The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Jerry Falwell Jr. asked to lead Trump education task force - You couldn't make this up

Falwell says the earth is 6,000 years old and blamed 9/11 on gay people. This is the level of stupid you are being asked to tolerate.

seafoid

Quote from: Declan on February 01, 2017, 07:45:19 AM
Jerry Falwell Jr. asked to lead Trump education task force - You couldn't make this up

Falwell says the earth is 6,000 years old and blamed 9/11 on gay people. This is the level of stupid you are being asked to tolerate.
De vos is just as bad

Hound

Quote from: easytiger95 on January 31, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 31, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 31, 2017, 12:13:21 PM
QuoteI've been surprised, though, ever since the emergence of Trump and his campaign tactics, that, in general, the much maligned mainstream media appears to be avoiding reference to the similarities between the Trump movement and the fascist movements of the 1930s.

It can hardly be that they've failed to notice. I suppose it's editorial judgement. It would be all too easy for the alt-right to scream about hysteria and ridicule any comparisons with Nazism or Italian fascism. How long can it be, though?

This is the poster which hangs at the US Holocaust Museum - given the statement issued by El Presidente on National Holocaust Day this week that failed to mention the Jewish people handy to remind ourselves

Looking at it objectively (if that's possible on this forum), how many of those Fascim traits listed has Trump exhibited since he was elected (and that wasn't exhibited by say Bush II or Clinton)?
We're getting a bit hysterical I think.

If it walks like a duck, Hound.....

I asked for an objective analysis easytiger!

1. "America First"
- Absolutely. Big deal in my opinion that a prime minister/president will put his own country's interests first.

2. "Muslim Ban", "I'd bomb the shit out of them" "torture works"
- It's not a human right to be allowed to enter any country you want, so the ban is not a breach of human rights. Sure, the prevention of entry of the people who had already secured visas was wrong, but again the media headlines has all the details about the hassle, but very little about the fact that most of those were eventually let in.
- He probably hasn't committed torture yet, unlike most past US presidents since WWII, and many other leaders of countries all over the world. He said he believes "torture works". Well it's been used as an interrogation technique for thousands of years, so it probably often does work.

4. Three generals in his cabinet - not that unusual - having to get a waiver for one to run Defence and having his NSA as one yes, unusual
- Just typical Republican nominations

5. Machedo- pussy - his entire married life
- Typical powerful man. See Clinton.

6. Not as possible today as in the 30s in modern western democracies - but "cowed" mass media is something he is definitely attempting, constantly attacking MSM
- Clearly he has not and cannot accomplish "controlled mass media".

8. Certainly Bannon/Miller are making national security decisions based on a perceived clash between Christianity and Islam - with a whole tablespoon of anti-Semitism thrown in
- There's no way anyone could objectively argue that under Trump "Religion and Government is intertwined".
- Throwing in "anti-semistim" is typical hyperbole of some who are searching for reasons to label Trump as some sort of antichrist figure

9. See all his cabinet picks except Kelly and Mattis
- "Corporate Power protected" is something that could be thrown at every US president since JFK. Not sure how that is a facist tendancy, as it's common in the western world

10. See his previous career and attempts to keep unions out of Trump Hotels
- It seems 100% clear that he treated low level employees miserably throughout his career. But he turned that all around in his election promises and managed to convince a significant amount of low paid workers that he's the answer to their problems and he'll bring jobs back to the USA.

11. Meryl Streep et al - degrading of scientific research at EPA/NASA etc
- Meryl's hardly an intelletcual. I read every single Republican candidate's profile early on in the election campaign. Every one of them said climate change is a hoax. Idiots. But that's the market share they're chasing.

12. "American carnage" - "Send in the Feds"
- Agreed. He said he'd do it, now he's going to try and do it. Not the first US politician to try it

13. See number 9, plus failure to divest himself of family company, sons attending meetings with foreign leaders, son-in-law as advisor etc
- Rampant croneyism is a feature of every US president, in terms of making his appointments. No evidence of corruption, although we can be sure he's not whiter than white, but enough to make his a fascist.

14. See everything he said about rigged elections during the campaign - and everything he is saying now re 3-5 million voters - all as preparation for "reforms" - can't wait for them.
- He's been involved in no fraudulent elections.

Very few on here seem to be able to view Trump objectively. I certainly would have voted for Hillary, but Trump is entitled to govern the US as he said he would in his mandate. His proposed US tax reforms will be really bad for me personally, so I'd love it if he did something out of bounds and was impeached. But he's not going to turn into a Fascist Dictator :)

Hound

He's a typical Republican religious nut-ball.
Have you got any links on the 9/11 accusation?

