouch (as he styles himself). Played for Shamrocks then Castlewellan and then Mitchels.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

tyronefan

Quote from: Muzz on March 26, 2009, 02:13:08 PM
Not the same John McElholm then.  This guy was PE teacher there about 2000.  Defo not 49.  :-P 

The John McElholm the P.E. Teacher was definitely the guy on underdogs.  Just not sure if he still is a PE teacher there.

It is the same John McElhome, He is still teaching PE in Derry and is also the managing Omagh

thewobbler

I assume Barra O'Muiri from Armagh is Barry Murray from Newtownhamilton? He played a handful of league games from Armagh a few years back, but never made the Championship set-up. Was a lethal free-taker.

Stephen Poacher was a fair enough footballer, and very useful when in the mood. Don't think he ever donned a Shamrocks shirt though, which would put him higher in my estimation ;-) I'd suggest he had more to offer a team than Donal McAnallen.

I'm pretty sure John Fegan (back at Rostrevor now) was a panellist one year, and one of his clubmate Mackins was involved the same year.

saffron sam2

Which Newry club did Ross Carr manage? I ask because himself and Poacher are alleged to have had a massive following out. I thought it was Shamrocks?

I'll check with butterknife in the morning.

saffron sam2

Then it was Mitchels all along for Poacher (apart from his Castlewellan sojourn).

Bit of a come down though for Ross to end up with Down.

INDIANA

JOhn Kelly from the first series plays hurling for dublin
Colm Donohue first series plays for St Marks in Dublin.
Padraig O Connor plays for Balinteer St Johns in Dublin 2nd series

brokencrossbar1

I played with Mickey Greene in Cork who was on the Underdogs in 2005 I think.  He moved up to Athlone last year and lined out a few times for Westmeath.  Handy enough player, speed to burn, loves his own reflection ;D

Triggerhappy

Captain of the first underdogs team was Paddy Kelly. I think he originally played with Emyvale but then transferred to Monaghan Harps after a falling out. I do believe he exacted retribution on emyvale!!! He is now managing Derrynoose in Division 4 of Armagh.

Martin Murphy and Brendan Rafferty (from 2nd series) both were playing club football with Granemore up to last year and Martin is manager of Derrynoose ladies team.

Superstar

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 26, 2009, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: corn02 on March 26, 2009, 01:02:26 PM
John Haughey Annaclone I take it?

John Haughey, Annaclone's finest.

Currently putting fillings in the mouth of Aboriginies in the Land Down Under.

Last time I seen him was in the Hatfield the day after Annaclone won the IFC in November, eating scrumpled up newspapers whilst topless.

Legend.

The mans a disaster area, poor fella was homesick on new years day, full as a monkey phoned home from oz to O'Reillys bar in Banbrdge and proceeded to talk pure rubbish in my ear for a good 45 mins

Good lad tho

If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

trueunderdog

I was in the squad so here is your answer =

Underdogs Team v Dublin Senior Football Team
Sunday 14th December 2003

Glenn Kelly,  Dublin - Garda in dublin, great goalie with good hands
Cathal O'Shea, Kerry Australia, put ciaran whelan on his ass in first 2 mins in parnell good strong defender
Patrick Kelly, (Captain) Monaghan Managing club in monaghan great lad excellant leader and got a run with monaghan for while
John Haughey, DownAustralia, strongest man in the team loved his grub, solid performer
Fergus McAuliffe, Kerrygreat left footed free taker living in kerry
Robbie Hannon, KildarePlayed in county final last year in kildare at full back, also played for county, golf steward in k club
Kevin Cotter, Corklast seen at sigerson in belfast having lost his wallet and mobile phone looking for a black taxi!! should never had got that beard for the dub game
Murt Kelleher, Corksigerson football was last seen, broke his jaw playing real warrior from cork
Donal McAnallen, Tyronemr gaa and did a lot of donkey work in middle of the field, didnt get enough credit
Padraig McGovern, CavanPlays for Denn in cavan
John Kelly, Dublin Lined out for Dublin hurlers last year against cork, not sure if he is still in panel
Brian McGeary, Armaghplayed for armagh but broke his leg, very unlucky but a good forward
Steven Poacher, Downreal character of the team always up to something and excellant free taker
Sean Hussey, Kerryowns a sports shop in kerry very good footballing brain
Brian O'Neachtáin, Brian Mayoscored 1-1 against dubs lives a quiet life in mayo

Subs:
Joe Cunnane, Roscommonbig joe was a gentle giant and loved the drink too much and still does
Mark Wright, Kildare
John McElholm, Tyrone
Seamus Kane, Donegalwas last seen on the back page of the irish star having ran onto the pitch during the australian rules series
Ciron Whoriskey, Donegalplayed for donegal u21s at one stage
Rory O'Donnell, Donegalpe teacher in donegal and played senior football for 4 masters
Colm Donohue, Dublinanother fine hurler but also a good footballer, think him and j kelly are same clubs in dublin st marks
Padraig Gerald Kelly, Galwaysub goalkeeper and then joined the army
Craig Mulligan, Dublin the pin up boy for all the adverts and posters, him and sherlock  ;D

To be fair all these lads were gass lads from normal clubs with no ego's and just went out and enjoyed being part of the 1st ever series. Great idea at the time, think its been a bit outplayed now but the 1st series will always have been the best.

Bensars

My guess you're

"Steven Poacher, Downreal character of the team always up to something and excellant free taker"

full back

My guess is you are

"Padraig McGovern, Cavan Plays for Denn in cavan"

Mike Sheehy

QuoteFergus McAuliffe, Kerrygreat left footed free taker living in kerry

Where in Kerry was he from ?

trueunderdog

just outside of sneem mike. do you know him? where are you from?