The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2022, 05:10:52 PM
Good man Gmac.

Every journey begins with a single step!  ;)
Regardless, a Gmac journey would just end up with him wandering in circles, a habit of a lifetime.

whitey

I like Joe as a person, but he couldn't have fvcked things up more if he tried

RedHand88

There aren't any "crack pipes" in the kits. Its lip balm, alcohol swabs etc. It's something similar to the needle exchange program here though not anywhere near as explicit.

Gmac

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 10, 2022, 10:27:04 PM
There aren't any "crack pipes" in the kits. Its lip balm, alcohol swabs etc. It's something similar to the needle exchange program here though not anywhere near as explicit.
when it came out they changed it , yesterday

whitey

My understanding is that there is/was discretionary funding that "could" be used to provide crack pipes

Main Street

Quote from: whitey on February 11, 2022, 12:52:51 AM

My understanding is that there is/was discretionary funding that "could" be used to provide crack pipes
Again, more bulls... 
A post of yours that begins with "my understanding", falls flat at the first phrase.

whitey

Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2022, 04:49:07 PM

Again, more bulls... 
A post of yours that begins with "my understanding", falls flat at the first phrase.

So "smoking kits" is kinda like "defund the police" or "if you like your doctor....you can keep your doctor.....period!"

You actually believe what these people are telling you.....now that's scary

Eamonnca1

Not satire

QuoteMarjorie Taylor Greene says Nancy Pelosi leads 'gazpacho police,' causing collective spit take

By Adela Suliman
Yesterday at 7:30 a.m. EST|Updated yesterday at 8:33 a.m. EST

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has long been the center of controversy for comparing Democrats and their policies to Nazi Germany — but it's her latest attempt, in which she appeared to confuse its secret state police force with a cold soup from Spain, that has stirred up Washington.

Greene appeared on One America News on Tuesday and accused House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) of using Capitol police as "political pawns" and "sending them into our offices" — referring to a complaint from her colleague Rep. Troy E. Nehls (R-Tex.). The Capitol Police has rejected Nehls's claim that a security check of his open office was an illegal investigation, calling it protocol when an unattended office has a door left open.

Greene referenced "Pelosi's gazpacho police spying on members of Congress, spying on the legislative work that we do, spying on our staff and spying on American citizens that want to come talk to their representatives."

Pelosi has yet to comment publicly on the apparent mix-up of "gazpacho" and "Gestapo" — but she told reporters during Wednesday's weekly news conference that "I have no power over the Capitol Police. Does anybody not know that?"

Greene's word soup quickly went viral online, sparking memes and reactions shared by politicians and other prominent figures.

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) wrote that "Twitter is undefeated" while sharing a picture of Pelosi that was altered to appear as if she is holding a wooden spoon in front of a bowl of gazpacho.

The cold tomato-based soup, thought to have originated in the Andalusia area of Spain, is widely enjoyed around the world.

Spanish-born celebrity chef José Andrés jokingly took credit for creating the "gazpacho police" to "make sure that no one will add Tabasco or jalalpeño or strange things to my beloved soup! Please don't blame anybody else but me ... stop by for a glass anytime. Don't forget your mask and vaccination card!" he tweeted.

Comedian Noel Casler tweeted: "Sure the Gazpacho Police are bad but the elite Vichyssoise inspired pureed terror."

Greene herself acknowledged the roasting, tweeting: "No soup for those who illegally spy on Members of Congress, but they will be thrown in the goulash."

Many others stressed that despite the humor in some of the responses — the underlying comparison was inappropriate.

Holly McCormack, a Democrat running against Greene for Congress, wrote: "First, Nazi comparisons are unbecoming of a Congresswoman. Second, I am not surprised Marge does not know the difference between gazpacho and Gestapo."

"To be clear even though Marjorie Taylor Greene said gazpacho, what she was trying to say was absolutely atrocious and warrants her immediate expulsion," tweeted Scott Dworkin, chief of the Democratic Coalition, a super PAC.

