The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 23, 2021, 12:17:39 PM
I am confused when they talk about voter fraud when Voter suppression doesn't seem to bother people?

Because for the most part it's a pile of utter nonsense

I'm sure there are isolated instances, (like with voter fraud) but as per an exchange on here last week, if you oppose counting ballots that arrive 10 days after polling day, with no postmark and mismatching signatures that's voter suppression according to the Democrats

J70

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 23, 2021, 12:17:39 PM
I am confused when they talk about voter fraud when Voter suppression doesn't seem to bother people?

Whitey's hyperbole notwithstanding, the GOP want to limit the number of people voting because high turnout hurts them.

If it didn't, you would NOT see stuff like limiting Sunday voting, reducing the number of days for early voting, loosely-targeted voter list purges, and, since Trump's hissy-fit, trying to do away with no-excuse mail-in voting (despite this being in place in many red states for years).

What you won't see from them are proposals to increase participation.

Meanwhile, the documented incidences of fraud are so rare as to be barely worthy of consideration. Its not like Trump and the GOP haven't tried looking for them, with commisions announced to great fanfare before quietly folding.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2021, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Gmac on March 22, 2021, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 22, 2021, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 22, 2021, 06:17:28 PM
J70

Apart from Asian, what other types of massage parlors are there in Atlanta?

I spent a decent amount of time down there in the early 2000s and iirc that's the only type there is?

To say "he appears to have a serious issue with Asian women working in massage parlors" is implying that there are other types of massage parlors he could avail of.....and I don't that is the case at all

I wouldn't know what the typical racial profile of massage parlour workers in Atlanta is. :)

And in the immediately following sentences I said "Maybe he is fixated on them (Asian women) as part of his supposed sexual addiction. Maybe he just hates women in general or presumed sex workers specifically and his targets just happened to be overwhelmingly Asian."

Whatever his motives I would assume the investigation and prosecution should get to the bottom of it.

Gmac was whining about Biden going down to Atlanta (because Chicago!) completely ignoring the growing concern in recent weeks, before this even happened, about Asian people being increasingly targeted for assault and abuse over the past year.
18 more shot and 4 deaths in gun violence this weekend. Will Kamala and joe go to discuss what's going on there and how they can help ? It's a totally Democrat city and state .
There had been a big rise in crimes against Asians in the Sf Bay Area too but I can tell you most of the perpetrators did not vote for Trump  like the story the media would like to spin.

Once again, why don't you tell us what is being done and what should be done about the violence in Chicago. It seems to be something that greatly concerns you, so you should have some answers.

Is the media really saying that the perpetrators are Trump voters? I hadn't heard that.

What I have heard is Trump and many of his followers going on about the "kung flu" and "chinavirus", Kevin McCarthy saying no one in America was sitting at their kitchen table worrying about crimes against Asians, and some other GOP neanderthal last week blathering on about rope and oak trees during a congressional hearing on the topic.
there is a big difference between calling something the China virus and attacking someone, there is a one thousand page thread called the China corona virus on here and I don't think any board members have felt the need to attack any Asian people. Will Kamala and joe go to Boulder you think?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 23, 2021, 03:50:43 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2021, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Gmac on March 22, 2021, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 22, 2021, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 22, 2021, 06:17:28 PM
J70

Apart from Asian, what other types of massage parlors are there in Atlanta?

I spent a decent amount of time down there in the early 2000s and iirc that's the only type there is?

To say "he appears to have a serious issue with Asian women working in massage parlors" is implying that there are other types of massage parlors he could avail of.....and I don't that is the case at all

I wouldn't know what the typical racial profile of massage parlour workers in Atlanta is. :)

And in the immediately following sentences I said "Maybe he is fixated on them (Asian women) as part of his supposed sexual addiction. Maybe he just hates women in general or presumed sex workers specifically and his targets just happened to be overwhelmingly Asian."

Whatever his motives I would assume the investigation and prosecution should get to the bottom of it.

Gmac was whining about Biden going down to Atlanta (because Chicago!) completely ignoring the growing concern in recent weeks, before this even happened, about Asian people being increasingly targeted for assault and abuse over the past year.
18 more shot and 4 deaths in gun violence this weekend. Will Kamala and joe go to discuss what's going on there and how they can help ? It's a totally Democrat city and state .
There had been a big rise in crimes against Asians in the Sf Bay Area too but I can tell you most of the perpetrators did not vote for Trump  like the story the media would like to spin.

Once again, why don't you tell us what is being done and what should be done about the violence in Chicago. It seems to be something that greatly concerns you, so you should have some answers.

Is the media really saying that the perpetrators are Trump voters? I hadn't heard that.

