The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 04:26:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 03:53:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
Apoplectic rage, or bemused non-comprehension and worry that anyone actually likes this guy?

By the way, what is a liberal? I wouldn't class myself as overly liberal at all, but I think this guy is a prize gobshite, and if he becomes president of the US, I officially revoke my status as a Yankophile.

I would define liberal as being tolerant, non judgemental, non dictatorial. A live and let live attitude. An example would be someone who would have no problem with abortion or homosexuality. On the other hand you have the intolerant person who would be anti abortion or homosexuality. People who would try and silence or shout down these people could be considered illiberal liberals or hypocrites. If you're tolerant you would respect someone's right to say what they think even if u don't necessarily agree with them. If you are ok with say abortion but try and silence someone with a different opinion to yourself then you have become the person you have set out to silence.

Having a "live and let live" attitude does not mean that its hypocritical to be angered by or opposed to someone who does not believe in living and let live. That's the same as the "your intolerance of my intolerance means you're intolerant too" fallacy. Or "you're a bigot because you don't like my bigotry".

And yes, of course even the demogogues like Trump should be free to say what they want. But that doesn't mean they should be protected from responses, angry or not, to what they say.

No one is trying to get the government to shut down Trump or censor him or his supporters. He has full rights to unimpeded free speech, same as those who oppose him.

Live and let live J.

I do.

I'm not among the people supporting the politicians and demogogues who want to legislate bigotry and scapegoating. Opposing them is part of living and let live too. You can't just turn a blind eye to it.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
Apoplectic rage, or bemused non-comprehension and worry that anyone actually likes this guy?

By the way, what is a liberal? I wouldn't class myself as overly liberal at all, but I think this guy is a prize gobshite, and if he becomes president of the US, I officially revoke my status as a Yankophile.
a liberal would be a slightly righter version of a European social democrat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

stew

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
If there is to be a saviour or knight in shining armour, Paul Ryan will be the man.

Aye right.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on April 01, 2016, 05:44:52 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
If there is to be a saviour or knight in shining armour, Paul Ryan will be the man.

Aye right.

You don't think so?

Then who?

bennydorano

I doubt a true Liberal exists as everyone has their line in the sand that makes them conservative on something - and all lines in the sand are subjective. Maybe Hippies are the only true Liberals left?

The Iceman

I don't really see anyone who lives the "live and let live" motto.

Live and let live only applies to those who have the same belief system..... lots of democrat/liberals here have no toleraance for republicans and vice versa.... but sometimes the response is surprising.... live and let live eh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeOkybuCXX0
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2016, 06:06:58 PM

Live and let live only applies to those who have the same belief system..... lots of democrat/liberals here have no toleraance for republicans and vice versa.... but sometimes the response is surprising.... live and let live eh....

What does the video prove?

One moron (actions AND words) went after him with his skateboard. Everyone else supposedly gave him the finger or said Trump was racist (not a completely baseless concern to raise).

However, even his own words demonstrate the ridiculousness of his "experiment" and the ludicrousness of his using to support his claim that Sanders supporters are more violent (assuming his edits even reflect the average response he received): He is obviously filming in an urban area which is heavily Democratic. All the middle fingers going to thumbs up, which he speaks about, surely reflect that.

Let's see him hold up the Bernie or Hillary signs in some southern white area or some white working class manufacturing town in the northeast.

The idiot with the skateboard aside (assuming he's actually a real person and not an actor), he's exercising his free speech rights, everyone else is doing the same. There's no one NOT allowing him to have his views.

Live and let live does NOT mean not having one's views and opinions remain free from challenge. And it doesn't mean standing idly by while people who oppose live and let live try to elect, govern and legislate against the principal.

mikehunt

I wouldn't expect someone who thinks fighting is a sport would believe in a live and live concept.  The prevailing attitude would be shut up or I'll bate ya.

stew

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 06:38:45 PM

it proves that

One moron (actions AND words) went after him with his skateboard. Everyone else supposedly gave him the finger or said Trump was racist (not a completely baseless concern to raise).

