Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on November 08, 2020, 02:11:20 AM
Yes. Remember "American Carnage"? :o

Yes. Who knew it was a prediction?

RedHand88

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 08, 2020, 02:54:08 AM
It's a line that never gets old here.

Bible and troops. Centrist joe gonna centrist.

HiMucker

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2020, 02:44:44 AM
Two good speeches. Harris is a straight up star.

Biden needs a catchier line to finish on than "May God protect our troops"
I really like Harris, a real sharp cookie. But does her voice not sound a bit whiney/nasally? I know thats a petty criticism, just wondering is it just me?

Gmac

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 08, 2020, 02:05:42 AM
Hes showing a real genuine intention to reach across the aisle. Some may say this is down to the fact he will be facing a republican Senate and will require their cooperation to legislate, but its still to be applauded.
At the very least hes reaching outside his base, something which Trump did not do and in my opinion cost him a second term.
winning is a great deodorant.
2 years and joe is gone mark my words hello president Kamala , hello president Ron 2024

gallsman

Quote from: HiMucker on November 08, 2020, 03:02:16 AM

I really like Harris, a real sharp cookie. But does her voice not sound a bit whiney/nasally? I know thats a petty criticism, just wondering is it just me?

It's the California in her, innit?

LCohen

Quote from: Gmac on November 07, 2020, 11:12:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2020, 08:41:33 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 07, 2020, 08:35:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2020, 08:32:16 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 07, 2020, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2020, 08:27:32 PM
At least they're wearing masks and it's outdoors, but yeah, not the wisest at the moment, especially the one in LaFayette Park.

It is hard not to smile though at the thought of the Trumps and their lackies sitting inside having to listen and look at them though! :)
only Trump rallies spread Covid , blm protests and mass looting don't . Enjoy

Has anyone here condoned it?

At least they're considerate and concerned enough to wear the masks, unlike the Trump rallies.
can trump still fire fauci ?

He's not a political appointee, so I don't see how he could, absent some misconduct or incompetence charge, in which Fauci would be entitled to usual protections.

What would be the point anyway?

Trump can either act like a normal mature human being and help the transition, or he can further cement his historical reputation as a petulant, insecure narcissist by flailing around and throwing his toys out of the pram.
do you think Democrats helped with the transition of power ?

The role of the Democrats is to assemble a team to hit the ground running. The thing Trump failed to do. So far the Democrats are found their bit.

I'm not criticising the Republicans in terms of the detailed handover. It's too early to do that. Obviously in terms of tone setting the lead that Trump is setting on this issue is the worst America has ever seen.

LCohen

Quote from: Gmac on November 08, 2020, 12:24:35 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 07, 2020, 11:54:14 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 07, 2020, 09:00:26 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 07, 2020, 08:35:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2020, 08:32:16 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 07, 2020, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2020, 08:27:32 PM
At least they're wearing masks and it's outdoors, but yeah, not the wisest at the moment, especially the one in LaFayette Park.

It is hard not to smile though at the thought of the Trumps and their lackies sitting inside having to listen and look at them though! :)
only Trump rallies spread Covid , blm protests and mass looting don't . Enjoy

Has anyone here condoned it?

At least they're considerate and concerned enough to wear the masks, unlike the Trump rallies.
can trump still fire fauci ?
Do you think he should?
Sorry Gmac, this skipped on to the next page quickly so you might have missed it. Should Trump sack him then ye think?
i think he would if he could , I don't think fauci has excelled during the pandemic but I don't think he should fire him .

What did he get wrong?

I'm not defending him, just want to know what a a keen observer like yourself thinks about the detail of his performance

brokencrossbar1

Does Guiliani holding at press conference at the Four Seasons Landscapes instead of the Four Seasons Hotel not bring back found memories of another infamous fake hotel booking...? 

sid waddell

Harris is going to get the same treatment Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton got from the flat earthers, except far worse

Expect all the same birther conspiracies, she'll be branded as a fake black while simultaneously being painted as a radical communist Black Panther, and a prostitute - none of it has to make sense

Her voice and manner will be slaughtered, she will be painted as "deeply divisive" and "shrill"

"Divisive" is white supremacist code for "black"

"Shrill" is code for "woman"

It's moot whether Trumpism has gone away or not because that will depend on what Trump does and what happens to him but what has definitely not gone away and will only increase is totally irrational, insane white supremacist anger against people of colour, simply for being people of colour

There are tens of millions of people in America who have the same opinions Eugene TerreBlanche had

sid waddell

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 08, 2020, 10:42:20 AM
Does Guiliani holding at press conference at the Four Seasons Landscapes instead of the Four Seasons Hotel not bring back found memories of another infamous fake hotel booking...?
Giuliani definitely had fear on his face yesterday

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 08, 2020, 02:38:13 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 08, 2020, 02:21:04 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 08, 2020, 02:05:42 AM
Hes showing a real genuine intention to reach across the aisle. Some may say this is down to the fact he will be facing a republican Senate and will require their cooperation to legislate, but its still to be applauded.
At the very least hes reaching outside his base, something which Trump did not do and in my opinion cost him a second term.
Absolutely. It would seem that this has been a trademark of his political career. The snippet below from the article I posted tells alot. Always thought that in work, people happy to play the blame game, shovelling shit up hill getting nothing done.

