The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 23, 2017, 05:10:00 PM
And Donald Trump?

I fvckin hate Trump

Hillary is a lying thieving cvnt, Trump is probably the biggest moron who ever run for office

Even thought I disagree with him on almost everything, Bernie was my man because he at least has good intentions

seafoid

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 23, 2017, 05:10:00 PM
And Donald Trump?
PJ O Rourke last year said Clinton was wrong within the normal parameters of wrong whereas Trump....
https://youtu.be/HhVintbafkU
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: Hardy on July 23, 2017, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 23, 2017, 04:43:13 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 23, 2017, 04:36:04 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 23, 2017, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: CiKe on July 23, 2017, 01:26:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 22, 2017, 06:15:30 PM
Quote from: CiKe on July 22, 2017, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: whitey on July 22, 2017, 03:18:45 AM
Quote from: omochain on July 21, 2017, 10:45:55 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 21, 2017, 12:03:00 PM
Who is "Pocohontas" and why are you calling her that?

I believe he is referring to Elizabeth Warren. Senator from Massachusetts. She has a small piece of Native American Dna in her and it is what the right use to denigrate her. She is one of the few people who have taken on Wall Street and won. The right are scared "shitless" of her. Do not understand why Stew is so dismissive, she would be of a similar stripe to Bernie Sanders but smarter and Stew supported Bernie until recently. But I forgot Stew is a perfectly balanced Harps man. He has a chip on both shoulders.

Elizabeth Warren fraudently claimed to be a Native American and took a job at the expense of a "real" minority as a lecturer at Harvard.

I think she got paid close to $400K to teach ONE class at Harvard, yet rants and raves about college affordability and student debt

She had bough foreclosed properties and flipped them for a profit

She lives in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Boston and her house is worth anywhere from $1M to $5M

She is what one would refer to as a limousine liberal.  I actually like some of her ideas, but she would win a gold medal on the Olympics for hypocrisy if sucha competition existed

Can someone not earn a lot of money and live in an expensive house and not care about others? "Anywhere from $1mn to $5mn". That is a helluva range which only goes to show you haven't a clue (nor do I). To care about others should you take a vow of poverty?

Yaaaawwwwwnnn. .......Well if you knew anything about mandatory disclosures....politicians give a range of what various assets are worth....this is the number she submitted...so maybe you are the one who doesn't have a clue

I quite clearly said I didn't have a clue. However, the fact reading is a problem for you might explain how you missed answering the question asked. It might also explain your inability to explore beyond an echo chamber.

Lectues about inequality from 1% wealthy elites who inhabit the Ivory towers ring hollow with me. 

Having lived almost exclusively in Blue States for the past 25 years, I have seen these people in action time and time again........and its not pretty.  Theres a person in my town who has a "We are the 99%" bumper sticker on her Prius.  She and her husband (whos a surgeon) almost litigated their unfortunate neighbor into the poor house. (He had inherited the house from his grandmother). At the heel of the hunt, he had to put his house on the market and then couldnt sell it because the 99%'rs next door were such cvnts no one wanted to live beside them.  THEY then bough the house on the cheap, and promptly knocked it so that they could extend their garden.  Lovely people

Edit:  Last time I checked....they also had an Elizabeth Warren sticker on their car

And ... ?

Elizabeth Warren is a fraud and a phony
OK - I had no idea. Thanks for the information.

and so are her supporters
Your little parable does was interesting, but don't try to use it as evidence for this conclusion.

...at least the ones I know
Ah yes.

Absolute classic alt-right diversion. An immigrant mugged an old lady in my town. Therefore immigrants are causing an increase in crime rates. And we know the opposite is true - crime rates are lower in high-immigration areas. But Tucker Carlson's audience won't ever hear that.

I have lived in predominantly blue states for 25 years and my real life experiences have led me to form the opinion that wealthy uber liberals like Elizabeth Warren and Ted Kennedy really dont give a flying fvck about anyone or anything but themselves.  They just peddle a different flavor of bullshit to an equally uneducated and ill informed base

Im sure your past 25 years of life experience would lead to you having opinions about a variety of topics

seafoid

Whitey Warren has done a lot of work on making sure ordinary people don't pay for bank collapses. Kennedy worked a lot on things like Healthcare and did so on a bipartisan basis. What does the GOP do for ordinary people?

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2017, 06:31:31 PM
Whitey Warren has done a lot of work on making sure ordinary people don't pay for bank collapses. Kennedy worked a lot on things like Healthcare and did so on a bipartisan basis. What does the GOP do for ordinary people?

And I did mention earlier that I like some of her ideas.....however, some people gush over her like shes the second coming and cant understand how anyone can dare even question her.

Oh and I take it you knew that Ted Kenndy derailed universal healthcare under Jimmy Carter because he was going to challenge Carter in the Democratic Primary.  Read that myself in Jimmy Carters book (ie not a Fox News attack)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/16/AR2010091607487.html

(And I personally know people who worked at a country club on Cape Cod where the Kennedys were members.  Very interesting first person accounts of how they treated the staff there)

seafoid

Rob Tornoe @RobTornoe

.@brianstelter: Trump lies about voter fraud and wire tapping. @KellyannePolls: "He doesn't think he's lying about those issues."

seafoid

The leader of the free world. The capo di tutti capi of the GOP

By Jay Rosen @jayrosen_nyu

1/ About that "interview" he gave to three Times reporters I have not stopped thinking. A thread to explain why.

