The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on October 16, 2016, 03:24:06 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 16, 2016, 02:17:51 PM
Why is it okay to speculate about him (Trump) taking drugs?

I suggested a prescribed medication.....Howard Dean suggested and named an illegal substance...cocaine......pot...kettle.
At least nobody dies when he takes drugs
It's a pity Tony Blair didn't get the media attention Trump does before he took over

Trump and Hillary are both a fvckin disgrace, but at least she's sane whereas I question his sanity

seafoid

https://twitter.com/kellyoxford/status/786268010398961664

Apparently it's up to 40 million women who have reported sexual assaults. Unbelievable.
Only  28% of blue collar GOP women say Trump is a good role model for kids.
The GOP would usually win 60% of Suburban white female votes. Now Clinton will.

Poor Trumpety Trump got a dose of the J. K. Galbraiths

"The conventional wisdom"gives way not so much to new ideas as to "the massive onslaught of circumstances with which it cannot contend".

Mayoffs

In my opinion this is going to get even nastier before election day. Looks like Trump is employing a scorched earth policy, going to try and play his ultimate bully tactic in the face of defeat, trying to stir up the far right into a frenzy with his delusional and dangerous comments on vote rigging. The cops are going to have a job on their hands come election time, all the anti government, gun slinging, militant nuts will be out in force.
Hopefully it will have a peaceful end, but whatever happens, the post election period will be very interesting. I think the Hillary presidency could be a short one, she's just so divisive, even amongst Democrats. Long term, I predict the beginning of a new political map in the US comprising of a new far right party with maybe Trump leading in the beginning. The GOP to the right lead by Paul Ryan, maybe even reinventing themselves slightly to pull in some disillusioned centre ground Democrats, who I think will have a new leader, maybe Kaine.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

seafoid

Quote from: Mayoffs on October 17, 2016, 01:19:53 AM
In my opinion this is going to get even nastier before election day. Looks like Trump is employing a scorched earth policy, going to try and play his ultimate bully tactic in the face of defeat, trying to stir up the far right into a frenzy with his delusional and dangerous comments on vote rigging. The cops are going to have a job on their hands come election time, all the anti government, gun slinging, militant nuts will be out in force.
Hopefully it will have a peaceful end, but whatever happens, the post election period will be very interesting. I think the Hillary presidency could be a short one, she's just so divisive, even amongst Democrats. Long term, I predict the beginning of a new political map in the US comprising of a new far right party with maybe Trump leading in the beginning. The GOP to the right lead by Paul Ryan, maybe even reinventing themselves slightly to pull in some disillusioned centre ground Democrats, who I think will have a new leader, maybe Kaine.
The post election period will be very volatile. Trump is odious but he speaks on behalf of a community that has been abandoned. There is a lot of bad blood on both sides. Every time Clinton attacks blue collar whites with words like deplorables she is digging a bigger hole for herself as President. The GOP is collapsing which also makes things interesting.

J70

How have Trump supporters been "abandoned"?

According to research done back in the spring, the median household income for Trump supporters exceeded those of Clinton and Sanders supporters.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

Which makes one wonder in what way they've been abandoned?

Is it that the bitter, white male, railing against increasing diversity and brainwashed by decades of GOP/right wing media rhetoric, is pissed off because his paranoid, perceived persecution complex outlook is losing influence in an evolving society?

Well boo-f**king-hoo.

J70

Quote from: whitey on October 16, 2016, 01:13:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 16, 2016, 11:16:36 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 16, 2016, 01:15:55 AM
Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2016, 11:52:02 PM
Haven't reached the bottom yet... now Clinton is on drugs and they need drug tests before the debate on Wednesday. :o ;D

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/15/as-campaign-implodes-donald-trump-says-hillary-clinton-is-on-drugs.html

Spare me the faux outrage, Howard Dean publicly stated that Trump was probably on coke because he was sniffing at the first debate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/09/28/politics/howard-dean-donald-trump-cocaine/index.html

What outrage? This particular claim is amusing in a pathetic kind of way, a desperate man who knows no depths to which he won't descend. Something like this will win him no votes whatsoever, which suits me fine. I'm outraged about his fomenting potential unrest and violence with his dangerous, unsupported rhetoric about "rigged" elections.

