Seanad Éireann - Pointless?

Started by thebandit, March 21, 2009, 12:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Seanad disband?

Yes
No
Cut it's membership in half
Keep it - but extend the electorate to all over 18s
Have a Seanad Idol - vote 2 of them into the Dáil and scrap the rest!!

thebandit

There was a good debate on the purpose of its existence on the Late Late Show.

We have all made cutbacks in our own workplaces and lives, should the Government follow suit?

Should we abolish the upper house?

carribbear

What have they done in the last number of years. Seeing people like Eoghan Harris being "elected" to the senate really shows that its just another opportunity to reward favours for people who didn't make TD or helped grease some wheels.

Galwaybhoy

I'm not standing up for the Senate, but could they not have got someone better than O'Doherty to debate against those on the Senate.

Bogball XV

The problem with the seanad is that it has been hijacked by political parties in order to give jobs to the lads who failed to win dail seats, in principle it's not the worst of ideas and most democracies (now there's a system that should be done away with) have one.

One of the worst abuses of modern times was perpetrated by our best ever leader ever, the one and only Bartholomew when he nominated a mate of his to the seanad for one month in order that his mate would have perpetual parking rights in the dail car park - i kid you not.

Maybe in an effort to rid us of our 2 party politics they could allow the seanad to made up of representatives of the various political parties based on their overall percentage of the popular vote (I know that still allows the current jobs for the lads not good enough to win a dail seat) and give them real veto powers on certain issues?
In it's current format though it's a waste of resources.

Shamrock Shore

I am all for the Senate.

Donie Cassidy's wig deserves a political platform.

But, in fairness, that was awful stuff last night. With Ian O'Doherty as a friend who in God's name would want an enemy.

I think Dáil reform is more urgent rather than Senate reform. There is a place for a Senate - but not a Senate where the likes of Eoin 'lick Bertie's bum' Harris gets, eh, 'elected'.

Silky

I think its actually the upper house. As the auld fella said at Mass one day when the PP complained about the low level of the collection - If shes not makin money father, shut her down.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thebandit on March 21, 2009, 12:01:11 AM
There was a good debate on the purpose of its existence on the Late Late Show.

We have all made cutbacks in our own workplaces and lives, should the Government follow suit?

Should we abolish the lower house?
No; but I think we should let all the members away with tarring and feathering the whole lot.
Cowan, Kenny and happy Gilmore, plus their cohorts and cronies down there, are warts on the backside of humanity.
Maybe you should turn your attention to the upper house, where the senators waffle away endlessly and usually don't do too much harm!  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

thebandit

thebandit

It seems it is pointless - nobody cares enough to vote!!