Even with Biden as the Democratic nominee, Republican leadership and their aides can't help but feel more animosity toward Obama than Biden. In negotiations, Biden asked them what they could sell to their caucus while Obama would trenchantly but unproductively lecture leadership about why their caucus' worldview was wrong, the aides said.

"Frankly, I came to dread those Oval Office meetings because they were lost time," said one such former aide. "Those were hours of your life you were never getting back."

Ideally, its what america and by extent the whole western world needs right now. A centrist who can bring both sides together in peace and harmony and someone who will encourage people to believe that those from the other side are not the enemy.

Obama was a milquetoast centrist - he spent eight years trying to reach out to the other side, look how they reacted - with total political war against him

It was said four years ago that the reason Trump got in was because of the pain his voters were feeling because years of milquetoast centrism and right-wing economics had allowed America to rot

That another four years of milquetoast centrism under Clinton offered nothing to them

Yet now we're supposed to believe that the prescription is four years of milquetoast centrism?

That is a claim that the economic pain many of Trump's supporters were feeling in 2016 (and indeed now) was a lie - but it wasn't a lie, it was real

The prescription to solve that isn't milquetoast centrism, the prescription is a radical, progressive, transformative policy agenda which will actually help to improve people's lot

Scandinavia for America, in other words

Scandinavia for America won't happen, which is why the threat will be ever present over Biden's term that the same people that need that radical, progressive policy agenda will once again turn to something far worse than milquetoast centrism in 2024 - something like Somalia for America

seafoid

Harris is a neoliberal

https://www.ft.com/content/6283acf4-9b50-38fd-bea2-210c79ad6dca

One of the best things about Kamala Harris is that she hits to a lot of fields — she's a strong and articulate African American prosecutor, a terrific speaker, and a veteran politico who can duke it out with the best of them. She's a great campaign fundraiser (too great, some progressives would say), and is beloved of many rich Democrats in the business wing of the party. But she has also been aggressive in pushing for things like healthcare reform and antitrust action in the health sector in particular. Harris is smart enough to know the right policy choices that Democrats need to make right now (which centre around fighting inequality, strengthening safety nets, improving education and building some kind of New Deal-style programme that puts people to work and transitions the economy to something cleaner, greener and more digital). But she has also been smart enough to stay in the political game without having the kind of grassroots support that Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders do. That means she has had to make uncomfortable compromises. She has taken campaign money from the prison industrial complex; not a good look in the midst of the Black Lives Matter and "defund the police" issues. She has gone light on certain financiers like Steve Mnuchin, whose bank she failed to prosecute in the wake of the financial crisis. She's close to Big Tech, even as the Democrat-led House Judiciary committee on antitrust has just come out with a tough new report calling Amazon, Google and Facebook the biggest competitive threat since the railroad barons.

sid waddell

Former Obama press secretary Tommy Vietor weighs in in reply to Boris Johnson's Twitter message of congratulations to Biden and Harris

Ouch

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1325137653851828230

This shapeshifting creep weighs in. We will never forget your racist comments about Obama and slavish devotion to Trump but neat Instagram graphic.

smelmoth

Quote from: sid waddell on November 08, 2020, 10:49:04 AM

Harris is going to get the same treatment Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton got from the flat earthers, except far worse

Expect all the same birther conspiracies, she'll be branded as a fake black while simultaneously being painted as a radical communist Black Panther, and a prostitute - none of it has to make sense

Her voice and manner will be slaughtered, she will be painted as "deeply divisive" and "shrill"

"Divisive" is white supremacist code for "black"

"Shrill" is code for "woman"

It's moot whether Trumpism has gone away or not because that will depend on what Trump does and what happens to him but what has definitely not gone away and will only increase is totally irrational, insane white supremacist anger against people of colour, simply for being people of colour

There are tens of millions of people in America who have the same opinions Eugene TerreBlanche had

I think your call on Shrill and Divisive is spot on.

I think that much of what I would want a Democrat president to achieve will have to take a back seat for the first 2 years. Regrettable but true.

Right now Biden has to deal with COVID and the divided nature of the nation. Trump has personally lead those 2 problems to Biden's terrible starting position. He needs to de-Trump America. The quicker he gets that done the quicker a progressive programme can delivered. Mid term elections could help.

Unfortunately America remains one of those places where "progressive" can have negative connotations

gallsman

Quote from: sid waddell on November 08, 2020, 11:38:00 AM
Former Obama press secretary Tommy Vietor weighs in in reply to Boris Johnson's Twitter message of congratulations to Biden and Harris

Ouch

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1325137653851828230

This shapeshifting creep weighs in. We will never forget your racist comments about Obama and slavish devotion to Trump but neat Instagram graphic.

I listen to Vietor a couple of times a week on the Pod Save America podcast with s couple of other format Obama staffers. Will be interesting to see if he mentions BoJo tomorrow.