The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2016, 10:10:22 PM
This one is two months old, but it states that strongest predictor of being a Trump supporter is lack of a college education.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/who-are-donald-trumps-supporters-really/471714/

However, Trump could also be starting to pull in other groups now that the field is small and his likelihood of winning increases. Apparently Reagan was hitting 80% in the primaries towards the end in 1980.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/live-blog-exit-poll-analysis-tuesday-s-primaries-n562541

"In the Connecticut Republican primary, Trump overwhelmed his rivals in the New York City suburbs. He captured the support of nearly six out of 10 Republicans in this region, despite it being home to some of the nation's best-educated and wealthiest voters"

At the start he was getting the majority of non college educated voters, but he was getting plenty of others too. Cruz is a wack job so anyone who's in any way informed won't vote for him in a million years.

Kasich is probably the best candidate, but like Romney people thinks he won't  take out the brass knuckles necessary to defeat the Clintons dirty tricks so he's toast

As unpalatable as Trump is, many Republicans figure he can't be much worse than Obama (or Hillary for that manner)

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on April 29, 2016, 12:36:50 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2016, 10:10:22 PM
This one is two months old, but it states that strongest predictor of being a Trump supporter is lack of a college education.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/who-are-donald-trumps-supporters-really/471714/

However, Trump could also be starting to pull in other groups now that the field is small and his likelihood of winning increases. Apparently Reagan was hitting 80% in the primaries towards the end in 1980.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/live-blog-exit-poll-analysis-tuesday-s-primaries-n562541

"In the Connecticut Republican primary, Trump overwhelmed his rivals in the New York City suburbs. He captured the support of nearly six out of 10 Republicans in this region, despite it being home to some of the nation's best-educated and wealthiest voters"

At the start he was getting the majority of non college educated voters, but he was getting plenty of others too. Cruz is a wack job so anyone who's in any way informed won't vote for him in a million years.

Kasich is probably the best candidate, but like Romney people thinks he won't  take out the brass knuckles necessary to defeat the Clintons dirty tricks so he's toast

As unpalatable as Trump is, many Republicans figure he can't be much worse than Obama (or Hillary for that manner)
Kasich has the best chance of attracting non GOP voters and beating Cllnton but the base will not vote for him . The GOP is trina cheile .
Seriously divided party.

omaghjoe

Disturbances at an anti Trump rally tonight in Socal.

Would imagine there will be more of these in California so could be a common theme here as half the population is Mexican.

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 29, 2016, 08:16:04 AM

Would imagine there will be more of these in California so could be a common theme here as half the population is Mexican.

See, now that's the kind of rhetoric the Trump campaign spouts out and preys upon. A quick google can reveal the true demographics. Hispanics make up up anwhere from 32-37% of the population, with only 25% (of the total, not of the Hispanic proportion) being "Mexican" as you say (they're really Mexican-American). So you only overstated the population of "Mexicans" by 100%. Well done.

J70

Seems everyone across the board feels Cruz is a complete tosser, personally.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2016, 03:35:00 PM
Seems everyone across the board feels Cruz is a complete t**ser, personally.

I know nothing about him, but when senior members of the GOP are willing to throw the only realistic obstacle to Trump under the bus, it speaks volumes.
MWWSI 2017

J70

According to this Politico article, its been a feature of his entire life, but he especially embraces it to endear himself to the tea party crowd.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/why-ted-cruz-loves-to-be-hated-213859

seafoid

He was a major mover behind the shutdown in 2013. He is an evangelical fundi. He shares a lot of Trump's foreign policy notions. He thinks there is a huge fundi Christian bloc to take him over the winning line out there. There isn't.

The GOP is tearing itself apart. I haven't enjoyed a news story as much since the collapse of the news of the world.

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on April 29, 2016, 07:18:08 PM
He was a major mover behind the shutdown in 2013. He is an evangelical fundi. He shares a lot of Trump's foreign policy notions. He thinks there is a huge fundi Christian bloc to take him over the winning line out there. There isn't.

The GOP is tearing itself apart. I haven't enjoyed a news story as much since the collapse of the news of the world.
sounds like your sitting in some room with msnbc cnn and Al Jazeera on 3 tvs and getting Twitter updates from jake tapper Rachel maddow and wolf blitzer

seafoid

Quote from: Gmac on April 29, 2016, 07:43:45 PM

sounds like your sitting in some room with msnbc cnn and Al Jazeera on 3 tvs and getting Twitter updates from jake tapper Rachel maddow and wolf blitzer
nybooks.com has the best analysis I think

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on April 29, 2016, 08:27:32 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 29, 2016, 08:16:04 AM

See, now that's the kind of rhetoric the Trump campaign spouts out and preys upon. A quick google can reveal the true demographics. Hispanics make up up anwhere from 32-37% of the population, with only 25% (of the total, not of the Hispanic proportion) being "Mexican" as you say (they're really Mexican-American). So you only overstated the population of "Mexicans" by 100%. Well done.

Gallsman, I have to say that comment came across as properly sanctimonious but I understand that my comment may have come across the wrong way so lets get a few things straight.

I did not use the term "half" as in a strict mathematical fraction, I used it as in "a good amount." I thought that this would be glaringly obvious but things do get taken up the wrong way sometimes when they are written down and read by another. I am also well aware racial/ ethnic demographics in California. California is a majority minority state. Although I would say that there is a likelihood to turn into majority Hispanic in the coming years.

I also used the term "Mexican" in the vernacular way its used here, and its used to apply to all people of Hispanic descent, as most are. There are tons of terms here for racial/ethnic profiling that are contradictory, overlapping and dont tie in with the bureaucratic term. For example I would not be considered "white" but a "European". If someone was referring to someone as "Irish" they would normally be referring to an Irish American.

Also I was in no way trying to portray it a slight on Mexicans about there being trouble. When that level of spite has been incited against people, there just will be.

whitey

Lol-if you think Hillary is going to steamroll over Trump you may be in for a very rude awakening

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/24_opt_out_of_a_clinton_trump_race

Ita nowhere near the blowout many are predicting

omaghjoe

Cruz does seem like a right dick alright

I have to catch myself sometimes tho from being pleased when he beats Trump.

His policies could well be even more crazy than Trumps, although he is more likely to stick to them than Trump is to his. Trump has even said he wouldnt stick to his policies if elected

On the other hand Broehner actually seems like a right chap that was scapegoated and vilified by the "liberals" and the tea party but that is politics I suppose. Tho if he had strong armed the teabaggers the GOP would likely be in a better  state than it is now