Weeks after Holocaust Museum visit, Rep. Greene makes new Nazi-era comparison in opposing vaccination push

Congressional leaders in both parties condemned Greene in the spring for comparing coronavirus restrictions in the U.S. Capitol to what Jewish people suffered during the Holocaust. In the summer, weeks after she visited the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and apologized for comparing mask requirements to the Nazis forcing Jews to wear Star of David badges — and calling gas chambers "exactly the type of abuse Nancy Pelosi is talking about" — Greene made headlines again for using another Nazi analogy in opposing the Biden administration's coronavirus vaccination push.

Greene has continued to attack pandemic policies, refused to wear a mask on the House floor and shared false information about the virus. She has incurred thousands of dollars in fines for violating the House policy on face coverings.

The congresswoman has also been repeatedly criticized for spreading misinformation about the pandemic to her thousands of social media followers. Last month, Facebook suspended Greene for 24 hours, a day after Twitter suspended her personal account for repeatedly violating the company's policy. At the time, she argued that the penalties were problematic because she is an elected official and represents more than 700,000 "US tax paying citizens."

U.S. Capitol Police rejects GOP congressman's claim that check of his open office is illegal investigation

The latest Greene incident was sparked after Nehls claimed in a Twitter thread on Tuesday that "Capitol Police entered my office without my knowledge and photographed confidential legislative products" in Novemberand that they took photographs of a whiteboard. He later told Fox News that he was being "targeted" and accused Pelosi of "weaponizing" the Capitol Police to silence him.

Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger responded in a statement on Tuesday that an officer had conducted a security check of an office after a door was left "wide open."

"The United States Capitol Police is sworn to protect Members of Congress. If a Member's office is left open and unsecured, without anyone inside the office, USCP officers are directed to document that and secure the office to ensure nobody can wander in and steal or do anything else nefarious," Manger said.

The Monday after the agent stepped into Nehls's office, Manger added, Capitol Police personnel followed up with the lawmaker's staff about the issue and determined that no further action or investigation was needed.

Eamonnca1

Fun fact: Just about all the funny memes going around about AOC contain made-up quotes that she never said. Just about all the memes going around about MTG are about things she actually did say.

Gmac

Quote from: whitey on February 11, 2022, 06:33:48 PM

Again, more bulls... 

So "smoking kits" is kinda like "defund the police" or "if you like your doctor....you can keep your doctor.....period!"

hopefully they get crushed in November and that they have a change of strategy moving forward, joe is not in charge he just gets wheeled out now and again to butcher a speech or sign something.

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on February 11, 2022, 07:07:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 11, 2022, 06:33:48 PM

Again, more bulls... 

hopefully they get crushed in November and that they have a change of strategy moving forward, joe is not in charge he just gets wheeled out now and again to butcher a speech or sign something.

Joe has gotten.....and listened to......very bad advice

J70

So if the Dems need a change of strategy (and I absolutely agree there is much room for improvement, beginning with certain elements of the party coming to terms with the razor-thin majority), where does that leave the GOP?

I'm being very serious.

The GOP is not currently fit to govern on a national level.

dec

Quote from: J70 on February 11, 2022, 07:43:41 PM
So if the Dems need a change of strategy (and I absolutely agree there is much room for improvement, beginning with certain elements of the party coming to terms with the razor-thin majority), where does that leave the GOP?

I'm being very serious.

But they are still likely to take the House and the Senate in the mid term elections.

J70

Quote from: dec on February 11, 2022, 08:18:40 PM

I'm being very serious.

But they are still likely to take the House and the Senate in the mid term elections.

Yes.

God help us all.

At least Biden will be there to veto their nonsense for two years.

And hopefully the Jan 6 investigations and so on are all completed before the cowardly snail that is Kevin McCarthy becomes Speaker and begins to resume His Master's Bidding and makes the likes of Marjorie Tayler Greene Chairwoman of the Justice Committee or whatever.

I've some faith at least in McConnell being a normal, within the rules, cynical politician (IMO he should go down as one of the greatest - as in effective, not good for the people or country - Majority Leaders in modern times). But the House GOP are f**king conspiratorial lunatics.

whitey

I'm being very serious.

Both parties are a disgrace.

Do you think the Democrats are fit to govern on a national level-sweet J3sus, if the past 12 months is anything to go by I shudder at the thought