The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Gmac on September 27, 2016, 02:57:45 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 27, 2016, 02:29:05 AM
Quote from: Gmac on September 26, 2016, 11:58:18 PM
an hour and a half under the bright lights be interesting to see how Hillary holds up.

Is this a health conspiracy thing?
she had pneumonia 2 weeks ago ? No

I had walking pneumonia myself last year. After a few days I was fine. She's been back in the campaign on a couple of weeks. I'm sure she will get through it handy enough.

tyssam5

Gabriel_Hurl

seafoid

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 27, 2016, 01:16:36 AM
Quote from: heganboy on August 04, 2016, 05:05:18 PM
one of the issues that most people face when looking at the coverage of the US elections is that what they see is actually just that  - coverage. It is the media and their friends and colleagues talking about the race and what is happening. the more outrageous the coverage the more papers are sold, the more viewers for the show, the more page impressions and higher ad revenue.

To combat this and to look at facts I'm going to suggest you take a look at fivethirtyeight.com Nate Silver is regarded (yup- opinion again) as one of the best statisticians around. Take a look at his wikipedia page to see how successful he has been in the past. The short version is that in 2008 and 2012 he called the state race accurately in 49 out of 50 and then 50 out of 50.

The models he use has Hillary at the most likely win since polling started, at 91.6%
Silvers models are quantitative analytics and factor in a lot of external dependencies, but not news or opinion.
The site is treated as an academic paper and references are included so you can see where the data is being sourced.

At this point there is a one in 12 shot that Hilary will not be the first female president of the Unites States. with the only states in play really being Arizona and Georgia.

However the big question for the republicans at this point in the process is what to do about the Donald. To stew's point is he really a Republican? Can the candidates for election from the GOP take the calculated gamble to come out against him?

if Hilary wins the Dems need 4 more seats in the senate to own it (in a 50-50 vote the Vp casts the deciding vote) Can the GOP hold those seats?

There is an opinion piece here
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-may-start-dragging-gop-senate-candidates-down-with-him/
which looks at the polling data and suggests (again an opinion not a fact) that it will require a new pattern in american voting for the Republicans to hold on to many of these seats, which is ticket splitting. Usually in the US the voters pick the party of the presidential candidate they prefer and vote for that party the whole way down the ticket. if that pattern continues, the GOP could be in serious trouble.

Down to 55 - 45 % at the minute, with my other fav predictor the bookies, Trump is not <2-1

Lot of deplorables out there.
The GOP are worried that Trump will lose and take a lot of GOP candidates with him

mrdeeds

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

screenexile

Hillary wiped the floor with him last night by any account you read other than Sean Hannity...

You ok stew??  :'( :'( :'(

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

whitey

Clinton won the debate but didn't deliver a knockout blow

All to play for

Franko

Quote from: whitey on September 27, 2016, 12:57:35 PM

All to play for

Unfortunately for humanity, you are right.  But, like Tony Fearon, I think it would be impossible to deliver a knockout blow on Trump.  His supporters are completely averse to rational thought.

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on September 27, 2016, 01:43:45 PM

All to play for

Unfortunately for humanity, you are right.  But, like Tony Fearon, I think it would be impossible to deliver a knockout blow on Trump.  His supporters are completely averse to rational thought.
A lot of people do not trust her. She won't be able to draw out the black vote like Obama. I think she is a poor candidate. Trump will clean up in the rust belt.

stew

All to play for

Wheras Clinton's fawning minnions have no morals nor ethics and are fine with a serial liar and war criminal at the helm, both are awful but only one of them should be in prison and it ain't Trump.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

screenexile

Quote from: stew on September 27, 2016, 02:36:15 PM

All to play for

Wheras Clinton's fawning minnions have no morals nor ethics and are fine with a serial liar and war criminal at the helm, both are awful but only one of them should be in prison and it ain't Trump.

Oh good you've finally found the evidence that the FBI, 33 Congressional Hearings and 10 Congressional Committees haven't been able to find that prove she's a criminal?

Check your facts as well Clinton has told less lies over the campaign than the bold Donaldo!

Seriously lad you need to chill out and for god's sake change the f**king record!!!