The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2017, 03:32:35 PM
G am sorta glad Fox Commander and Stew are living in America an not here, the amount of biased crap they come out with in trying to defend a clown as as a president is laughable

I dont defend Trump, he is a bollocks, I just despise the left and their witch hunt and I live in Armagh kid, your liberal media is corrupt and biased.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Wildweasel74

If you live in Armagh why u so worried about the in`s and outs of America politics, u one of the defenders of American republican party from what i see of the thread on here

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2017, 07:35:13 PM
If you live in Armagh why u so worried about the in`s and outs of America politics, u one of the defenders of American republican party from what i see of the thread on here

P Diddy, I lived in America for 22 years all told, every day a legal tax paying citizen who never took a dime of State moneyfor any reason, I went to the USA a huge fan of FDR and the Democrat party, after living in the states and experiencing the rancid, disgusting politicians of the democrat party my allegiance changed, I am not now nor never have been a republican, I like to see them win because they, at the local level are good, hard working people, my kind of people.

heganboy

You still paying tax on the USA stew or did you renounce your citizenship?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2017, 02:13:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2017, 02:02:56 PM
Romney's words:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That's an entitlement. The government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean the president starts off with 48, 49... he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. So he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5–10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.
Trump targeted a lot of those people, unlke Romney

Romney took 2 talking points that are essentially true and awkwardly mangled them together into a soundbyte that is patently untrue.

Talking point # 1 is that the Democrats have a base of supporters that he has absolutely no hope of ever in a million years convincing of voting for a Republican....eg someone like the Obamaphone lady.  He will NEVER convince them to take personal responsibility and care for their lives. They DO view themselves as victims and that the government has a responsibility to care for them.   

(The Republicans have a similar base, but instead if living in Urban Ghettos they live in the trailer parks of NC, FL and WV. They  fly confederate flags in their yards and have arsenals of weapons at the ready...think scum like the Charleston Church shooter and his family. Im sure Obama didnt spend too much time trying to convert them to Democrats)

Point # 2 is that 45% of people pay no Federal Income Tax.....the 45 % includes the 2 groups I referenced above but it ALSO includes retirees, military families, small farmers and other groups who almost exclusively vote Republican.  These are the hardworking, law abiding,  god fearing folks who (along with plenty of others) make up the backbone of the country.

So "our message of low taxes doesn't connect" with people who pay no Federal Income taxes......it connects with the 5-10% of independent voters in the middle who typically decide the election.

Im sure if Republican operatives sneaked into private Democratic fundraisers and planted hidden recording devices,  youd hear all manner of talk that would cost a candidate dearly

stew

Quote from: heganboy on June 11, 2017, 08:20:45 PM
You still paying tax on the USA stew or did you renounce your citizenship?

I renounced nothing because I had nothing to renounce, I am Irish not American and never held an American passport, I did however pay over 40 large in taxes just before I left, and that was just to the federales, I paid over ten large to the great state of Wisconsin.

I paid my dues and then some, hope that answers your question hegan.

Jell 0 Biafra

http://money.howstuffworks.com/only-53-percent-pay-income-tax.htm

As with any statement of this nature, there are some qualifiers and distinctions to be made. First of all, these numbers refer to Federal income taxes, not all income taxes and withholdings. Most workers have money withheld from each paycheck as mandatory contributions to the Social Security and Medicare trust funds. If you're self-employed, you pay 15.3 percent of your gross earnings in so-called payroll taxes. If you're employed by someone else, you pay 7.65 percent and your employer pays the same amount [source: Social Security Administration]. Many workers are also subject to state and local income taxes, property taxes and sales taxes, in addition to Federal income taxes [source: Khimm].

heganboy

Quote from: stew on June 11, 2017, 08:11:45 PM

P Diddy, I lived in America for 22 years all told, every day a legal tax paying citizen who never took a dime of State moneyfor any reason, I went to the USA a huge fan of FDR and the Democrat party, after living in the states and experiencing the rancid, disgusting politicians of the democrat party my allegiance changed, I am not now nor never have been a republican, I like to see them win because they, at the local level are good, hard working people, my kind of people.

