The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: stew on November 22, 2016, 10:40:37 AM
Quote from: trileacman on November 21, 2016, 11:09:08 PM
Obama was a great president and I think will rightly go down in history as such. I think he'll be mentioned in the same breath as Kennedy and FDR in years to come. A true compassionate leader.

Pity he didn't get a 20 year term. It's sad so many Americans (and Irish apparently) are so naive and weak minded that they can be brainwashed into thinking he was a poor president. Obamination" is the mutterings of a total utter gobshite.

10 trillion debt in eight years, more than every other president combined makes him an absolute nightmare of a president, how is the country going to recover from that?

Obamacare has been a disaster, the rollout sums up this clampetts presidency, a total clusterfuck!

Black people are worse off now than they were ten years ago.

Great idea to give billions to the banking elite, first thing they did was give themselves big bonuses for losing trillions.

Benghazi was on his watch, he let terrorists go for a traitor, I could go on but can't be bothered.

Only a complete and utter moron would think Obama is a great president, Clinton ran on four more years of Obama and the country said no, that's how great he was.

The man is a decent human being, a far better one than the two arseholes who wanted has job, that said he has been a disaster and I pity the monkeys that cannot see it, so attached are they to their liberal ideals

Who pays the ten trillion back then?

I asked you before stew - what should Obama have done in terms of debt and poverty and jobs and so on, given the hand he was dealt.

The economy was losing 750K jobs a month when he took over, an absolutely extraordinary figure. Tell us what he should have done that he didn't (or what he did do that he shouldn't)?

20 million people have health insurance now that didn't before due to Obamacare (and it would be more if the GOP hadn't tried to stick to him and poor people in a number of states).

What should he have done to address the healthcare issue? The GOP negotiated in bad faith. Obamacare, their idea, is what we ended up with, but it gets the basics right with the mandate, the prohibition on pre-existing conditions penalization, extension of child coverage and so on. There is no addressing the health care problem without a mandate, as you need the buy-in from young people to fund affordable health care for the old and sick. But, a lot of people would rather pay the financial penalty and skip it, so the pool is older and sicker than it should be.

How would the world look now if McCain/Palin had won the White House?

Would it be better? If so, how?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 22, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2016, 11:01:31 AM
Obama was a great president and I think will rightly go down in history as such. I think he'll be mentioned in the same breath as Kennedy and FDR in years to come. A true compassionate leader.

Pity he didn't get a 20 year term. It's sad so many Americans (and Irish apparently) are so naive and weak minded that they can be brainwashed into thinking he was a poor president. Obamination" is the mutterings of a total utter gobshite.

10 trillion debt in eight years, more than every other president combined makes him an absolute nightmare of a president, how is the country going to recover from that?

Obamacare has been a disaster, the rollout sums up this clampetts presidency, a total clusterfuck!

Great idea to give billions to the banking elite, first thing they did was give themselves big bonuses for losing trillions.

Benghazi was on his watch, he let terrorists go for a traitor, I could go on but can't be bothered.

Only a complete and utter moron would think Obama is a great president, Clinton ran on four more years of Obama and the country said no, that's how great he was.

The man is a decent human being, a far better one than the two arseholes who wanted has job, that said he has been a disaster and I pity the monkeys that cannot see it, so attached are they to their liberal ideals

It won't be paid back.
The Fed has been buying debt since 2009. It will probably cancel it

I don't really understand your agenda Seafoid.

2009 is not the watershed in the disastrous US finances. It was the election of G.W. Bush. You know that better than anyone here.

Obama was left with a rapidly rising mountain of debt, wouldn't cut spending and had a completely belligerent GOP, who wouldn't let him raise taxes. They are all responsible for the $18Tr. 

As for Trump, he wants to 'do a deal', or default on at least some of it. That'll be fun.

Muppet the watershed was 1980.