As for Dean, he is not the candidate. And he did withdraw his accusation. You think Trump will do the same?

The Clintons have a track record of sending surrogates out to attack political opponents and this falls firmly into that camp

Deans "apology" wasnt much of an apology either (and this is according to left leaning Politico, not Fox News)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/howard-dean-apologizes-trump-cocaine-228959

"But Dean's apology fell short of a true expression of remorse for accusing the Republican presidential nominee over Twitter of using cocaine after Trump repeatedly sniffed during Monday's first presidential debate."

The reason (imho) Trump crazy statements dont cost him votes, is that the Clintons (or their surrogates) have typically said equally outrageous things

(And this is purely speculation on my behalf, but dont be surprised if Trump has paid operatives or spies inside the Clinton campaign....its very possible he knows something or found something out through a black ops operation.  Obviously shes not on illegal drugs, but would it be beyond the realm of possibilities that shes taking some sort of prescription medication to help her get through a gruelling 1 1/2 hour debate.? Could he pay the guy who collects the Clintons trash to drop if off somewhere it could be rifled through to find out what prescriptions shes on.  I have it on good authority that some Wall Street guys paid private investigators to tail Spitzer 24/7 and thats how his use of prostitutes was uncovered)

Seriously, you're equating the rhetoric of the two campaigns?

The reason Trump's bullshit doesn't cost him votes is that the irrational hatred of Hillary Clinton completely blinds these people to how unsuited he is to the position. He is probably the most temperamentally ill-equipped person ever to run for the office on a major party ticket, and that is before you even get into the "content" of his demagogic campaign. She is a mainstream, competent, status quo choice whose candidacy is considerably weakened by her attempting, illegally, to side step FOIA requirements, no doubt motivated by decades of dealing with unrelenting GOP attacks, much of it completely baseless, but still responsible for the hatred towards her.

As for medicines, how many 69-70 year olds do you know who are NOT on some kind of prescriptions? I'll bet you Trump himself is, especially being a man of considerable girth. Although I'm not sure what legal prescriptions there are which would help you get through a debate or the daily grind of the election circuit?

whitey

https://www.intellihub.com/cnns-chris-cuomo-its-illegal-to-possess-the-wikileaks-documents/

Meanwhile CNN talking head Chris Cuomo, brother of NY Gov Andrew Cuomo (D) cautions civilians against accessing Wikileaks and suggests that instead we rely on them, the media, to decipher and interpret the leaks on our behalf. This coming from the Network that leaked debate questions directly  to the Cinton campaign.

And you wonder why people watch Fox News!

muppet

Fox News is like the speed of light.

It is impossible to be more biased than the former and to go faster than the latter.
MWWSI 2017

J70

I don't get why it would be illegal for viewers to "possess" those documents but not journalists? Just sounds dumb to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Also, the texts are widely published anyway, so I don't see how Cuomo is claiming that we need "interpretation" or "deciphering", presumably along the lines of priests interpreting scripture.

And come on Whitey, for every example like this from CNN you could stack up five examples of idiocy from Fox News!

screenexile

Very strange for wikileaks to be doing what they're doing? Looks like revenge against Clinton being Secretary of State at the time of the Manning affair.

Anyway it seems so strange now all the Republicans backing Wikileaks now after them all asking for it to be disbanded and for Assange to be arrested back in 2010. Even more strange that they are calling on hackers to do their own work for them in uncovering dirt to oust Clinton.