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on February 01, 2017, 08:01:19 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on January 31, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 31, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 31, 2017, 12:13:21 PM
QuoteI've been surprised, though, ever since the emergence of Trump and his campaign tactics, that, in general, the much maligned mainstream media appears to be avoiding reference to the similarities between the Trump movement and the fascist movements of the 1930s.

It can hardly be that they've failed to notice. I suppose it's editorial judgement. It would be all too easy for the alt-right to scream about hysteria and ridicule any comparisons with Nazism or Italian fascism. How long can it be, though?

This is the poster which hangs at the US Holocaust Museum - given the statement issued by El Presidente on National Holocaust Day this week that failed to mention the Jewish people handy to remind ourselves

Looking at it objectively (if that's possible on this forum), how many of those Fascim traits listed has Trump exhibited since he was elected (and that wasn't exhibited by say Bush II or Clinton)?
We're getting a bit hysterical I think.

If it walks like a duck, Hound.....

I asked for an objective analysis easytiger!

1. "America First"
- Absolutely. Big deal in my opinion that a prime minister/president will put his own country's interests first.

- It's not a human right to be allowed to enter any country you want, so the ban is not a breach of human rights. Sure, the prevention of entry of the people who had already secured visas was wrong, but again the media headlines has all the details about the hassle, but very little about the fact that most of those were eventually let in.
- He probably hasn't committed torture yet, unlike most past US presidents since WWII, and many other leaders of countries all over the world. He said he believes "torture works". Well it's been used as an interrogation technique for thousands of years, so it probably often does work.

4. Three generals in his cabinet - not that unusual - having to get a waiver for one to run Defence and having his NSA as one yes, unusual
- Just typical Republican nominations

- Typical powerful man. See Clinton.

6. Not as possible today as in the 30s in modern western democracies - but "cowed" mass media is something he is definitely attempting, constantly attacking MSM
- Clearly he has not and cannot accomplish "controlled mass media".

8. Certainly Bannon/Miller are making national security decisions based on a perceived clash between Christianity and Islam - with a whole tablespoon of anti-Semitism thrown in
- There's no way anyone could objectively argue that under Trump "Religion and Government is intertwined".
- Throwing in "anti-semistim" is typical hyperbole of some who are searching for reasons to label Trump as some sort of antichrist figure

- "Corporate Power protected" is something that could be thrown at every US president since JFK. Not sure how that is a facist tendancy, as it's common in the western world

- It seems 100% clear that he treated low level employees miserably throughout his career. But he turned that all around in his election promises and managed to convince a significant amount of low paid workers that he's the answer to their problems and he'll bring jobs back to the USA.

- Meryl's hardly an intelletcual. I read every single Republican candidate's profile early on in the election campaign. Every one of them said climate change is a hoax. Idiots. But that's the market share they're chasing.

- Agreed. He said he'd do it, now he's going to try and do it. Not the first US politician to try it

13. See number 9, plus failure to divest himself of family company, sons attending meetings with foreign leaders, son-in-law as advisor etc
- Rampant croneyism is a feature of every US president, in terms of making his appointments. No evidence of corruption, although we can be sure he's not whiter than white, but enough to make his a fascist.

14. See everything he said about rigged elections during the campaign - and everything he is saying now re 3-5 million voters - all as preparation for "reforms" - can't wait for them.

Very few on here seem to be able to view Trump objectively. I certainly would have voted for Hillary, but Trump is entitled to govern the US as he said he would in his mandate. His proposed US tax reforms will be really bad for me personally, so I'd love it if he did something out of bounds and was impeached. But he's not going to turn into a Fascist Dictator :)
The fascism list is incomplete because it is missing the economic context of a failed pro capital system which was the case in the 30s and  is also the case now. Bannon can do Goebbels.

DrinkingHarp

With this pick, Trump University will be up and running again in no time.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on February 01, 2017, 08:06:49 AM

He's a typical Republican religious nut-ball.
Have you got any links on the 9/11 accusation?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=121322

Hopefully the Dems fillibuster the shit out of this Gorsuch nomination. It's only right after what the Republicans did to Obama... McConnell on talk shows all week seemingly forgetting what happened towards the end of last year!!

