Author Topic: The Many Faces of US Politics...  (Read 1267313 times)

J70

• View Profile
Re: The Many Faces of US Politics...
« Reply #15165 on: February 23, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »
So what do you tell the dad who worked extra shifts, drove old cars and didn’t take vacations in order to  pay for his daughters college?

Why shouldn’t he get his money back?

This debt forgiveness isn’t a fringe position (like the sex change operations)-this a major policy position that will cost trillions of dollars.

I honestly don't know what the solution is.

But you have to start somewhere.

100% debt forgiveness has no chance of ever becoming law anyway, IMO. I'd probably go back to the idea of paying a certain percentage of your income for 15-20 years or whatever, with the government covering the rest. Omit the art or Greek and Roman history degrees from the programme if you wish. Regardless of what they do, SOME people are going to be pissed off.

What do YOU think should be done?

(I drive a ten year old car BTW, and myself and my wife are STILL paying off her student loans, 15 years after she finished!).

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #15166 on: February 23, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »
Interesting question

First of all I would haul all these colleges before a committee to detail exactly why their tuition costs what it does. (It shouldn’t cost $72 K a year to go to Boston University)

Then I would tap their endowments to pay down 20% of the O/S debt

Next I would mandate the debt holders (institutions) to take a 20% haircut....this is unsecured debt. They knew what they were buying

I would then set up a system whereby the indebted student could work off the debt by providing community service-providing daycare to low income people, helping out in inner city schools, providing health and nutrition education to unhealthy people

I would cap the amount of debt a student can take on board-benchmark it to their earning potential

I would impose a one time tax on the 0.01%

That would only take care of what’s outstanding today......draconian steps would need to be put in place to prevent this from EVER happening again

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #15167 on: February 23, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »
Those sound very reasonable proposals to me whitey.

Maybe someone like Bloomberg would be the man to implement something along those kind of lines. ;)

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #15168 on: February 23, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »
So what do you tell the dad who worked extra shifts, drove old cars and didn’t take vacations in order to  pay for his daughters college?

Why shouldn’t he get his money back?

This debt forgiveness isn’t a fringe position (like the sex change operations)-this a major policy position that will cost trillions of dollars.

I honestly don't know what the solution is.

But you have to start somewhere.

100% debt forgiveness has no chance of ever becoming law anyway, IMO. I'd probably go back to the idea of paying a certain percentage of your income for 15-20 years or whatever, with the government covering the rest. Omit the art or Greek and Roman history degrees from the programme if you wish. Regardless of what they do, SOME people are going to be pissed off.

What do YOU think should be done?

(I drive a ten year old car BTW, and myself and my wife are STILL paying off her student loans, 15 years after she finished!).

Debt can be reduced to nothing with inflation.
There was a big debt overhang in 1945 that was reduced consistently until 1960
Lookit

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #15169 on: February 23, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »
Detroit recently ran out of money.

Kelvyn Orr was charged with finding a solution.
He offered debtholders 20% on the dollar. I think they ended up with 30%.
Most debt is owned by the 1%
Most debt now will not be repaid in full. They tore the
arse out of it. The Fed did too.

https://youtu.be/SYs2HHYqmxw
Lookit

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15170 on: February 24, 2020, 01:00:17 AM »
Delegate count:
Buttigieg 22
Sanders 21
Warren 8
Klobuchar 7
Biden 6
Bloomberg 0

Betting odds for 2020 winner:

Trump 8/13
Sanders 4/1
Bloomberg 9/1
Biden 20/1

Bloomberg took a hiding last night. He was like a duck out of water. Warren obliterated him. Will be interesting to see how that affects the polling numbers over the next few days, and if his high burn rate can take the bad look off it. I just wish he'd get out of the race and put his money into something useful like flipping the 4 senate seats we're going to need.
Odds update:
Trump: 8/13
Sanders: 7/2
Bloomberg: 8/1
Biden: 22/1

Bernie's odds moving in the right direction. Biden, not so much.

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 1/1
Bloomberg: 4/1
Buttigieg:8/1
Biden: 9/1

Update:
Delegate count:
Sanders 31
Buttigieg 22
Warren 8
Biden 8
Klobuchar 7
Bloomberg 0

2020 winner:
Sanders: 3/1
Bloomberg: 10/1
Biden: 25/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 5/6
Buttigieg:11/1
Biden: 11/1

Interesting that Chrome still thinks "Buttigieg" is a typo.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:04:18 AM by Eamonnca1 »

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #15171 on: February 24, 2020, 06:43:03 AM »
Delegate count:
Buttigieg 22
Sanders 21
Warren 8
Klobuchar 7
Biden 6
Bloomberg 0

Betting odds for 2020 winner:

Trump 8/13
Sanders 4/1
Bloomberg 9/1
Biden 20/1

Bloomberg took a hiding last night. He was like a duck out of water. Warren obliterated him. Will be interesting to see how that affects the polling numbers over the next few days, and if his high burn rate can take the bad look off it. I just wish he'd get out of the race and put his money into something useful like flipping the 4 senate seats we're going to need.
Odds update:
Sanders: 7/2
Bloomberg: 8/1
Biden: 22/1

Bernie's odds moving in the right direction. Biden, not so much.

