The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: stew on November 07, 2012, 03:44:22 PM
I have known him for years you numpty, he fecking means it, 16 years to be exact, how long have you known him???

There is an eejit from louth that lives in town, he is cut from the same cloth, hasnt worked in a year, the last two jobs he got I got them for him and he sits on his hole all day and gets money from the Government, I asked him what was going on and he told me that why should he work when he can live on what the Govt gives him? he has $400.00 in his 401K and he is over 50 years old, who the fack do you think he votes for?????

Dont lecture me on being gullible, you dont know enough to know fcuk all!

I don't know fcuk all? Why would his money be dependent on Obama and/or the Democrats being in power? If he's been at it for 16 years then he got it through all the Republican-dominated years as well. And if a man is surviving on his 401(k) of $400 (!) then good luck to him, it's his money!

seafoid

Quote from: stew on November 07, 2012, 03:44:22 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2012, 03:39:01 PM
Quote from: stew on November 07, 2012, 03:19:56 PM
I play in a pool league on Tuesdays and one of my team-mates was creaming himself because "Obama is going to give me money for four more years"

And you took him at his word. Did you hear they've removed 'gullible' from the dictionary?

I have known him for years you numpty, he fecking means it, 16 years to be exact, how long have you known him???

There is an eejit from louth that lives in town, he is cut from the same cloth, hasnt worked in a year, the last two jobs he got I got them for him and he sits on his hole all day and gets money from the Government, I asked him what was going on and he told me that why should he work when he can live on what the Govt gives him? he has $400.00 in his 401K and he is over 50 years old, who the fack do you think he votes for?????

Dont lecture me on being gullible, you dont know enough to know fcuk all!
Stew

How much would someone unemployed in your neck of the woods get in food stamps per month ?

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2012, 03:51:41 PM
Stew

How much would someone unemployed in your neck of the woods get in food stamps per month ?

No doubt enough to be able to drive a Cadillac.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2012, 03:58:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2012, 03:51:41 PM
Stew

No doubt enough to be able to drive a Cadillac.
Presumably it would run on ethanol

AZOffaly

That's interesting alright. Not much changes except time. I'm sure the states in question would be horrified at the implication.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2012, 04:25:39 PM
The map of who won what state

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/presidential-election/results/maps/2012-us-election-results-map.jpg

That can't be right, says Obama won Mississippi. Politico says Romney won that state by 55% to Obama's 43%.

AZOffaly

Did Obama not win Virginia? He was certainly on track to do so. And yes, Romney won Mississippi.

deiseach

I've being thinking about it, and while I instinctively can't stand tales of welfare queens and the need to draw broad social implications from anecdotes, I don't have any reason to doubt stew's account. The nuances of the American welfare system are probably a mystery to most Americans, and I certainly don't have a chance. So I'd like to apologize to stew for my snide comments. It won't happen again. Well, not until the next time I lose my rag anyway.

ludermor

Quote from: glens abu on November 07, 2012, 09:30:02 AM
Quote from: stew on November 07, 2012, 07:07:56 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 06, 2012, 11:21:22 PM
I think we still see Obama there in the morning, couldn't do much with America economy, dont think anyone could. I wonder do Americans remember that Clinton left America in very good economic terms, hand over to republicans, fire in an odd war or two, and the economy went down the pan. Its abit like over here, Enda gets it in the neck but the reality is no matter who is in power we fucked, as we over st-recthing ourselves past 10yrs and now the Huns have us by the balls!!

I hope Mr Obama grabs the opportunity America has given him and leads the country with excellence and greatness.

I hope the Republicans have the integrity to work with the president, not against him and that compromise can be reached and solutions found to fix the ills that pervade the American economy.

Good luck president Obama, I wish you well and hope that you can reach your stated objectives, this is the greatest of countries and I hope you achieve all of your stated goals and all you aspire to achieve for the US of A.

At killing others :o
Didnt think you would have a problem with that?

thejuice

So.......this fiscal cliff thingy.

What's going to be done?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on November 07, 2012, 06:30:37 PM
So.......this fiscal cliff thingy.

What's going to be done?
at 1 minute to midnight the Republicans will give in.
S&P will put the US on negative watch
the world will wonder WTF is going on

gallsman

Anyone been listening to The Last Word this week? Matt Cooper has been on all week and has had some excellent guests. Consensus today was that in order to re-shape and move fully into the 21st century, the Republicans have to ditch the extreme right, ditch the evangelists and build around people like Rubio and Bobby Jindal to appeal to non-traditional Republican voters? Will they be able to go for that much of a shift in four year?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2012, 03:37:42 PM

He was the only one anywhere near "moderate" left this time last year,  I thought.
Who would have done better ?

Bloomberg? Guliani?* Huntsman?*

*I know they didn't survive the primaries, but that's because the received wisdom was that you had to tack to the right in the primaries to please the mad hatters, a strategy that is now thoroughly discredited.  If the party ditches the extremists then people like this might have a better chance next time around.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: gallsman on November 07, 2012, 06:45:09 PM
Anyone been listening to The Last Word this week? Matt Cooper has been on all week and has had some excellent guests. Consensus today was that in order to re-shape and move fully into the 21st century, the Republicans have to ditch the extreme right, ditch the evangelists and build around people like Rubio and Bobby Jindal to appeal to non-traditional Republican voters? Will they be able to go for that much of a shift in four year?

Don't know much about Rubio but I don't see what Jindal has going for him other than being non-white.  As Herman Cain showed, it's not enough to be black, you also have to be able to show that you're not as thick as two short planks.  Jindal strikes me as another of the anti-science "ignorance is wisdom, education is snobbery" crowd.

You never know.  Maybe someone will emerge in the next year or two who'll pull the GOP back to the centre.