Brian cody story

Started by youngfella, March 24, 2009, 01:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 24, 2009, 07:43:41 PM
Pulled this off website
Gerry McInerney's white boots
At a time when Ireland seemed trapped for ever under a grey, concrete sky in the 1980s, ravaged by unemployment and emigration, McInerney used to don his cape and fly home from America every summer and bring a splash of colour to the Galway hurlers. His proper tan, thin moustache and mullet — a classic of the genre — were a good start but it was the boots that stole the show. They looked as if they'd been dunked in a bucket of emulsion before the game. McInerney formed part of one of the great half-back lines, careering forward with the ball at every opportunity, his feet moving in a white blur. While Galway were winning All-Irelands, McInerney kept them hip.

He was a class player.

Surrounded by other class players

Are those boots not still hanging up in his bar or does he still own the bar in Kinvara?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Zulu on March 24, 2009, 08:30:10 PM
I'd have my doubts about that story,there was a similar one floating around about Paidi O'Se and if either are true it relects poorly on both men IMO. The idea that a coach who doesn't tolerate white boots is a 'straight down the line coach who doesn't put up with any bullshit' is complete nonsense. If SON or Shefflin wore yellow boots they'd still be able to play and that is all a coach should be concerned about. I'm not saying that you can't be a bit 'old school' and still be a very good coach but being 'old school' doesn't make you a good coach nor is it anything to be applauding.

In the 2004 documentary "Marooned" Tomás O'Flaherta tells a story of a trial match shortly after they took over in Westmeath. He tells Paidí that "your man there is playing well" and he directly quotes Paidí as replying "Ah he is but sure when have you ever seen a player in white boots who was any good?". So whatever about Cody, Paidí O'Sé definitely isn't a fan...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

longrunsthefox

In 2005 Martin McHugh came out with similar drivel about no dyed hair and or white boots in Armagh team - a week later Mugsy scored that goal against the Dubs, 1-5 in the replay and got man of the match in the final. As Martin Luther King said, 'It is not the colour of a GAA man's boots or hair that counts but the depth of his character' - 

bottlethrower7

theres plenty of other games lads with white books can be playing.

will be interesting to see how Cody and young Mulhall get on!

bingobus

The Banty, Monaghan football manager, doesn't allow coloured boots. Thats a fact.

He is prob copying Cody and Paidi though.

passedit

Quote from: bingobus on March 25, 2009, 04:58:24 PM
The Banty, Monaghan football manager, doesn't allow coloured boots. Thats a fact.

I have a pair each of white, blue and silver boots. The common denominator is that they all cost less than £20. Anyone trying to dictate to me not to wear them is liable to end up trying to extract one from part of his anatomy. I'm not an IC player though and if I was I'd be happy to wear whatever colour the county board was buying. :P
Don't Panic

Zulu

I'd have no problem with a manager who was a bit contempteous about lads wearing white boots (or some such) but to actually make an issue of it or prevent lads from wearing different coloured boots appears to me to show a level of insecurity. Sport should be enjoyable and lads should be able to express themselves and show a bit of personality, as long as what they do or wear doesn't negatively impact upon their performance then a manager should have more to worry about.

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on March 25, 2009, 04:58:24 PM

Very True

GalwayBayBoy

Players wearing pink, green or orange boots doesn't seem to have hurt Alex Ferguson or Man U from winning trophies. I know in GAA the thought of someone wearing different coloured boots to jet black is tantamount to declaring yourself a metrosexual poseur but at the end of the day the colour of your footwear doesn't really matter a jot. Black boots won't let you kick the ball any further or more accurately.

Maybe Brian Cody is a secret fashionista as he knows that coloured boots would surely clash terribly with black and amber vertical stripes. He's the Gok Wan of hurling.

the colonel

more often than not coloured boots tend to be lighter and not really anything like a leather boot. they offer less protection, but without slide tackles in GAA it shouldn't really matter but they do seem wrong!
the difference between success and failure is energy

corcaioch

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 25, 2009, 02:02:23 PM
I'd have my doubts about that story,there was a similar one floating around about Paidi O'Se and if either are true it relects poorly on both men IMO. The idea that a coach who doesn't tolerate white boots is a 'straight down the line coach who doesn't put up with any bullshit' is complete nonsense. If SON or Shefflin wore yellow boots they'd still be able to play and that is all a coach should be concerned about. I'm not saying that you can't be a bit 'old school' and still be a very good coach but being 'old school' doesn't make you a good coach nor is it anything to be applauding.

In the 2004 documentary "Marooned" Tomás O'Flaherta tells a story of a trial match shortly after they took over in Westmeath. He tells Paidí that "your man there is playing well" and he directly quotes Paidí as replying "Ah he is but sure when have you ever seen a player in white boots who was any good?". So whatever about Cody, Paidí O'Sé definitely isn't a fan...

Just watched "Marooned" again recently. The white boots one was almost as good as Paidí telling his team they'd have to be like "the good f***in detective" for the next while and tell nobody anything.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: cicfada on March 24, 2009, 07:45:32 PM
another tale about that match....the Tipp bus was spotted on the ring road outside Kilkenny city at 2-05 25 mins before the match! How seriously did Tipp take the match with that kind of planning I wonder??
Apparently Tipp did their warm up elsewhere and shuttled to Nowlan Park.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: corcaioch on March 25, 2009, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 25, 2009, 02:02:23 PM

Just watched "Marooned" again recently. The white boots one was almost as good as Paidí telling his team they'd have to be like "the good f***in detective" for the next while and tell nobody anything.

That was more to do with the fact that "you won't be off duty, you'll never be off till this Leinster Championship is won!" And he was right...  ;D Personal favourite is where he has a go at Budda, "you were fucked out over the sideline like you'd get a loaf of bread and f**k it out..."  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Personal favourite is where he has a go at Budda, "you were fucked out over the sideline like you'd get a loaf of bread and f**k it out..." 

I nearly pissed myself when I heard that one - pure class !!!!!!  :D :D