Bush was a stage on the road.
Thatcherism/neoliberalism is built on debt.
And all the money goes to the rich . That is why the UK is now banjaxed. It is why there is no inflation in the EZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOuf69G7AQU

58% of new income in the US 1975 to 2007 went to the 0.1%

Obama is a nice guy. He did a few good things like gay marriage and work on climate
But he knew nothing about foreign Policy. So Hillary and the neocons captured him
And he didn't know anything about economics.
So Wall St captured him

Thomas Palley had an article about Obama's economics advisors

"Obama is a politician, not an expert in economics, and as a politician determined to take an intelligent approach to the problems confronting America, he sensibly decided to get his information on these challenges from the very best.
How was he to know that the world's leading economists, the "very best" in this crucial field, actually knew nothing about how the real economy actually functions?
Only after 2 years in office, when the economy is not recovering from the recession as his advisors told him it would, and the remedies that he throws at it (on their advice) turn out to be more damp squibs that the weapons of mass economic reconstruction he was told they would be, must it slowly be dawning on him that may don't understand the economy.
He's learning the hard way the lesson I and many other critical economists acquired as we studied for our economics degrees–mostly by reacting incredulously to weird propositions that our Professors would use to derive their models–that there is something rotten in the state of economic thinking"

Debt can no longer generate economic growth.

It's ludicrous to say growth is over because if everyone on this board got a 10% payrise and that was repeated across the OECD economy you would have loads of ideas.

I have zero faith in anybody in power to fix this. The Dems are just as venal as the GOP.

And now lookit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=1o6-bi3jlxk

Tremenjus

stew

Quote from: J70 on November 22, 2016, 12:09:53 PM

I asked you before stew - what should Obama have done in terms of debt and poverty and jobs and so on, given the hand he was dealt.

The economy was losing 750K jobs a month when he took over, an absolutely extraordinary figure. Tell us what he should have done that he didn't (or what he did do that he shouldn't)?

20 million people have health insurance now that didn't before due to Obamacare (and it would be more if the GOP hadn't tried to stick to him and poor people in a number of states).

What should he have done to address the healthcare issue? The GOP negotiated in bad faith. Obamacare, their idea, is what we ended up with, but it gets the basics right with the mandate, the prohibition on pre-existing conditions penalization, extension of child coverage and so on. There is no addressing the health care problem without a mandate, as you need the buy-in from young people to fund affordable health care for the old and sick. But, a lot of people would rather pay the financial penalty and skip it, so the pool is older and sicker than it should be.

I would cut interest rates even further and kept them low, I would have made the government smaller and I would have penalised American companies that shut up shop and facked off to say Mexico or Ireland etc.

I would have had cut all wasteful spending and I would grow the economy which would help lower the twenty trillion debt.

I would use part of any surplus to reduce the debt and I would lower the legal drinking age to 18 years of age, further I would invest in opening government run pharmacies that sell drugs that are currently illegal, since there are said to be 100 million drug users in the states, the profits could be used to help the addicts, treatment centers would be funded and the surplus government taxes could go to reducing the national debt, you also eliminate the need for drug dealers and you .ca control the quality of the narcotics.

I write the above as a man who has never do much as has a drag of a cigarette!

I know I will get stick for the last paragraph but the vast I look at it is the shit is in the country and the government spend billions in a futile attempt to stop the flow.

Pertaining to Obama care, the French, Swiss and Brita have some of the best healthcare systems in the world, I would have studied the top ten with empasis on the bigger countries and built a healthcare system that works for all.
Obama's team claimed they studied other nations, given the horrendous rollout and implemrotation of Obama care I highly doubt that.

J70 you asked what I would do, that is what I would do.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

Quote from: stew on November 22, 2016, 02:13:27 PM

I would cut interest rates even further and kept them low, I would have made the government smaller and I would have penalised American companies that shut up shop and facked off to say Mexico or Ireland etc.

I would have had cut all wasteful spending and I would grow the economy which would help lower the twenty trillion debt.

I would use part of any surplus to reduce the debt and I would lower the legal drinking age to 18 years of age, further I would invest in opening government run pharmacies that sell drugs that are currently illegal, since there are said to be 100 million drug users in the states, the profits could be used to help the addicts, treatment centers would be funded and the surplus government taxes could go to reducing the national debt, you also eliminate the need for drug dealers and you .ca control the quality of the narcotics.

I know I will get stick for the last paragraph but the vast I look at it is the shit is in the country and the government spend billions in a futile attempt to stop the flow.

Pertaining to Obama care, the French, Swiss and Brita have some of the best healthcare systems in the world, I would have studied the top ten with empasis on the bigger countries and built a healthcare system that works for all.
Obama's team claimed they studied other nations, given the horrendous rollout and implemrotation of Obama care I highly doubt that.