What I have heard is Trump and many of his followers going on about the "kung flu" and "chinavirus", Kevin McCarthy saying no one in America was sitting at their kitchen table worrying about crimes against Asians, and some other GOP neanderthal last week blathering on about rope and oak trees during a congressional hearing on the topic.
there is a big difference between calling something the China virus and attacking someone, there is a one thousand page thread called the China corona virus on here and I don't think any board members have felt the need to attack any Asian people. Will Kamala and joe go to Boulder you think?

In isolation there may be a difference, yes.

But Trump's whole political persona and his base of support is based on demonizing and scapegoating the "other". I guarantee you he wouldn't be talking about the white christian equivalent of "kung flu" if the virus had arisen somewhere in the bible belt.

And yes, I would absolutely expect Biden and Harris to go to Boulder.

seafoid

Childrens allowance is introduced in the US but the GOP don't like it

https://www.ft.com/content/cc2a0d8c-123e-4d36-b01a-55cd8a23a166

We do not support turning the child tax credit into what has been called a 'child allowance', paid out as a universal basic income to all parents," Republican senators Marco Rubio and Mike Lee said in a statement last month. "That is not tax relief for working parents; it is welfare assistance."

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 04:48:33 PM

We do not support turning the child tax credit into what has been called a 'child allowance', paid out as a universal basic income to all parents," Republican senators Marco Rubio and Mike Lee said in a statement last month. "That is not tax relief for working parents; it is welfare assistance."

I'm not a tax expert, but don't you claim your kids as an exemption on your tax return anyway thereby lowering the amount of tax you pay?

And if you don't make enough to pay taxes does it not increase the size of check the govt sends you?

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/can-poor-families-benefit-child-tax-credit

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 23, 2021, 04:53:04 PM

I'm not a tax expert, but don't you claim your kids as an exemption on your tax return anyway thereby lowering the amount of tax you pay?

And if you don't make enough to pay taxes does it not increase the size of check the govt sends you?

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/can-poor-families-benefit-child-tax-credit

A steady, regular children's allowance would surely be of more benefit to poor people than a tax deduction?

At least they means-tested, to some extent, the stimulus cheques this time around. I understand why they didn't do it first time out last year, when they just wanted to get money into people's hands quickly without going through the process of weeding out those who make too much, but after that it should have been means-tested. For example, neither myself or my wife lost work or income, and while a bit extra is always welcome, we absolutely did not need to get any stimulus money.

whitey

Isn't your weekly take home dependent on the number of deductions you have?

If you claim the deductions you have the money in every single paycheck throughout the year

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 23, 2021, 06:01:34 PM

If you claim the deductions you have the money in every single paycheck throughout the year

Does that make any difference for someone barely earning enough to qualify for federal tax?

Its not my area of expertise either.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2021, 06:30:35 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 23, 2021, 06:01:34 PM

Does that make any difference for someone barely earning enough to qualify for federal tax?

Its not my area of expertise either.

Well they'd qualify for all types of additional benefits (such as free school meals, food stamps, help with utilities) then

I'm actually in favor or UBI. (With conditions attached to discourage abuse)

seafoid

An estimated 27m American children — including half of black and Latino children — lived in households that did not receive the full benefit. Now they will.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 08:05:01 PM

An estimated 27m American children — including half of black and Latino children — lived in households that did not receive the full benefit. Now they will.

They didn't receive "the full benefit".

By not receiving "the full benefit" what other programs did they become eligible for?

Gmac

Tammy duckworth and mazie horono say they won't vote for any white person to be included in the Biden administration unless they are lgbtq , that's where the Democrats are in 2021 , that's how sick they are , but saying China virus will lead to hate crimes.

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2021, 05:48:37 PM

A steady, regular children's allowance would surely be of more benefit to poor people than a tax deduction?

At least they means-tested, to some extent, the stimulus cheques this time around. I understand why they didn't do it first time out last year, when they just wanted to get money into people's hands quickly without going through the process of weeding out those who make too much, but after that it should have been means-tested. For example, neither myself or my wife lost work or income, and while a bit extra is always welcome, we absolutely did not need to get any stimulus money.

We were in the same boat (well the wife is a sub-teacher but didn't do it that often for us to really feel the effect of not having that income). I was shocked to get the stimulus the first time, as was thinking I haven't lost my job etc, but then someone said to me it's about kick-starting the economy so, in essence, people get money they wouldn't otherwise have and spend it on whatever, which in turns puts money in another businesses pocket, who then spend that money on eg wages, more stock, employ more people, etc, and so on...economics is just one area were I have a very limited grasp of things but that made sense to me but no idea if that's the case

Gabriel_Hurl