However, even his own words demonstrate the ridiculousness of his "experiment" and the ludicrousness of his using to support his claim that Sanders supporters are more violent (assuming his edits even reflect the average response he received): He is obviously filming in an urban area which is heavily Democratic. All the middle fingers going to thumbs up, which he speaks about, surely reflect that.

Let's see him hold up the Bernie or Hillary signs in some southern white area or some white working class manufacturing town in the northeast.

The idiot with the skateboard aside (assuming he's actually a real person and not an actor), he's exercising his free speech rights, everyone else is doing the same. There's no one NOT allowing him to have his views.

Live and let live does NOT mean not having one's views and opinions remain free from challenge. And it doesn't mean standing idly by while people who oppose live and let live try to elect, govern and legislate against the principal.

It proves that in this small sample size that liberals have less manners than republicans, it shows that there is plenty of ignorance to the left and in essence it epitomises the state of the USA in that it shows people on both sides of the political spectrum are capable of ignorance and stupidity.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on April 01, 2016, 06:50:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 06:38:45 PM

it proves that

It proves that in this small sample size that liberals have less manners than republicans, it shows that there is plenty of ignorance to the left and in essence it epitomises the state of the USA in that it shows people on both sides of the political spectrum are capable of ignorance and stupidity.

It doesn't prove anything stew. I didn't see a single person there for whom there was any evidence that they were a conservative. We saw a bunch of people carrying Bernie signs. We saw a few people talk to or shout at the guy when they supposedly took offense. We saw one woman identify herself as a Hillary supporter. We saw one guy go after him with a skateboard (assuming he wasn't a plant to illustrate the "point"). So overall, we saw lots of people supposedly react (sometimes poorly) when presented with a person loudly sporting a sign supporting a controversial political candidate who these people purportedly oppose.

BUT... we didn't see a single conservative interact with him during the 20 seconds of the video where he carried the Bernie sign.

"Experiment" this was not!

So, no, you can't say ANYTHING about the relative manners of liberals and Republicans based on that video.

In general, yes of course there is plenty of ignorance and stupidity to go around.

But there is one candidate far above all others in trying to exploit that. Christ, you've commented yourself numerous times on your distaste for Trump and your skepticism about his beliefs and rhetoric.

heganboy

Can i get steer on what you're going for with the "illeberal liberals" term?

Yup I know the date.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

The Iceman

I don't believe in live and let live. I just find it funny that it is something you oftentimes get in response to a challenge on thinking "just live and let live"
I'm challenging that it doesn't exist that much if at all amoung the politically minded......

If a republican challenges liberal thinking on gay marriage  - live and let live man,,,,
If a republican says vote for trump - they get a coffee thrown at them (its in the video) and they're told to "feel the burn" (they have a sense of humour i'll give them that ha)

I prefer the old song live and let die.... axl rose version
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

I hate this term liberal to describe people that are considered to the left of the political spectrum in America. I understand a liberal in politics is someone who believes in personal freedoms.
So at that rate of going considering the gun lovers, anti federal government crowd, not to mention the libertarians there is just as many Republican liberals as Democrat.

Progressive is a much more accurate term for those who its applied to in America

While Im at it there aren't many real conservatives in American politics either of the Fine Gael/Christian Democrat type, as Trump has exposed

The Iceman

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 01, 2016, 09:16:33 PM
I hate this term liberal to describe people that are considered to the left of the political spectrum in America. I understand a liberal in politics is someone who believes in personal freedoms.
So at that rate of going considering the gun lovers, anti federal government crowd, not to mention the libertarians there is just as many Republican liberals as Democrat.

Progressive is a much more accurate term for those who its applied to in America

While Im at it there aren't many real conservatives in American politics either of the Fine Gael/Christian Democrat type, as Trump has exposed
I hate the term progressive as it suggests their views are somehow better and those of the other side are wrong...

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2016, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 01, 2016, 09:16:33 PM

I hate the term progressive as it suggests their views are somehow better and those of the other side are wrong...
But equally the same could be said about the term conservative and indeed the opposite could be said of "liberal"