I wonder how much Clinton spent. The money could have been spent building a grassroots movement.
US healthcare is a catastrophe.

stew

Bernie Saunders hit the nail on the head when he said he current generation are the least bigoted and non racist in the history of the country, that gives me hope for the future.

If nothing else I hope that both parties realise that they need to come to the centre and work together, Obama and the GOP did nothing but get in each other's road!

screenexile

So after all that we're not going to "lock her up"

Another flip flop to go with countless before and countless other to follow!!

heganboy

so strange things happen every day, and seafoid I agree with a number of your points.

78 sowed the seeds, and thatcher in 79 with reagan to follow were the seeds whose bounty we reap today.

Few things I disagree with though, Palley- just in general, his own neo or post keynesian economic theory, doesn't hold up to inspection IMHO. no thought given to the macro-societal and micro-local factors in deriving utility used in models, and along with everyone else the traditional time miss. The single biggest issue with modern economists is the cherry picking of causes that promote the economist's standing in the academic and peer community. You now have the tools to model successfully, but the will to be possibly proved wrong is not there. Kevin Murphy at Booth is an exception and has put his money very successfully where his mouth is.

I would argue that the one way out of the current economic malaise for the US is:

1) a tax overhaul on capital gains, corporate profits, carried interest, profit earned abroad, loophole closing and a complete moratorium on political donations.  Overhaul of Charity, trust and educational for profit qualifications. huge GDP increase.
2) the rules for healthcare provision, education and benefits should be removed completely from the state and imposed and standardized at federal levels. adds to GDP
3) temporarily add to the debt. Impose a complete overhaul of the crumbling US infrastructure from transport, to communications and all else. self funding.
4) a new version of the GI bill, except instead of just military service, a national service for all work relating to above infrastructure projects, all employees FT, healthcare, free education, pension.self funding.
5) The US immigration system is broken, although it actually meets very closely the economic needs of the United States, the legal immigration system does not support it, and that impacts the immigration needs of the economy. adds to GDP

Blue collar jobs, white collar jobs, improved infrastructure, multiplier effect, education improvements, lower benefits costs, increased employment where most impacted. Domestic economy accelerated.

Chances of current politicians voting for this zero.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

J70

Interest rates in the US have been rock-bottom since before Obama even took over!

That's been part of the problem - they haven't been able to use interest rates to stimulate the economy because you can't go any lower than virtually zero.

And its all well and good to say you'd make government smaller, but how and which departments?

And how are you going to penalize those companies? There's already a repatriation tax. Are you going to slap tariffs on everything they make?

Just like that. Why didn't Obama think of that!

As with the previous shrink the government bit, what wasteful spending? How much duplication is there? How much bureaucracy is there that you can reduce? If you remove the multiple layers of oversight and approval, does the opportunity not increase for abuse of government funds and corruption?

Ok, drug legalization. There's an argument to be made for it, but is it really something that is going to impact the federal budget and debt?

OF course they studied other healthcare systems, but the public option was a non-starter from the very beginning. The right did so much crying and fear mongering over the modest changes brought in by Obamacare as it was (and they were GOP ideas, including the mandate, right up until 2008). How the hell do you think they would have reacted to Medicare For All, which many on the left advocated for? The whole tea party movement rose up in response to, first, the bailouts and measures to help underwater homeowners, and then was turbo-charged by the passing of Obamacare. Why do you think the GOP House "repealed" Obamacare 50 or 60 times?

I'm confused as to your opposition to Obamacare. Given your advocacy for the Swiss, British and French systems, you clearly have no problem with a health insurance mandate (the centrepiece of Obamacare) or publicly-funded healthcare.

Yes, the rollout was awful, but hardly unprecedented when it comes to computerizing a massive database system, across dozens of states, especially where government and personal security are in play. The problems since then come down to the GOP refusing to implement the rollout in a lot of states they control, and the failure of the penalty as a deterrent for ensuring younger, healthier individuals enroll.

Do you think the penalty for non-enrollment should be more severe?

Kickham csc

When you say McCain / Palin, you mean McCain, as Palin would have been sidelined after the election.

Regarding McCain, he wasn't a bad candidate and had shown numerous times that he was prepared to work across the aisle so America wouldn't have been that much different that it is now, Obamacare wouldn't be in-place, but he would had dealt with the auto industry and Banks the exact same way.

