Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on December 31, 2014, 03:56:19 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 30, 2014, 09:58:58 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 30, 2014, 07:42:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 30, 2014, 06:42:38 PM
Really? Even in the Eric Garner case?

Asthma, heart disease, and obesity were cited as contributing factors in his death. He was resisting arrest at the time which created the situation with the police.

But some folk think a blind eye should have been turned to his illegal activities.

Does any police officer think they'll kill a guy by restraining them? No. If they had tasered him the police would have been accused of needless brutality. You can't win.

Maybe the cops can politely ask all criminals to present themselves at their local station as to stop any more incidents.

Have you actually watched the video?

The illegal activities were selling loose smokes. Well worth putting someone in a chokehold and pressing his head into the pavement for, huh?

The word is illegal.

Was he breaking the law? Yes or no?
Did he resist arrest? Yes or no?

Have you ever jaywalked? Drove over the speed limit? Sold a match or concert ticket? Bought something on Amazon and not paid the tax?

That's the level of law breaking Eric Garner was involved in. Worth a ticket at most.

And the resisting arrest amounted to waving his hands and telling them to leave him alone.

Menace to society he was!

Eamonnca1

The word is illegal.

It is sad that he had to die in these circumstances.

Had to die, eh? Quite right. Should have thought about that before selling loose cigarettes. (Christ! Is that an offence?) Nothing else for it but summary execution. Sure killing these boys on sight will keep the courts cleared of inconvenient trials and this "due process" charade.

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on December 31, 2014, 04:08:19 AM

Have you ever jaywalked? Drove over the speed limit? Sold a match or concert ticket? Bought something on Amazon and not paid the tax?

That's the level of law breaking Eric Garner was involved in. Worth a ticket at most.

And the resisting arrest amounted to waving his hands and telling them to leave him alone.

Relevant to that moment in time is that he was breaking the law. Now I don't know if this was the very first time he sold stuff on the streets or whether he was a serial offender but if he was known to police then maybe he already had a few warnings.

If he was goading the police to leave him alone while he was undertaking this venture then you won't expect favourable treatment surely? If the police don't arrest him then it would appear that they condone such behavior and then it's open season. Can you let things slide like that? That's how you create no-go areas.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 31, 2014, 05:56:55 AM
The word is illegal.

It is sad that he had to die in these circumstances.

Had to die, eh? Quite right. Should have thought about that before selling loose cigarettes. (Christ! Is that an offence?) Nothing else for it but summary execution. Sure killing these boys on sight will keep the courts cleared of inconvenient trials and this "due process" charade.

Not what I said but go ahead and twist my words.

Eamonnca1

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on December 31, 2014, 06:04:51 AM

Relevant to that moment in time is that he was breaking the law. Now I don't know if this was the very first time he sold stuff on the streets or whether he was a serial offender but if he was known to police then maybe he already had a few warnings.

If he was goading the police to leave him alone while he was undertaking this venture then you won't expect favourable treatment surely? If the police don't arrest him then it would appear that they condone such behavior and then it's open season. Can you let things slide like that? That's how you create no-go areas.

That's what tickets are for. Common sense has to come into it, and these cops demonstrated none. There was no threat to the public here. Any idiot should know that "tackling" a large, obese man like that is asking for trouble. There are limits to how far police can go in apprehending people. Choking and pushing a man's head into the pavement over loose cigarettes is just insane.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 31, 2014, 02:23:13 PM

That's what tickets are for. Common sense has to come into it, and these cops demonstrated none. There was no threat to the public here. Any idiot should know that "tackling" a large, obese man like that is asking for trouble. There are limits to how far police can go in apprehending people. Choking and pushing a man's head into the pavement over loose cigarettes is just insane.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/nyregion/author-of-broken-windows-policing-defends-his-theory.html?_r=0

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 31, 2014, 03:11:16 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/nyregion/author-of-broken-windows-policing-defends-his-theory.html?_r=0

Ok... Not sure if you're arguing for, against or agreeing with my post based on that article!

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on December 31, 2014, 05:55:13 PM

Ok... Not sure if you're arguing for, against or agreeing with my post based on that article!

The sentiment is that if you allow smaller crimes to happen under your watch you'll see bigger ones emerging.
Zero tolerance is the only way to go.

Most graffiti works are eyesores but I suppose it encourages those types to try and spell things correctly.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on December 31, 2014, 06:22:24 PM

The sentiment is that if you allow smaller crimes to happen under your watch you'll see bigger ones emerging.

Most graffiti works are eyesores but I suppose it encourages those types to try and spell things correctly.

You might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb?
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2014, 06:31:07 PM

What would you suggest as a deterrent?

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on December 31, 2014, 06:36:14 PM

I dunno.

Maybe a court system, based on innocent until proven guilty or something like that. You'd hardly go for it though.

For serial re-offenders I'd have no problem with a number of strikes and you are out type system. I.E 3 (or whatever) major crimes and you stay in jail. But only administered through the courts and none of this crazy justice administered on the streets.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2014, 06:57:25 PM

I dunno.

Maybe a court system, based on innocent until proven guilty or something like that. You'd hardly go for it though.

For serial re-offenders I'd have no problem with a number of strikes and you are out type system. I.E 3 (or whatever) major crimes and you stay in jail. But only administered through the courts and none of this crazy justice administered on the streets.

You're right, I wouldn't go for it.Courts take too long and expensive, especially for the minor items.

But the number of strikes could work if administered correctly but i'm sure there will be those who would try circumvent this also.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on December 31, 2014, 07:05:00 PM

I dunno.

You're right, I wouldn't go for it.Courts take too long and expensive, especially for the minor items.

But the number of strikes could work if administered correctly but i'm sure there will be those who would try circumvent this also.

Have you ever thought of running for office?

You would get lots of vote, maybe under a shoot the homeless banner or something.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2014, 07:10:39 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 31, 2014, 07:05:00 PM

I dunno.

Have you ever thought of running for office?

You would get lots of vote, maybe under a shoot the homeless banner or something.

You know, that isn't such a bad idea....
Next GE might be a bit too soon though.