No wides

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2017, 09:26:54 PM
Quote from: No wides on January 31, 2017, 09:14:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2017, 09:13:04 PM
Quote from: No wides on January 31, 2017, 09:05:09 PM
What is wrong with looking after your own. How many here would take a refugee or a stranger into their home. Hypocrite s the lot. Discussion board warrior's Hardy and J70 two biggest shit talkers.

And as usual all you can do is throw insults around instead of addressing actual points. :-*

Carry on.

You are unreal read back kid you are the mastet of personal insults. So would you take a refugee into your home,

Yeah, but I address the arguments first and foremost. You do only the insults.

As for personally taking someone into my home, I'm not in a position to take anyone into my home. But I'm perfectly happy to support politicians who want to help and pay extra taxes/make charitable contributions to support government programmes and NGOs, you know, professional outfits that are actually trained and equipped to deal with this stuff. The idea that its either personally take people into your own home or shut the f**k up is just simplistic, idiotic nonsense meant to shut down debate because you don't want to hear that we should be helping them out.

So you personally aren't helping refugees, are you campaigning to get them resettled in your area, are you reaching out to local government offering your services to help relocate them or are you just talking shite to sound chic liberal as always?

Declan

Very few on here seem to be able to view Trump objectively. I certainly would have voted for Hillary, but Trump is entitled to govern the US as he said he would in his mandate. His proposed US tax reforms will be really bad for me personally, so I'd love it if he did something out of bounds and was impeached. But he's not going to turn into a Fascist Dictato

I agree that he's entitled to govern according to his mandate but that shouldn't stop people protesting against him. Not sure what you mean in judging him objectively. I'm judging him by his actions and words and I think he's a dangerous, narcissistic man with the capability to do huge damage to both the US and the rest of of the world

easytiger95

Hang on a second there Hound - my analysis was objective. The poster stated facets of fascist behaviour and I gave examples for all.

1. "America First"
- Absolutely. Big deal in my opinion that a prime minister/president will put his own country's interests first. - whether you believe that it is a big deal or not, it is still a display of nationalism

The point is that in these statements he is displaying a disdain for human rights as per the poster- a "muslim" ban would be specifically unconstitutional under the Establishment Clause of the Constitution - whether the ban he actually implemented is, is a matter for the American courts. He has also threatened to kill the families of terrorists in reprisal, and has specifically stated his belief in the efficacy of torture - again, showing disdain for human rights, under the Geneva Convention.

- Just typical Republican nominations - whether they are typical republican nominations or not, it still displays an awe of the military, something several of his biographers have pointed out, and he had to get a special waiver from Congress to do so. Stop me when anything I saw is less than objective.

- Typical powerful man. See Clinton. - whether it is typical of a powerful man or not (and it is not typical for a man, no matter how powerful, to sexually assault women, which he is alleged to have done, and admitted to on tape) it is still sexist behaviour. There are loads more examples, so you can tick that box beside the poster. Also, whataboutery about Clinton, is still just whataboutery - an excuse for terrible conduct.

- Clearly he has not and cannot accomplish "controlled mass media". - Why do you say that? Putin did, and does. He already has one network behind him (Fox) and he is clearly empowering sites like Breitbart and Infowars (who received White House credentials yesterday), whilst at every stage denigrating the MSM as fake news. It is clearly what he is doing, whether he is successful or not is yet to be seen.

Whether he believes it or not, religious imagery and allusions have been all over the texts of his executive orders since his inauguration - check them out, they are all available on line. As well as that, on his twitter last week, he explicitly made the argument that Christians should be prioritised as refugees over muslims and made the same argument to a faith based cable channel as well.
As for Anti-Semitism, Trump himself was criticised during the campaign for retweeting anti-Semitic material from a white supremacist website to attack Hillary Clinton, whilst his last campaign ad before the election was denounced by the ADF as being ant-Semitic, decrying as it did shadowy international bankers and ending on an image of Lloyd Blankfein.
As for Steve Bannon, he was accused on anti-Semitism by his ex wife in court papers, he was CEO of Breitbart which was explicitly anti-Semitic (see their William Kristol headline) and he drafted the White House Holocaust Day statement, which omitted any mention of Jews. All these things happened. That's not hyperbole.

Considering he ran on a "drain the swamp" message and that the net worth of his Cabinet picks far exceeds any picked before, his embrace of corporate power is both hypocritical and unprecedented in its scope. On its own, it cannot be considered fascist - combine it with another 13 tendencies and you get a better picture. Which is the point of the poster, and which you don't seem to understand.

