The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: stew on November 09, 2016, 01:08:13 PM
She was a disaster in every post she ever held, that beat her!

She was a hateful, spiteful bitch, that got her beaten!

She was the establishment, that got her beaten.

Did I,mention she is a hateful ****? That got her her beaten.

Can you list all her posts without looking them up? All the ones you claim she was a disaster in?

Lybia and Syria are two good examples of her was lingering, will those do?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 09, 2016, 01:13:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2016, 12:23:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 09, 2016, 12:02:07 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2016, 11:26:34 AM
The people who are humping it 60 hours a week, with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half are feeling pretty good this morning.  Working people have legitimate anger and spoke with their vote yesterday

And how is their vote going to change things?

BTW, plenty of "working people" voted Dem.

People had legitimate grievances and they were poopooed as fascists,misogynists, islamophobes or homophobes by the main stream media if they dared question Hillarys fitness to serve.

I think that's a key point (as it was in Brexit) - the grievances people have (in Wales/northern England/the rust belt) are real and the "establishment" did absolutely nothing to address them. So when someone came along who said they would address these grievances (albeit in fascist, racist terms which imo will do little to resolve the actual problems), the people voted for them.

This is the problem in a nutshell.

You can't fix stupid.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2016, 12:55:02 PM
I don't know.

Hillary was a flawed, dishonest and dislikeable candidate who got parachuted into the nomination by crooks.  The first candidate in history to get a nomination nation while under an active FBI investigation.  Joe Biden or Bernie would have beaten Trump by 10 points

Trump is estimated to be currently involved in around 3,500 lawsuits.

Clinton is gone now. The faux outrage over her emails won.

Now you are left with the consequences.
Biden would have been a better choice. Clinton was not seen as trustworthy . Too much baggage. Insincere.
But now the GOP have to fix stuff. And they are all over the place.
They do not have the people to make it work. The Tea Party purged all the reasonable people.

stew

Quote from: joemamas on November 09, 2016, 01:16:59 PM
Muppet do you ever come up for air.

The amount of know all BS you were spouting on here over the past few months based on your real life experiences in the US  (a golf vacation you took) was unreal.

Why don't you move on to the Italian referendum in December. I am sure you eat Pizza at some point, that undoubtedly makes you an expert on all things Italian.

The man self glossed himself right, Muppet indeed. )

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 01:09:21 PM
I don't think enough Americans would have voted for Sanders. Don't get me wrong, he would be the closest person to my way of thinking in American politics.

But this rise of overt anti-immigration feeling suggests to me that they would still have gone for Trump.
If the Dems had gone for Sanders the GOP side would have put up Bloomberg to neutralise him
I think it is a pyrrhic victory for the GOP

stew

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 01:20:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 01:09:21 PM
I don't think enough Americans would have voted for Sanders. Don't get me wrong, he would be the closest person to my way of thinking in American politics.

But this rise of overt anti-immigration feeling suggests to me that they would still have gone for Trump.
If the Dems had gone for Sanders the GOP side would have put up Bloomberg to neutralise him
I think it is a pyrrhic victory for the GOP

Its not though, he is not a Republican President.

muppet

The amount of know all BS you were spouting on here over the past few months based on your real life experiences in the US  (a golf vacation you took) was unreal.

Why don't you move on to the Italian referendum in December. I am sure you eat Pizza at some point, that undoubtedly makes you an expert on all things Italian.

I never took a golf vacation, nor ever said I took a golf vacation in the US. So who is 'spouting BS'?

I said once, as an aside, that I played a round of golf in the US. I was working there at the time. This seems to be incredibly offensive to yourself and FoxCommander for some reason.

Tell me, are we to just read posts from you insulting those you disagree with or do you have any arguments of your own?
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 01:17:59 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 09, 2016, 01:13:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2016, 12:23:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 09, 2016, 12:02:07 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2016, 11:26:34 AM
The people who are humping it 60 hours a week, with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half are feeling pretty good this morning.  Working people have legitimate anger and spoke with their vote yesterday

And how is their vote going to change things?

BTW, plenty of "working people" voted Dem.

People had legitimate grievances and they were poopooed as fascists,misogynists, islamophobes or homophobes by the main stream media if they dared question Hillarys fitness to serve.

I think that's a key point (as it was in Brexit) - the grievances people have (in Wales/northern England/the rust belt) are real and the "establishment" did absolutely nothing to address them. So when someone came along who said they would address these grievances (albeit in fascist, racist terms which imo will do little to resolve the actual problems), the people voted for them.

This is the problem in a nutshell.

You can't fix stupid.