Regarding foreign policy, who knows, but he voting record regarding the military was exactly the same as Hilary's so there might not be much different between the two

But who knows

Kickham csc

Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2016, 11:12:54 AM
Alt right is bullshit. It's about maintaining a white majority
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/21/alt-right-conference-richard-spencer-white-nationalists

The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum expressed alarm on Monday over "hateful speech" at a white nationalist meeting over the weekend, and a restaurant apologized for hosting the group after a woman tweeted a picture of herself making a Nazi salute.    The National Policy Institute, a think tank that is part of the alt-right movement that includes neo-Nazis, white supremacists and anti-Semites, held a gathering at the federally owned Ronald Reagan Building on Saturday.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/u-s-election-2016/1.754493

The GOP is the immigration party. It drives wages down and means higher corporate profits. See Eamonn's chart.

It's going to be Bannon vs the GOP.
There is no way to please the poor voters, the rich funders and the Nazis at the same time.

The coalition will tear itself apart.

And the swing voters who voted for Trump might be happy,  if it tears the whole rotten machine down with it forcing America to hit a reset button and reset its priorities

J70

Quote from: screenexile on November 22, 2016, 03:00:23 PM

He was never going to pursue that. At least not if he was in any way pragmatic.

Doing so would set a serious precedent and break with tradition. Something he or his party colleagues could fall victim to himself in a few years.

J70

Quote from: Kickham csc on November 22, 2016, 03:24:16 PM

When you say McCain / Palin, you mean McCain, as Palin would have been sidelined after the election.

Regarding McCain, he wasn't a bad candidate and had shown numerous times that he was prepared to work across the aisle so America wouldn't have been that much different that it is now, Obamacare wouldn't be in-place, but he would had dealt with the auto industry and Banks the exact same way.

Regarding foreign policy, who knows, but he voting record regarding the military was exactly the same as Hilary's so there might not be much different between the two

But who knows

I think you're right that McCain would have gone back to his true instincts of compromise and pragmatism in some areas had he won, but he would have had to throw some bones to the Palin crew in terms of appointments and policy, probably in terms of environmental and energy issues. McCain is still a conservative after all. Would he taken the actions Obama did to speed up gay marriage and so on? Doubtful, although that was probably coming to a head anyway. And for all the whinging and fingers pointed at Obama for BLM and police shootings, that stuff was coming too, no matter who was in charge, as it was driven by technology, NOT anything coming from Washington. Foreign policy-wise, who knows? There could be US troops in Syria, if McCain (or Romney) had won. I'm pretty sure McCain would have been in Libya and all the other stuff Obama did in response to the Arab Spring. Would he have followed the Status of Forces agreement in Iraq like Obama did? Given earlier rhetoric, he might not have pursued the Iran deal, but again, that's just speculation. Being in actual position of authority and criticizing from the sidelines are two totally different things.

As for healthcare, I guess McCain could have left it unaddressed, under the excuse that the economic collapse demanded the country's attention instead. Immigration, he was badly bitten under Bush, and I doubt if he would have risked the ire of the right again by trying to address it.

J70

Quote from: Kickham csc on November 22, 2016, 03:27:40 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2016, 11:12:54 AM
Alt right is bullshit. It's about maintaining a white majority
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/21/alt-right-conference-richard-spencer-white-nationalists

The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum expressed alarm on Monday over "hateful speech" at a white nationalist meeting over the weekend, and a restaurant apologized for hosting the group after a woman tweeted a picture of herself making a Nazi salute.    The National Policy Institute, a think tank that is part of the alt-right movement that includes neo-Nazis, white supremacists and anti-Semites, held a gathering at the federally owned Ronald Reagan Building on Saturday.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/u-s-election-2016/1.754493

The GOP is the immigration party. It drives wages down and means higher corporate profits. See Eamonn's chart.

It's going to be Bannon vs the GOP.
There is no way to please the poor voters, the rich funders and the Nazis at the same time.

The coalition will tear itself apart.

And the swing voters who voted for Trump might be happy,  if it tears the whole rotten machine down with it forcing America to hit a reset button and reset its priorities

So what are these desired, rethought out priorities?

stew

Quote from: J70 on November 22, 2016, 03:29:58 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 22, 2016, 03:00:23 PM

He was never going to pursue that. At least not if he was in any way pragmatic.

Doing so would set a serious precedent and break with tradition. Something he or his party colleagues could fall victim to himself in a few years.

Correct J70.