Except that you weren't actually a citizen, meaning you couldn't actually vote.

you could of course have made campaign contributions to have influenced the outcome of the campaign without actually registering one vote.

Sort of like the Russians...

I think I remember you saying in the past that you did have a situation where a dem politician was less than useful to you, and a local Republican stepped in to help. Is that accurate?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: heganboy on June 12, 2017, 08:30:01 AM

P Diddy, I lived in America for 22 years all told, every day a legal tax paying citizen who never took a dime of State money for any reason, I went to the USA a huge fan of FDR and the Democrat party, after living in the states and experiencing the rancid, disgusting politicians of the democrat party my allegiance changed, I am not now nor never have been a republican, I like to see them win because they, at the local level are good, hard working people, my kind of people.

Except that you weren't actually a citizen, meaning you couldn't actually vote.

So what has that got to do with anything?

I could not vote, I did however donate to two different political causes in my time there, I also went door to door for both of them because I believed in them as people, the first one was a republican, the second was a republican turned democrat, she was my golf partner and one of the hardest working and caring people I ever met.

you could of course have made campaign contributions to have influenced the outcome of the campaign without actually registering one vote.
  I did donate money, 6 grand over two election cycles, not much but it was what I could afford.

Sort of like the Russians... Give over!

I think I remember you saying in the past that you did have a situation where a dem politician was less than useful to you, and a local Republican stepped in to help. Is that accurate?

Sort of, it was a situation were I went to the democrat party looking for advice/help on an issue with a business I was buying into, they were rude, dismissive and were bought and paid for by a competitor, I ended up buying that competitor out two years later and sold out six months after that, in my dealings with democrats I have to say they really tried hard to show you how hard they were working for you yet you knew along they were useless and out of their debth

J70

To stew:

Fox do get things wrong on occasion, nowhere near as much as CNN and MSNBC etc.

Really?
There is data out there to back up this assertion?

Anonymous sources are being used and abused and lied about in the liberal media, they are out to screw Trump at every turn.

Once again, there is data out there that proves that these sources are spreading mostly false information?

The BLM hate group id alive and well and it is more than a few in it, the Milwaukee Sheriff agrees with me and sure he is a big black fellah himself! )

The Milwaukee sheriff who has seized on a massive self-promotion opportunity as a "safe" black voice for Fox News (a bit like Roy Spencer, the climate denialist scientist, who gets wheeled out on Fox whenever some climate issue has to be "rebutted"). Right.
If their opinion wasn't contrarian and not in line with the anti-intellectual biases of the right, no one would have heard of either.
And you mock liberals for now "lauding" Comey!

Pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon, and not a republican in sight, every **** chanting was a liberal sack of shite!

Yet again, you use isolated incidents to tarnish the entire movement AND Democratic Party.
Well let's just extend that logic and lump you and your ilk in with the white supremacist morons who were marching all over the US this weekend. Not too many liberals or Dems amongst that lot.
See how that works?

F Bombs, I mentioned that because you now have senators, liberal senators who seem to think they are cool hip and trendy dropping f bombs at rallies, they are appealing to the low gradeliberal base but it does demean the office these knackers represent.
I'm almost afraid to ask (or more correctly I can probably guess), but is this all based on a single or a couple of incidents? Or is Chuck Schumer and Elizabeth Warren up there on the podium every day effing and blinding?

He was deprived out of a fair, democratic election by the party he was hoping to lead, they cheated him, his base and indeed the country to get Killory elected, thats how!

All very vague stew. How did Bernie's campaign suffer? Would the four million excess votes for Hillary NOT have happened?

Aye and the party and Clinton and their media.
You implied no one lost their job. I corrected you that the DNC CHAIRWOMAN had in fact lost her job. Now you're whining about the media again.

