Galway v Mayo, Tuam NFL Round VI 29 March 2009

Started by Barney, March 23, 2009, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Using Ronaldson behind the ball the last 2 matches is not something that will continue long term I suspect. Against the wind in Tuam and in the Dublin match we were finding it very difficult to work the ball out of the backs without an extra man. Even with Ron back we were still under the cosh first half but it worked well at times. But when Harte and co. tried to break tackles we were turned over a lot. In fairness Galway had this problem in second half with Bradshaw coughing up at least 1-1 from losing possession under pressure from Mayo forwards. Later PJ came back deep trying to start moves as well because Gaqlway s defenders were finding the going difficult. So maybe playing Ron. back was more to do with keeping the ball into the wind than not trusting our defenders to do the defending. The advantage of using Ron for that job is that his use of the ball is betterthan Trevor. Trevor will handle a sight of ball but too much could end back in opposition hands too quickly. Ideally Trevor is needed scavenging in the middle third and taking the fight from there, not necessarily further back than that.

Conroy unlucky to be subbed the last day but when McLoughlin was introduced it meant that Ron could be shunted forward with the wind. McLoughlin brings such good hands and awareness of space and time to proceedings. And his passing excellent from feet as well. There was one fifty yard punt pass up along the wing to Trevor that turned defence into attack in an instant. Keith Higgins returning and others like Howley would also help in quick counter- attacking.

Foreverhopeful

i think conroy is a great asset to have on bench, very versatile player. Good honest footballer

RedandGreenSniper

Interesting observations about Ronaldson at chf. But it is far too late for this season to try it. Trevor will be there for championship I'm afraid. Moysider you are right about his use of the ball - it is very questionable. Foreverhopeful Trevor might be like Dooher and Galvin in terms of workrate but you, like a lot of people, underestimate the football ability of Galvin and Dooher. When do they ever turn the ball over? And both are capable point scorers from distance and very accurate kick passers of the ball. They're also very good hand passers in traffic. Trevor suffers in all those facets of his game.

I reckon the way our team is shaping up is like this

Clarke
O'Malley Caff McLoughlin
Gardiner Cunniffe/Howley Cunniffe/K Higgins/Heaney
McGarrity Parsons
Harte Trevor Dillon
Conor B Moran Ronaldson.

Ronaldson can play two roles as the need arises, either the second corner-forward or else dropping deep as a link man coming out of defence. Against Galway and Dublin he left two good ball players loose by coming from wing-forward. Ger Brennan and Gareth Bradshaw are not half backs you want to have too much time on the ball and both days Mayo got away with it. We won't always. Now it would be possible for the opposition manager to push his corner-back to wing-back and free up a footballing wing-back as the free man against the above system I've outlined but we can't account for everything either I suppose. Anyway if this extra defender for the opposition is causing more problems than Ronaldson then its a simple case of moving him back upfield.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Foreverhopeful

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 02, 2009, 10:36:42 PM
Interesting observations about Ronaldson at chf. But it is far too late for this season to try it. Trevor will be there for championship I'm afraid. Moysider you are right about his use of the ball - it is very questionable. Foreverhopeful Trevor might be like Dooher and Galvin in terms of workrate but you, like a lot of people, underestimate the football ability of Galvin and Dooher. When do they ever turn the ball over? And both are capable point scorers from distance and very accurate kick passers of the ball. They're also very good hand passers in traffic. Trevor suffers in all those facets of his game.

I reckon the way our team is shaping up is like this

Clarke
O'Malley Caff McLoughlin
Gardiner Cunniffe/Howley Cunniffe/K Higgins/Heaney
McGarrity Parsons
Harte Trevor Dillon
Conor B Moran Ronaldson.

Ronaldson can play two roles as the need arises, either the second corner-forward or else dropping deep as a link man coming out of defence. Against Galway and Dublin he left two good ball players loose by coming from wing-forward. Ger Brennan and Gareth Bradshaw are not half backs you want to have too much time on the ball and both days Mayo got away with it. We won't always. Now it would be possible for the opposition manager to push his corner-back to wing-back and free up a footballing wing-back as the free man against the above system I've outlined but we can't account for everything either I suppose. Anyway if this extra defender for the opposition is causing more problems than Ronaldson then its a simple case of moving him back upfield.

Paul Galvin and Brian Dooher have perfected the roles that i would like Trevor to play. That is what i said. How is that underestimating the football ability of Galvin and Dooher??!!

RedandGreenSniper

Okay, fair enough. But Trevor will never be able to perform to the level of Dooher or Galvin because they are far better footballers and that isn't going to change for Trevor at this stage.

Foreverhopeful

kevmy

I know what your saying about Trev at CF. Personally I'd have Harte there and Trev on the wing. Harte done well there last year and against Donegal earlier this year.

RedandGreenSniper

Problem with Harte at centre-half forward is he is very one sided and that won't be as much a problem when he is coming in from ten, where it is most likely he will have to use his left foot anyway. Trevor is far from two footed but his is a different style of football and I reckon Harte would get caught in a lot of bottlenecks at chf.

Anyway we should problem move onto the Tyrone thread at this stage. Beating Galway is so last week :P Time to beat a serious team like Tyrone ;D

Maradona

My championship team at this stsge would be:

Clarke
O'Malley Cafferkey McLoughlin
Gardiner Heaney K Higgins
Parsons McGarrity
Ronaldson Harte Dillion
C Mortimet A O'Shea T Mortimer

Key Points:
Cunniffe does not convince me, fairly rookie FB line so thinh we need the added experience of Heaney in the backs and added leadership. Tough call on Andy Moran who I think has done fairly well at 7. T Howley not enough game time to date / inexperienced compared to Heaney or Higgins.

T Mort - gets so much ball, but wasts too much of it. But v hard to leave him off the team given his agression which we lack. Always thought he is more effective in the FF line where he can win his own ball - further out he plays too deep and when in posession tries to do a McDonald buy ends up with garryowens! I know he has only had a few outings and he would have been one that I would have discounted based on his size, but Ronaldson has greatly impressed me and can really hoover up a lot of loose ball around midfield and to be honest makes better use of it that T Mort.
Its a big call, but A O'Shea is the man in posession of the FF position at the moment. B Moran has done ok there to date, but O'Shea brings much more agression again which we lack, however may be better to go with the bit of experience of Moran come championship.
Harte has to be CHF come championship - he did brilliantly there last year in my opinion and brings much needed physicality and direct play to that area.