He also said he'd drain the swamp. And as seen above he is not going to do that. His promises mean nothing, and the Right to Work law which the Republicans are preparing to push through Congress will mean the death of organised labour as we know it in the States. Again, these things are really happening and you should check them out rather than basing your argument on the election promises of DJT.

I included Meryl as an example of the artistic community - it was both Arts and intellectuals in the poster. So does chasing market share excuse what he is doing? He is appointing a climate denier to head the EPA and has instructed NASA to no longer carry out measurements on global warming. So you can tick that box beside the line on the poster.

He also displayed these traits long ago with the Central Park 8 - if he'd had his way, innocent people would have been executed. The checks and balances of the American system are about to be tested to the limits.

Again, you are wilfully misunderstanding the posters premise. Having one tendency does not make you a fascist. Having the majority of them (which it is plain that he does) at least makes you a proto-fascist. As for cronyism and corruption, both Republican and Democratic former heads of the Office of Governmental Ethics made it clear that as it stood, unless he completely divested himself of his company, President Trump represented the most monumental conflict of interests in the history of the Presidency. That is not entirely his fault, he is, after all an international businessman. But his failure to divest means he is now in violation of the constitution and the only reason impeachment hearings aren't starting already is because Republicans control the houses. He is in violation of the Emoluments Clause, he has appointed to Cabinet positions people who are refusing to comply with ethics disclosures, and in the case of Mnuchin and Price, more revelations are coming out of them lying to the committees. The only Presidency that is in any way comparable to this one in cronyism and corruption, is Warren Hardings, and we are only two weeks in. Whataboutery won't excuse it.

Ah, but he said he was originally - remember the Iowa primary? And then he kept up the rigged talk all the way through the general. Until he won, of course, and then his own attorneys attested in a deposition to prevent the Stein recount, that the elections were free and fair. And then he changed his mind again, saying that between 3-5 million votes were cast fraudulently. Now, you could put all this down to his id, and unwillingness to countenance anything approaching a defeat maturely, but you can be sure his advisors will use the "investigation" into this "rigged" election to make sure that he will not have to face a popular defeat again. And I haven't even mentioned the Russian hacking, which was undertaken to influence votes in his favour, if not the physical act of voting.

All that stuff happened objectively. And putting them all together - which is the point of the poster - presents a fairly damning picture. Please don't say you weren't warned.

seafoid

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on January 31, 2017, 08:27:07 PM
No need to resort to insults.  My opinions are just as valid as yours....that's what one does on a discussion board...offer opinions

If you base your opinions on falsehoods - such as stating that I had argued about California's population as being an outlier before, which I didn't - then they are not valid. Perhaps if you were more truthful in your posts, I wouldn't have to posit the choice of you being either malicious or stupid.

No wides

Quote from: sid waddell on February 01, 2017, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 01, 2017, 11:28:17 AM
What was his mandate?
- 2.86 million.

That wasn't the goal of the election, you can have 99% possession in a football match and lose 1 nil, suck it up Trump is President and all your yapping or the yapping of hypocritical celebs wont change that.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 01, 2017, 11:28:06 AM
Hang on a second there Hound - my analysis was objective. The poster stated facets of fascist behaviour and I gave examples for all.

1. "America First"
- Absolutely. Big deal in my opinion that a prime minister/president will put his own country's interests first. - whether you believe that it is a big deal or not, it is still a display of nationalism

The point is that in these statements he is displaying a disdain for human rights as per the poster- a "muslim" ban would be specifically unconstitutional under the Establishment Clause of the Constitution - whether the ban he actually implemented is, is a matter for the American courts. He has also threatened to kill the families of terrorists in reprisal, and has specifically stated his belief in the efficacy of torture - again, showing disdain for human rights, under the Geneva Convention.

- Just typical Republican nominations - whether they are typical republican nominations or not, it still displays an awe of the military, something several of his biographers have pointed out, and he had to get a special waiver from Congress to do so. Stop me when anything I saw is less than objective.

- Typical powerful man. See Clinton. - whether it is typical of a powerful man or not (and it is not typical for a man, no matter how powerful, to sexually assault women, which he is alleged to have done, and admitted to on tape) it is still sexist behaviour. There are loads more examples, so you can tick that box beside the poster. Also, whataboutery about Clinton, is still just whataboutery - an excuse for terrible conduct.

- Clearly he has not and cannot accomplish "controlled mass media". - Why do you say that? Putin did, and does. He already has one network behind him (Fox) and he is clearly empowering sites like Breitbart and Infowars (who received White House credentials yesterday), whilst at every stage denigrating the MSM as fake news. It is clearly what he is doing, whether he is successful or not is yet to be seen.