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 12, 2017, 12:18:17 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2017, 02:13:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2017, 02:02:56 PM
Romney's words:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That's an entitlement. The government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean the president starts off with 48, 49... he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. So he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5–10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.
Trump targeted a lot of those people, unlke Romney

Romney took 2 talking points that are essentially true and awkwardly mangled them together into a soundbyte that is patently untrue.

Talking point # 1 is that the Democrats have a base of supporters that he has absolutely no hope of ever in a million years convincing of voting for a Republican....eg someone like the Obamaphone lady.  He will NEVER convince them to take personal responsibility and care for their lives. They DO view themselves as victims and that the government has a responsibility to care for them.   

(The Republicans have a similar base, but instead if living in Urban Ghettos they live in the trailer parks of NC, FL and WV. They  fly confederate flags in their yards and have arsenals of weapons at the ready...think scum like the Charleston Church shooter and his family. Im sure Obama didnt spend too much time trying to convert them to Democrats)

Point # 2 is that 45% of people pay no Federal Income Tax.....the 45 % includes the 2 groups I referenced above but it ALSO includes retirees, military families, small farmers and other groups who almost exclusively vote Republican.  These are the hardworking, law abiding,  god fearing folks who (along with plenty of others) make up the backbone of the country.

So "our message of low taxes doesn't connect" with people who pay no Federal Income taxes......it connects with the 5-10% of independent voters in the middle who typically decide the election.

Im sure if Republican operatives sneaked into private Democratic fundraisers and planted hidden recording devices,  youd hear all manner of talk that would cost a candidate dearly

I had to read back to remind myself why we were discussing this!

I agree with part of what you said above i.e. the breakdown of people who pay relatively low or no federal income taxes and their respective ironclad loyalty to their respective parties and the parties respective writing off of those people. I also agree that all kinds of potentially embarrassing, if honest, things are obviously said behind closed doors with "safe" audiences when everyone lets their hair down e.g. Obama's comment on people "clinging" to their guns and religion.

However, what Romney said to that audience was that almost the entirety of those non-federal tax payers were out of his and the GOP's reach, despite the fact that, as you've outlined, many of them are loyal Republican voters. He basically wrote off the entire Democratic base as "moochers" who want to suck on the government teat, when that is not the case at all. Fox News, especially the likes of Bill O'Reilly, doubled down on this after that election, claiming these Democratic voters want "free stuff" from the government.

I'm sure there are Democratic voters who likes living off welfare (I can't imagine why myself, but that's as someone who's never done it), just like I'm sure there are plenty of Republican ones who, ironically, also appreciate government "largesse". But I'm also sure that many of these people work shitty jobs and struggle just to feed and house their families and simply don't earn enough to even reach the federal tax threshold. And I'm also positive that a large proportion of the people who vote Democratic and lean liberal in their politics are highly functioning, productive members of society who pay as much taxes and live responsible lives as any equivalent Republican.

Now maybe Romney didn't mean to conflate the 47% who hold liberal views of what government should be responsible for with the 47% who don't pay federal income tax, but that is what he did and the prevailing GOP message of that election (i.e. job creators, makers/takers etc.) didn't exactly contradict that interpretation.

J70

Just a shame about their national-level people and policies then. ;)

Ball Hopper

Are you eligible for Social Security from the USA?  Think you must be a citizen to avail of it, hence a lot of older applicants recently. 

J70

So now he's got his cabinet humiliating themselves in trying to outdo each other in venerating the Dear Leader.

Has the like ever been seen before outside of North Korea or some capos in a movie kissing the Don's ring??

It's like a hostage video!

Kim Jung Trump - yeah, you're up there with FDR all right!  ;D

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on June 13, 2017, 02:13:53 PM
So now he's got his cabinet humiliating themselves in trying to outdo each other in venerating the Dear Leader.

Has the like ever been seen before outside of North Korea or some capos in a movie kissing the Don's ring??

It's like a hostage video!

Kim Jung Trump - yeah, you're up there with FDR all right!  ;D

That was grotesque. The comparison with the SOP of totalitarian dictators is unavoidable  and chilling.