From what I've seen so far it's all pretty harmless stuff really with little else in it other than the mildly embarrassing... will we see something a bit more damning to her candidacy in the coming weeks? Time's running out!!

joemamas

Quote from: seafoid on October 17, 2016, 11:50:23 AM
Quote from: Mayoffs on October 17, 2016, 01:19:53 AM
The post election period will be very volatile. Trump is odious but he speaks on behalf of a community that has been abandoned. There is a lot of bad blood on both sides. Every time Clinton attacks blue collar whites with words like deplorables she is digging a bigger hole for herself as President. The GOP is collapsing which also makes things interesting.

The coverage of the election over here by the media is disgraceful and sickening.
I for one, will not be tuning into CNN or reading the NYT among others anytime soon after Hilary becomes president.
They should all take a collective shower after looking in the mirror at what they have pushed down the throats of the American public.

Some of the far right on Fox are similar, but in terms of the constant propaganda, it pales in comparison with all of the other channels put together.

As a parent of kids, I truly fear what the future will hold for them if we have eight more years like the last eight, and there is no reason to believe that it will be any different.
The well paying manufacturing jobs that propelled Americans into the middle class seem to be disappearing as industries such as Energy, Banking and Healthcare are becoming so highly regulated that these industries are retrenching and for each additional regulatory person they are compelled to hire, they lay off somebody else. That is fact.
Throw in higher taxation and stealth taxes, and at some point the wealthy or successful will just say FFit and stop spending and reinvesting. Highest tax rate eight years ago was 35.5% or thereabouts, which I would say was fair even a bit below what highest earners should pay. However now it has jumped to almost 44% including Obamacare tax. Throw in the stealth taxes such as medical co-pays that did not exist eight years ago. 
On topic I was at a wedding over the weekend stayed over , hotel  was $225 not outrageous, but there was an additional almost $30 in sales tax, I rarely pay that much attention to bills, that I looks at line items of taxes but it makes one shake their heads.

Finally J70, you appear smarter than anybody on this board, so a couple of points I believe in that I feel are worth pointing out;

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich,
you cannot lift a wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down,
you cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Last one may be over simplistic, as I truly believe that if someone who has worked all their life and loses their job in their 50's
should be taken care of, but when you have generational cases of entitlements , it becomes a very difficult cycle to break.

J70

Yes, nothing really damaging so far. 22 days left though.

And you're right screenexile. A lot of hypocrisy on display from the right (and I'm not saying for a second that it wouldn't be mirrored by the Dems had it happened the other way!).

The shoe will be on the other foot soon enough. What revelations would/will be forthcoming from email leaks of the RNC and the Trump campaign?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on October 17, 2016, 01:56:38 PM
I don't get why it would be illegal for viewers to "possess" those documents but not journalists? Just sounds dumb to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Also, the texts are widely published anyway, so I don't see how Cuomo is claiming that we need "interpretation" or "deciphering", presumably along the lines of priests interpreting scripture.

And come on Whitey, for every example like this from CNN you could stack up five examples of idiocy from Fox News!

Agreed, but the difference is that everyone knows what Fox News is and what their agenda is, whereas CNN is still presenting as an impartial arm of the main stream media

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2016, 01:59:20 PM
Very strange for wikileaks to be doing what they're doing? Looks like revenge against Clinton being Secretary of State at the time of the Manning affair.

Anyway it seems so strange now all the Republicans backing Wikileaks now after them all asking for it to be disbanded and for Assange to be arrested back in 2010. Even more strange that they are calling on hackers to do their own work for them in uncovering dirt to oust Clinton.

From what I've seen so far it's all pretty harmless stuff really with little else in it other than the mildly embarrassing... will we see something a bit more damning to her candidacy in the coming weeks? Time's running out!!

Violating election law, pay for play with the Clinton Foundation, rigging the primary, rigging the debates.....nothing to see here folks.....move along

muppet

44% tax is not destroying the rich. That is a completely hysterical claim.

As for the hotel room tax. That works out at at 13.3%. We just moved our down to 9%. In London I believe there is a full VAT charge of 20%. So again 13.3% is hardly outrageous.
MWWSI 2017