Galway v Mayo, Tuam NFL Round VI 29 March 2009

Started by Barney, March 23, 2009, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Tate

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 27, 2009, 09:16:55 AM

No Connor Mortimor? Whats the story there?

I couldn't be sure but Has Damien Burke not cleaned Conor every time they lined up against each other? The way he is playing he is bound to get cleaned again so no harm dropping him if that's the reason. He hasn't scored from play now in two and bit games I think.

Duine Eile

Or Johno is playing mindgames and Mort will be in the first 15 come Sunday. Or maybe he has been dropped, hard to see Mayo starting without him though.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on March 27, 2009, 12:51:44 AM
Again this year with April upon us we and 2 rounds of the league to go we hear James Nallen and Heaney will be back presently. Welcome news naturally. But why so late? Why do we do things so differently?

its good to hear the lads are back i hope the didn't have to attend a trial game :P ;) whats the story with the panel this year if memory serves me correct John o' was mad to get it finalised at 30 players around this time last year
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tubberman

Kieran Conroy did well when he came on last week so I'm not surprised to see him starting, but you'd imagine he'd be more of a half back than a corner back.
A bit surprised Tom Parsons isn't starting midflield to free up Harte for the HF line. 
No Conor Mort is a big surprise! He hasn't been playing well but has been an ever-present in the team and is still our most regular scorer (although not in the last couple of games). Maybe it will do him no harm.
Very surprised Austie gets another start - maybe Conor will start instead of him. Aidan O'Shea starting full forward. Big ask of a leaving cert student but he is probably our best option...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tubberman on March 27, 2009, 09:47:29 AM
. Aidan O'Shea starting full forward. Big ask of a leaving cert student but he is probably our best option...

plus he is making a qulaity full back in Hanley a lot to ask of an 18 year old allright
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

mouview

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 26, 2009, 10:06:30 PM
Subs bench isn't looking too hectic. :-\  Fiachra looks to be the only option we have to bring on, Lord help us. :o Just heard on the radio Cormac Bane is suspended, didn't hear anything about that, and Mullahy has work commitments, I'm guessing Nicky's back is still bothering him.

Subs bench looks down right frightening, no cover at all for the forwards. Bane is suspended because of 2 yellow cards accumulated I believe. Strange as it may seem, we're fairly stuck for reserve forwards. Poor old Mattie won't get too many more chances either, I know he's only back from injury but he adds nothing to it. Surprised Sice has been displaced by David Reilly, maybe Sammon wants a closer look. Home side under a small bit of pressure in this one - I'm sure they don't want to be waiting for the last game to get a result against Kerry only to be pipped for a NFL final spot by Derry. It's deja-vu all over again!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on March 27, 2009, 10:17:00 AM
Subs bench isn't looking too hectic. :-\  Fiachra looks to be the only option we have to bring on, Lord help us. :o Just heard on the radio Cormac Bane is suspended, didn't hear anything about that, and Mullahy has work commitments, I'm guessing Nicky's back is still bothering him.

Poor old Mattie won't get too many more chances either, I know he's only back from injury but he adds nothing to it.

A bit harsh on Mattie there. He was probably one of our better players last year. Didn't even seem to run down as many blind alleys as he used to. Not sure he'll make much of an impact on Sunday though given he was out for the guts of 6 months. I would have thought Sammon would have stuck one of the young lads like Martyn or Ryan on the subs bench for forward cover.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 27, 2009, 10:01:42 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 27, 2009, 09:47:29 AM
. Aidan O'Shea starting full forward. Big ask of a leaving cert student but he is probably our best option...

plus he is making a qulaity full back in Hanley a lot to ask of an 18 year old allright

This is the thing Deel Rover. It's hard to object to O'Shea playing - there are lots of examples in other counties where if you're good enough you're old enough. But what is bothering me is that O'Shea is being asked not to come in and get used to the big time, but to save the day. He was asked to save the day last week, and now he's asked to do it again from the start. And dammit it's a lot to ask any young fella, whoever he is. I just hope he's not ruined for the future if things go badly.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 27, 2009, 11:06:49 AM
I just hope he's not ruined for the future if things go badly.

he seems a confident enough  lad icc even the last day against dublin he was mad keen to take a sideline ball before conereen eventually got it off him . Thing is i don't think he is a full forward ( thats just my opinion) even the last day a few balls came out the sidleline and the full back depite starting behind him managed to win the ball ( now the fact that he played the under 21's could have something to do with it but in my opinion he doesn't have the pace for a full forward if we play a two man full forward line like we did against Dublin. He needs to be out between the half forward and midfield imo but  he is probably too inexperienced yet to play there
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

RedandGreenSniper

I'm glad. He's our best forward and we'll need him in championship but it sends out a strong message that form is vital and nobody is above being dropped. When we left Ballina the last day we were sure that Conor and Trevor were above reproach. I only hope that there's not a late change bringing Conor in. I reckon its a brave but key move by JOM.

Asking a lot of Aidan O'Shea. Physically he's able for it but he's having far too busy a spring for an 18 year old doing his Leaving Cert. I'm not sure why Ronaldson isn't being given a run at corner-forward. I'm not sure about Austie starting in the corner. I'd sooner see Ronaldson and Sweeney work off O'Shea and bring any amount of options into wing-forward - Padden, Kelly, Kilcoyne or even Harte with Parsons or S O'Shea coming in at midfield.

Conroy has shown enough to deserve a start on Sunday but not sure about him in the corner, unless he is able to follow someone out the field - Matty Clancy probably.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 27, 2009, 11:05:49 AM

Poor old Mattie won't get too many more chances either, I know he's only back from injury but he adds nothing to it.