This is why I think Sanders would have romped it.  Hillary said she'd sort these things out, but because they were able to paint her as a corrupt liar and in the pocket of big business, nobody believed it.  She was too establishment.  Trump got the considerable 'f you' vote in the hope that he'd actually do what he said.  The thing is, Sanders would also have been a 'f you' to the establishment and I think it, along with the fact that he came across as a decent man, would have swung it for him.   The dems shit in their own nest here.

muppet

Quote from: stew on November 09, 2016, 01:19:22 PM

The man self glossed himself right, Muppet indeed. )

You hid when I pointed out your embarrassing misreading of what I said.
MWWSI 2017

easytiger95

The "real" grievances that a large proportion of the Trump vote had and have, are rooted in a longing for an economic system that no longer exists, dismantled in large part by the Republican policies of miniscule government and repeal of the New Deal over the past 40 years.

As someone mentioned earlier, the grieving for the loss of manufacture jobs will not in anyway bring them back or roll back the tide of automation. Highly ironic the support for Trump in Michigan, given the flak Obama took from Republicans for bailing out the auto industry. Mencken's quote comes to mind.

Trump has been elected with all the tools to govern, but on an economic platform that is almost diametrically opposed to traditional Republican policy. The infrastructure spending he advocated this morning has long been blocked by Republican congress people, the tearing up of trade deals is anathema to GOP donors, and a trade war with China will be giving right wing economists heart attacks.

So what happens if he doesn't deliver? Does he hold up his hands or does he blame the "others" in society? We all know the answer. Whitey, his use of scapegoats during the campaign such as Mexicans, Muslims, the handicapped, women - it was racist, misogynist, bigoted - and to point that out is merely to acknowledge reality. How that is taken by people in the Rust Belt who supported those statements is up to them - but their "feelings" shouldn't Trump reality. However, the false equivalency of the media meant that those statements were given the same import as the use of an email server that, despite two FBI investigations, yielded no indictments.

As for MSM not covering the Trump constituency correctly - well, both before the debates began, when Hillary's post-convention bump was dissipating, and after the Comey letter, when Trump's figures rose - I saw various items and articles on MSNBC, CNN, ABC, the NYT, and the Washington Post all covering the "forgotten men and women" of White America. I would pose the opposite point - that this election is a direct result of pandering to their concerns above all others, because no other constituency or their leader would ever have been allowed get away with the rhetoric that they employed during this campaign.

So, once again, as a world we are at the mercy of an election we could not vote in.

At a glance, my top concerns would be

1. Economic - the markets are going to tank, and though that is not Trumps fault per se, I think the odds of the world slipping back into Recession are very high for early next year.
2. Climate change - the world cannot afford four years of climate denial at the heart of the American administration. If Trump rips up the accord with China, Florida may not be such a factor in future elections - unless voting with a scuba tank is allowed.
3. Security - unless America stands firm on its commitments to NATO, the "green men" will soon be seen in the Baltic countryside. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania all shed blood to throw off the yoke of the Soviets - unless the Pax Americana holds, they will be shedding more.

To all who live in the US, whether you supported Trump or Hillary, good luck to you - I think it is going to be a cold place for immigrants now, and I'm sure, like a lot of us, you know people who may be there illegally. I hope it works out for them and for you.

But as I was walking in to work, in central Dublin this morning, all I could hear from people as I passed by, was discussion of this election. I've never seen such interest and consternation at an American election. The world is a scarier place this morning - you guys are in the front line, and I hope things don't go as bad as logic tells me it will. (although logic took a battering last night)

leenie

. knackered , that's the last time I stay up all night only for a shite ending
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Tony Baloney

Quote from: leenie on November 09, 2016, 01:40:16 PM
. knackered , that's the last time I stay up all night only for a shite ending
Still talking about the election?  ;)

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 01:24:21 PM

I never took a golf vacation, nor ever said I took a golf vacation in the US. So who is 'spouting BS'?

I said once, as an aside, that I played a round of golf in the US. I was working there at the time. This seems to be incredibly offensive to yourself and FoxCommander for some reason.

Tell me, are we to just read posts from you insulting those you disagree with or do you have any arguments of your own?

Muppet - maybe take the hint that you're not as all-knowing as you think and just shut up a bit more with your crackpot theories.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Milltown Row2

I wonder will the Scots claim him?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 09, 2016, 01:28:03 PM

3. Security - unless America stands firm on its commitments to NATO, the "green men" will soon be seen in the Baltic countryside. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania all shed blood to throw off the yoke of the Soviets - unless the Pax Americana holds, they will be shedding more.

Agree. I'd advise people to google " Suwalki gap". We might be hearing more about it.
Ps, don't worry it's safe for work, not some Russian wan...