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 1/1
Buttigieg:8/1
Biden: 9/1

Update:
Delegate count:
Sanders 31
Buttigieg 22
Warren 8
Biden 8
Klobuchar 7
Bloomberg 0

2020 winner:
Sanders: 3/1
Bloomberg: 10/1
Biden: 25/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 5/6
Buttigieg:11/1
Biden: 11/1

Interesting that Chrome still thinks "Buttigieg" is a typo.

I'm just happy they've stopped calling him Mayor Pete

I wouldn't write off a Democratic candidate in a big hurry tho, I think they have a very good chance.

Also Bloomberg has no interest in the Democratic party whatsoever, only himself. In fact I could actually see him running as an independent.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #15172 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
Problem for Democrats is that SC is an open primary, meaning Independents (ie Republicans) can pull a ballot for the Democratic primary and vote for Bernie (because they see him as beatable)

Also an open primary in Massachusetts.....There is a right wing radio host here in Boston who is a huge Trump supporter. Sometime this week, he’s going to let his (huge) listenership know whether or not they should pull a Democratic ballot

A buddy of mine did exactly that and voted for Bernie in NH while wearing his MAGA hat

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #15173 on: February 24, 2020, 12:15:20 PM »
What's the bet that even if Bernie does well in the States on super Tuesday, the Democrats will shaft Bernie like they did last time and pick someone more Mainstream like Mayor Quimby. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #15174 on: February 24, 2020, 01:10:53 PM »
What's the bet that even if Bernie does well in the States on super Tuesday, the Democrats will shaft Bernie like they did last time and pick someone more Mainstream like Mayor Quimby.

Superdelegates are not voting on the first ballot this year unless someone has already won sufficient pledged delegates and is thus assured of the win.

And reportedly Bernie is getting some Russian help, whether wanted or not. One would assume Putin would like him to be the Dem nominee to assure Trump of the win.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #15175 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »

They’ll try, but it won’t end well for them

If they try and deny him, even though he will undoubtedly win the “popular vote” in the primaries, it will also kill their argument to abolish the Electoral College

Just after casting my own ballot at town hall-early voting started today at 8:00 am
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:15:20 PM by whitey »

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #15176 on: February 24, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »

They’ll try, but it won’t end well for them

If they try and deny him, even though he will undoubtedly win the “popular vote” in the primaries, it will also kill their argument to abolish the Electoral College

Just after casting my own ballot at town hall-early voting started today at 8:00 am

How so?

General election, everyone is voting on the same day with the same information.

The primaries are an evolving process, each dependent to some degree on the ones that have already taken place, news that comes out at various points in the timeline, policies that change or are clarified, and voting blocks that consolidate as candidates drop out.

And how will "they try" to deny him the nomination?

They've already omitted the superdelegates from the first ballot. Its up to Bernie and his supporters to shore up enough of them in case the 16% they make up could be decisive.

Does Bernie have less of a chance of securing them than Bloomberg or Butigeg?

Biden would be the obvious choice for a superdelegate focused on general election electability, but he has run a disaster of a campaign and would be eaten alive by Trump. Already has, I guess, with his son's issues in the Ukraine.

Who'd you vote for BTW? :)

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #15177 on: February 24, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
If Bernie has the most (popular) votes and the most delegates going into the convention any attempt to deny him the nomination will be met with all out revolt by the Bernie Bro’s.....did you not see what they said on the O Keefe video? “Milwaukee will burn”

I rolled the dice and pulled a Democratic ballot and voted for Bernie. (I think he’s the most beatable, but it could also backfire on me)

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #15178 on: February 24, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
If Bernie has the most (popular) votes and the most delegates going into the convention any attempt to deny him the nomination will be met with all out revolt by the Bernie Bro’s.....did you not see what they said on the O Keefe video? “Milwaukee will burn”

I rolled the dice and pulled a Democratic ballot and voted for Bernie. (I think he’s the most beatable, but it could also backfire on me)

But if Bernie hasn’t met the quota (i.e. half of the pledged delegates plus one) on the first ballot, then it proceeds to the horse trading and winning of majority of ALL delegates for the subsequent ones.
The Bernie bros can scream and even riot (and face the full force of the law) all they want, but the rules are set.
Now when it comes down to it, if Bernie is close, I’d imagine he’ll do a deal with Klobuchar or Butigeg or the like for some kind of unity ticket (it ain’t going to be a Bernie/Warren ticket!).
That aside, if they want to do what Trump threatened and have Bernie run as an independent if he’s not nominated, they’re free to do that and absolutely guarantee Trump’s reelection.

On O’Keefe, I did not know he had a video. Don’t really care either. The man hasn’t an ounce of credibility.

On your vote choice, you're now down with Trump?

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #15179 on: February 24, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »
Bernies supporters are already claiming on Twitter that they are going to win the popular vote, so strap yourself in.

Regarding Trump....I’m not “down” with him, but based on the fake dossier, 17  fisa “errors” and the Democrats despicable behavior during the Kavanaugh hearing I now actually hate them more than I hate Trump.  If the whole place is going to burn down ( no pun intended) I’d prefer it burn down with a conservative majority on the Supreme Court