Whether he believes it or not, religious imagery and allusions have been all over the texts of his executive orders since his inauguration - check them out, they are all available on line. As well as that, on his twitter last week, he explicitly made the argument that Christians should be prioritised as refugees over muslims and made the same argument to a faith based cable channel as well.
As for Anti-Semitism, Trump himself was criticised during the campaign for retweeting anti-Semitic material from a white supremacist website to attack Hillary Clinton, whilst his last campaign ad before the election was denounced by the ADF as being ant-Semitic, decrying as it did shadowy international bankers and ending on an image of Lloyd Blankfein.
As for Steve Bannon, he was accused on anti-Semitism by his ex wife in court papers, he was CEO of Breitbart which was explicitly anti-Semitic (see their William Kristol headline) and he drafted the White House Holocaust Day statement, which omitted any mention of Jews. All these things happened. That's not hyperbole.

Considering he ran on a "drain the swamp" message and that the net worth of his Cabinet picks far exceeds any picked before, his embrace of corporate power is both hypocritical and unprecedented in its scope. On its own, it cannot be considered fascist - combine it with another 13 tendencies and you get a better picture. Which is the point of the poster, and which you don't seem to understand.

He also said he'd drain the swamp. And as seen above he is not going to do that. His promises mean nothing, and the Right to Work law which the Republicans are preparing to push through Congress will mean the death of organised labour as we know it in the States. Again, these things are really happening and you should check them out rather than basing your argument on the election promises of DJT.

I included Meryl as an example of the artistic community - it was both Arts and intellectuals in the poster. So does chasing market share excuse what he is doing? He is appointing a climate denier to head the EPA and has instructed NASA to no longer carry out measurements on global warming. So you can tick that box beside the line on the poster.

He also displayed these traits long ago with the Central Park 8 - if he'd had his way, innocent people would have been executed. The checks and balances of the American system are about to be tested to the limits.

Again, you are wilfully misunderstanding the posters premise. Having one tendency does not make you a fascist. Having the majority of them (which it is plain that he does) at least makes you a proto-fascist. As for cronyism and corruption, both Republican and Democratic former heads of the Office of Governmental Ethics made it clear that as it stood, unless he completely divested himself of his company, President Trump represented the most monumental conflict of interests in the history of the Presidency. That is not entirely his fault, he is, after all an international businessman. But his failure to divest means he is now in violation of the constitution and the only reason impeachment hearings aren't starting already is because Republicans control the houses. He is in violation of the Emoluments Clause, he has appointed to Cabinet positions people who are refusing to comply with ethics disclosures, and in the case of Mnuchin and Price, more revelations are coming out of them lying to the committees. The only Presidency that is in any way comparable to this one in cronyism and corruption, is Warren Hardings, and we are only two weeks in. Whataboutery won't excuse it.

Ah, but he said he was originally - remember the Iowa primary? And then he kept up the rigged talk all the way through the general. Until he won, of course, and then his own attorneys attested in a deposition to prevent the Stein recount, that the elections were free and fair. And then he changed his mind again, saying that between 3-5 million votes were cast fraudulently. Now, you could put all this down to his id, and unwillingness to countenance anything approaching a defeat maturely, but you can be sure his advisors will use the "investigation" into this "rigged" election to make sure that he will not have to face a popular defeat again. And I haven't even mentioned the Russian hacking, which was undertaken to influence votes in his favour, if not the physical act of voting.

All that stuff happened objectively. And putting them all together - which is the point of the poster - presents a fairly damning picture. Please don't say you weren't warned.

Bannon deserves a mention

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/11/12/trump-victory-how-it-happened/

When one considers what kind of administration Trump will form, the people he's had around him in the presidential race and the manner in which he organized his campaign give pause. Trump's second and final campaign chairman, Steve Bannon, of Breitbart News, pushes the "alt-right" theme of white supremacy and is believed to have been the guiding spirit behind Trump's chillingly anti-Semetic final campaign ad, which charged that Clinton associated with three people who happen to be prominent Jews: George Soros ("those who control the levers of power in Washington"); Fed chairman Janet Yellen ("global special interests"); and Lloyd Blankfein ("put money into the pockets of large corporations"). It's hard to see how it could have been more blatant. These weren't "dog whistles," they were dogs barking loudly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vST61W4bGm8

Bannon is the power behind Trump