A bit harsh on Mattie there. He was probably one of our better players last year. Didn't even seem to run down as many blind alleys as he used to. Not sure he'll make much of an impact on Sunday though given he was out for the guts of 6 months. I would have thought Sammon would have stuck one of the young lads like Martyn or Ryan on the subs bench for forward cover.

I don't mean it to sound harsh because he's a good honest lad in fairness, just he's not up to it against the better teams - Kerry always seem to find him out for e.g. Ryan isn't good enough either and Martyn hasn't followed on from being a good minor 2 years ago.

Duine Eile, how are Colin Forde and Tomas Fahy at present? 2 extremely promising players hindered by injury, though again they are defenders.

Duine Eile

I think Colin Forde should be back playing for the club soon if he's not already, did his cruciate about this time last year and Tom Fahy missed the u-21 against Mayo with a hamstring injury, probably over the worst of it by now. Wouldn't think they'd be ready for senior yet though to be honest, they're only 18, Tom Fahy is doing his leaving as far as I know. Another year or so with the u-21s would probably be a better option. Then again in last year's club games Tom played better than Nicky most days so who knows, he might be a great addition.

kevmy

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 27, 2009, 11:21:03 AM
Conor's dropped alright, he's named at 24 in the programme as far as I know. I'm glad. He's our best forward and we'll need him in championship but it sends out a strong message that form is vital and nobody is above being dropped. When we left Ballina the last day we were sure that Conor and Trevor were above reproach. I only hope that there's not a late change bringing Conor in. I reckon its a brave but key move by JOM.

Asking a lot of Aidan O'Shea. Physically he's able for it but he's having far too busy a spring for an 18 year old doing his Leaving Cert. I'm not sure why Ronaldson isn't being given a run at corner-forward. I'm not sure about Austie starting in the corner. I'd sooner see Ronaldson and Sweeney work off O'Shea and bring any amount of options into wing-forward - Padden, Kelly, Kilcoyne or even Harte with Parsons or S O'Shea coming in at midfield.

Conroy has shown enough to deserve a start on Sunday but not sure about him in the corner, unless he is able to follow someone out the field - Matty Clancy probably.

Ronaldson played as a sweeper between half backs and full backs last week and he might be asked to reprise this role. I've seen him a lot over the years at club level and he does a lot of his best work out the field. He's a great passer of the ball and is also fairly good running with it too. Having said that his eye for goal is blunted out the field.

Big call to drop Conor but we'll have to see how it goes. We don't know whats going on in the camp, he could be tired, unfit or slightly injured. Or he could just be dropped as a warning. Although we don't need to find out anything new from Conor we know what he is going to give us.

Ciaran Conroy done well when coming on the last day but I couldn't say he's a corner back. A classy footballer out the field though he kept his head the last day against Dublin and fed a lovely little ball into A O' Sé for the last min equaliser not to mention his own one up in Donegal. If he keeps his concentration and his aggression up for the full 70 he'd be a really good player.

A O'Sé he's young but then so was the Gooch and Tommy Walsh and Micheal Meehan and Keith Higgins. When he came on the last day he ran around and chased with a passion that put the rest of the lethargy over the previous 60 mins to shame.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on March 27, 2009, 11:27:15 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 27, 2009, 11:05:49 AM

I don't mean it to sound harsh because he's a good honest lad in fairness, just he's not up to it against the better teams - Kerry always seem to find him out for e.g. Ryan isn't good enough either and Martyn hasn't followed on from being a good minor 2 years ago.

I think you have to give these guys time. Conroy managed to break through early because he has the stature and size to play senior intercounty football already. The other lads don't yet really apart from getting a run out in the FBD. They may not be good enough in the long run but you have to give them time to develop. Not everyone is ready for senior at the same time. Some take longer than others to mature and blossom.

IolarCoisCuain

Here's RTÉ not bothering their holes again: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0327/galway_mayo.html

Galway -v- Mayo

Mayo boss John O'Mahoney
Friday, 27 March 2009 11:21
Any clash between these Connacht neighbours is going to be an intense affair, but Sunday's will be sharper still owing to what's at stake.

Galway remain unbeaten following their draw with Derry, but they have slipped one point behind leaders Kerry. Mayo have their own concerns as they battle with Dublin, Donegal and Tyrone to see who joins Westmeath (who look doomed) in Division Two next year.

Mayo would have given themselves some breathing space if they had secured a win against the Dubs last weekend, but in the end needed a point from young substitute Aidan O'Shea to rescue a draw.

With the Metropolitans facing Kerry this weekend, Mayo are likely to be afforded the chance to move two points clear of the Dubs.

Mayo's chances are again hampered by the U-21 players being asked to play two games in as many days. The Westerners beat Roscommon in a thrilling semi-final to book a spot in the Connacht decider against Sligo on Saturday.

As much of a hindrance as this is for Mayo manager John O'Mahony, he would still rather have his players available for selection. O'Mahony has voiced his objection to having players involved at U-21 banned from representing their counties in the NFL.

Galway manager Liam Sammon has been boosted by the availability of wing back Gareth Bradshaw for Sunday's NFL meeting in Tuam.

However, the Tribesmen may not be able to call on Darren Mullahy and Nicky Joyce due to work commitments and injury respectively.

Sammon will have to bring his side down to Kerry in a fortnight and so two points here will be vital to their chances of making the Divisional final. That carrot should see them edge out their rivals.

Verdict: Galway

Lazy lazy lazy.  >:(