The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Muck Savage on December 23, 2021, 07:44:05 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 23, 2021, 06:48:45 PM
QuoteSan Jose, LA etc have all gotten incredibly dangerous to bring a family.

San Jose? Really? I just moved away after 2 years there and never saw anything that I'd term as "incredibly dangerous".

The increase in the amount of homeless encampments around the city with folks openly taking drugs has skyrocketted in the last 2 years . My wife is an avid cyclist and there are routs she use to take that she won't now because she has been threatened. Its still a long way behind SF but far from the safe family city it was 5 years ago even if it is a boring city.

San Jose resident here. I live in Japantown with my wife and two small children. It's quite safe to walk around. The homeless camps are mostly found in out-of-the-way places like the Guadeloupe River Park and the idle land at the end of the airport runways. I see news reports of gang activity but it mostly seems to come from the northeastern edge of the city.

"Boring" city? There's plenty going on if you get out of the house.

screenexile

US about to get their first Female Black SCOTUS . . .

Has McConnell any options to block this one again??!

J70

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2022, 05:29:18 PM
US about to get their first Female Black SCOTUS . . .

Has McConnell any options to block this one again??!

No, I think the filibuster is gone for judges.

And I seriously doubt if EVERY Republican will vote against the nominee anyway.

Especially with their 6-3 majority safe for the next ten years.

Jell 0 Biafra

Will every Democrat back Biden on this though?

If I were McConnell, and I had it that all Democrats were voting en bloc, I would actually think of encouraging one or two moderate Reps to back it, so they can say they are engaged in the bipartisan process, and aren't just obstructionist.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 26, 2022, 05:37:59 PM

If I were McConnell, and I had it that all Democrats were voting en bloc, I would actually think of encouraging one or two moderate Reps to back it, so they can say they are engaged in the bipartisan process, and aren't just obstructionist.

I can't see any Democrats not voting for a liberal justice.

There just isn't that much at stake where it would affect their chances of getting re-elected, even for the likes of Manchin, Tester, Sinema etc.

Of the current GOP senators, Susan Collins and Lindsey Graham voted for Kagan and Sotomayor.

Graham is firmly on the insane train these days, so he's probably a No.

You might get Collins again. Maybe Romney at a stretch if the nominee is a moderate.

It will be tight. Could end up another VP-decider.

whitey

I can't tell if the person was joking, but I have seen a post on Twitter saying Joe should nominate Kamala  for the SC and appoint Hillary VP

whitey

Merritt Garland for SC

Kamala for AG

Hillary or Michelle Obama for VP

Eamonnca1

Depends what you call a "Democrat." Sinema and Manchin aren't exactly acting like Dems, they're more like rethuglican infiltrators at this point. To paraphrase Joe, they are "stupid sons of bitches."

Gmac

the only African American on the court right now joe Biden slandered , personally attacked and voted against .

Jell 0 Biafra

Why wouldn't he vote against an extremely conservative judge?

J70

Slander? ;D

The same Joe Biden who gets dogs abuse for supposedly treating Anita Hill like shit and, as Judicial Committee chairman, not taking her allegations against Thomas seriously?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2022, 08:12:04 PM
Slander? ;D

The same Joe Biden who gets dogs abuse for supposedly treating Anita Hill like shit and, as Judicial Committee chairman, not taking her allegations against Thomas seriously?
I know he's a pos

J70

Quote from: Gmac on January 28, 2022, 09:29:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2022, 08:12:04 PM
Slander? ;D

I know he's a pos

Most politicians are.

Gmac