2/ After reading the transcript I wanted to locate the horizon and stare at it for an hour or so. Get my bearings. Alas, I was

3/ The brokenness. The ruin. Hot fracture. His interruptions that he interrupts. It's more than incoherence, it's the obliteration of sense.

4/ What I'm still piecing together, four days after, is how trying to interview him exposes premises under the practice that have gone bust.

5/ Simple example. One might ask: why didn't the reporters follow up and press him on...? But this makes no sense when interviewing Trump.

6/ For the most likely outcome of seeking clarification by way of a follow-up is that he will introduce some new and further confusion.

7/ But the problems go deeper. One premise of interviewing a public official is that the official is more "in the know" than the journalist.
8/ Everything the Times reporters asked about health care shredded that premise. He knows far less than the people seeking answers from him!

9/ If a man who can't grasp the difference between health and life insurance is a source, we need to ask... of what?

10/ It gets worse. An even more basic premise to an interview is that press and politician are separate entities: one questioning the other.

11/ With Trump, this elemental division cannot be assumed. Because he's unsure of his existence outside of being talked about by the media.

12/ At one point Trump can't recall if he's president or pundit, as he sketches his plan to 'blame the Democrats' when Obamacare collapses.

13/ You're not supposed to SAY that. You simply DO it, and let the announcers call the play. But he knows not where he ends and they begin.

14/ Message, argument, position, call: sifting the wreckage of the text, reporters can make from his words a simulacrum of such things, but—

15/ You don't get a sense that he's explaining what existed prior to its being asked about in the interview— or that it will persist after.

16/ Reading the transcript, you see desperation everywhere: a hunger for validation, a dim rage to appear before the judges of appearance.

17/ "Enemies of mine are saying it was the greatest speech ever made on foreign soil by a president... You saw the reviews I got

18/ True: every interview is a performance, a shaping of self for public consumption. And the interviewer joins in that. But in journalism—

19/ — there are no instructions for interviewing the holder of power who lacks a self. "You saw the reviews I got." By letting that pass...

20/ By not saying, "Mr. President, no one we respect thinks that was the greatest speech ever by a US president on foreign soil..."

21/ They were letting him talk, and possibly hang himself. All the cliches apply. But this is not a cliched moment. It's a civic emergency.

Exposure is a metaphor. You expose what is there. But what if Trump's answers sprang up simply to get an attention kick from the questioner?

Carol Domansky @doolittlelady·13h

Replying to @jayrosen_nyu

Thank you for this dissection of interview. Enlightening and disturbing. We are saddled with an ogre.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 22, 2017, 11:39:12 PM
Great, the air conditioner has failed, the temperature indoors is sweltering, and I have to endure Fox and Whitey.

I posed a very simple question when the idea of a Warren presidential run was posited.  I wondered about the moral equivalency between the two possible candidates, Warren and Trump.  BTW, I don't know who the Dems will run, but I don't think it'll be Warren.

Anyway, what do I get in response? A balanced assessment of their relative morality? Heck, no. Just absurdities from the Faux man and Sean Hannity's Fox News talking points from whitey.

OK, Foxy, you have the elephantine gonads to say that Warren is dishonest/corrupt.  You do know that the guy in your corner is Donald feckin' Trump, right--conman, cheat, pussy-grabber extraordinaire, who has already cost taxpayers millions with his endless golf trips and security details, not to mention the upwards of 20-30 million people he is seeking to deny healthcare.  And Foxy, despite your imbecilic point, I am not asking you to compare a person with a government, just a person with a person.

So, let's see, who's the more morally destitute?  The person who claims to be 1/32 Native American, who owns an above-average house in the Boston market (1-2 million at most), who taught at Harvard (no concrete evidence that she she used her background for advancement), and who champions the cause of the middle class against the likes of Goldman Sachs OR the inveterate liar-cheat who has refused to pay his bills, cheated construction workers/companies, gouged down to earth people with his fraudulent university.  Itemizing his lies alone would take pages, but you know that.  You and your ilk just don't give a crap.  As he said, he could shoot people on 5th Avenue, and it wouldn't bother you.

And then you have the chutzpah to mock me for saying that under Trump, American democracy is under assault.  Again, I could write screeds on that theme.  How about gerrymandering, systematic voter suppression, bogus claims of voter fraud, disdain for the truth, elevation of bogus propaganda news sites and declaring war against the legitimate news media and the very First Amendment (i.e. seeking ways to strip 1st Amendment rights from those who criticize you).

Oh, yes, and that "Russia" thing too--meddling with/sabotaging elections, colluding with Russian emissaries (and then a procession of Trumpers having a severe bout of neo-Reagan Alzheimer's when it comes to remembering meetings), financial entanglements with Russian oligarchs.

Oh, and of course, firing Comey, and actively and frantically working to discredit and remove Mueller.

Foxy et al, if you own a restaurant and the health department sends two people to inspect your premises, and you fire one and seek to unload the other, then I have news for you--your kitchen is ankle-deep in rat doo.

So, Foxy and friends, take a second to weigh ALL the shortcomings of Elizabeth Warren (or anyone else for that matter, including the real Pocahontas) against the longcomings of DJT.  What do you get?  You get the Dublin senior footballers versus the Armagh blind girls' U-7 selection.

So, yeah, get a grip.

Quality!

foxcommander

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 22, 2017, 11:39:12 PM
Great, the air conditioner has failed, the temperature indoors is sweltering, and I have to endure Fox and Whitey.

I posed a very simple question when the idea of a Warren presidential run was posited.  I wondered about the moral equivalency between the two possible candidates, Warren and Trump.  BTW, I don't know who the Dems will run, but I don't think it'll be Warren.

Anyway, what do I get in response? A balanced assessment of their relative morality? Heck, no. Just absurdities from the Faux man and Sean Hannity's Fox News talking points from whitey.

OK, Foxy, you have the elephantine gonads to say that Warren is dishonest/corrupt.  You do know that the guy in your corner is Donald feckin' Trump, right--conman, cheat, pussy-grabber extraordinaire, who has already cost taxpayers millions with his endless golf trips and security details, not to mention the upwards of 20-30 million people he is seeking to deny healthcare.  And Foxy, despite your imbecilic point, I am not asking you to compare a person with a government, just a person with a person.

So, let's see, who's the more morally destitute?  The person who claims to be 1/32 Native American, who owns an above-average house in the Boston market (1-2 million at most), who taught at Harvard (no concrete evidence that she she used her background for advancement), and who champions the cause of the middle class against the likes of Goldman Sachs OR the inveterate liar-cheat who has refused to pay his bills, cheated construction workers/companies, gouged down to earth people with his fraudulent university.  Itemizing his lies alone would take pages, but you know that.  You and your ilk just don't give a crap.  As he said, he could shoot people on 5th Avenue, and it wouldn't bother you.

And then you have the chutzpah to mock me for saying that under Trump, American democracy is under assault.  Again, I could write screeds on that theme.  How about gerrymandering, systematic voter suppression, bogus claims of voter fraud, disdain for the truth, elevation of bogus propaganda news sites and declaring war against the legitimate news media and the very First Amendment (i.e. seeking ways to strip 1st Amendment rights from those who criticize you).

Oh, yes, and that "Russia" thing too--meddling with/sabotaging elections, colluding with Russian emissaries (and then a procession of Trumpers having a severe bout of neo-Reagan Alzheimer's when it comes to remembering meetings), financial entanglements with Russian oligarchs.

Oh, and of course, firing Comey, and actively and frantically working to discredit and remove Mueller.

Foxy et al, if you own a restaurant and the health department sends two people to inspect your premises, and you fire one and seek to unload the other, then I have news for you--your kitchen is ankle-deep in rat doo.

So, Foxy and friends, take a second to weigh ALL the shortcomings of Elizabeth Warren (or anyone else for that matter, including the real Pocahontas) against the longcomings of DJT.  What do you get?  You get the Dublin senior footballers versus the Armagh blind girls' U-7 selection.

So, yeah, get a grip.

So in your book Elizabeth Warren telling lies is ok.

An individual who has shown herself to be deceitful and has the "chutzpah" to claim that she had Native American heritage to further her career. Warren CLAIMED to have 1/32 ancestry and that was debunked. She then made a u-turn and tried to talk her way out of it and not a peep from democrats. Surely you can't claim to be moral crusaders with that level of hypocrisy. Take your own team to task with their failings instead of the usual hysterical "Russia" narrative.

As for your systematic voter suppression - er, no. Allowing people to vote with no official ID is another dirty democrat trick to allow illegals to rig the election. That's way more worrying than Russians with no votes.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Oraisteach

I'll say it again, even if EVERYTHING Warren has said and done were a lie, and it's not, she's up against Donald Trump. How can you possibly think that they're comparable.  That you even consider this makes your opinion absurd, laughable, and frankly disheartening.  There is NOTHING redeeming about him whatsoever.  Oops, he did retrieve Rory McIlroy's golf club when he launched it into a pond.  He's a crook, a liar, a thief.  She, on the other hand, has a brain and a social conscience.

As for voting fraud.  It is much more than voter ID cards.  There is a ton of evidence of voter suppression.  And you think Russian intervention is insignificant.  God!

Eamonnca1

The voter-fraud commission relies on some really dodgy studies

"One of them, cited by Mr Kobach, is based on a sample of 37 respondents"

Eamonnca1

When conservatives talk about fighting the virtually non-existent problem of "voter fraud" what they're really talking about is disenfranchising blacks and other minorities who are more likely to vote Democrat.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 24, 2017, 11:51:08 PM
When conservatives talk about fighting the virtually non-existent problem of "voter fraud" what they're really talking about is disenfranchising blacks and other minorities who are more likely to vote Democrat.
Black men are disenfranchised by the prison system. It is also bad for the economy. But prison companies are big donors to the GOP