The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

But Stew do you not see that you blast other people for calling spades spades. It's all perception. You think you are right on everything and everyone else thinks you are wrong - but you "tell it like it is".
I live in a community where your attitude is prevalent amount hard core republicans. Maybe you have been out here too long. One of the advantages I always though of being Irish in America is you could see through some of these things but you have lapped it up and dish it out with the best of the Americans now....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

dec

Quote from: stew on September 05, 2012, 08:51:10 PM
Quote from: dec on September 05, 2012, 08:26:49 PM
QuoteYou also seem to not care that many of these people do not pay taxes, just like decco1 why is that?

Where did I say that I don't care that many of these people do not pay taxes? I simply mentioned that employers also get away with paying less because they employ illegal workers. And that set you off on a rant.

Obviously you don't care that employers pay less, in many cases pay no employment taxes and get away with a host of other employment law violations because they employ people illegally.

Yet you failed to mention the workers themselves, I believe them to be equally culpuble, both should be paying their way and to be honest I think the guy that employs them should be fined for taking advantage of them and should have to pay their ticket home and processing fees to come back, Al Capone and all that!

And up until this post you have failed to mention the employers, your venting has been entirely about the employees. The reason so many risk coming to the US is because they know that employers are willing to break the law by employing them.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stew on September 05, 2012, 08:48:15 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 05, 2012, 07:08:48 PM

Nice chart, it means shit all and has a nice screaming liberal taste to it but I am sure it is accurate <b>given the source</b>.

What, the non partisan Congressional Budget Office? The one that Michelle Bachman once denounced as a liberal biased source before pulling out her own graph taken from the CBO?

The classic conservative shoot-the-messenger defence. Fox News has you well trained.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stew on September 05, 2012, 08:53:47 PM

eamon, your last name is not McCarthy by any chance?????

I see a conspiracy everywhere eamon, is that it just under the screen of me computer screen????

I call a spade a spade, I am no racist and <b>i resent being called one by an ill informed git who presumes to know me.</b>

:'( Oh play me the world's smallest violin.

Seems to me like you think you have the right to "call a spade a spade" but when someone else does it and calls you out then you can't hold back the tears.

If you can't take it don't give it.

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 05, 2012, 09:22:24 PM
Quote from: stew on September 05, 2012, 08:53:47 PM

eamon, your last name is not McCarthy by any chance?????

I see a conspiracy everywhere eamon, is that it just under the screen of me computer screen????

I call a spade a spade, I am no racist and <b>i resent being called one by an ill informed git who presumes to know me.</b>

:'( Oh play me the world's smallest violin.

Seems to me like you think you have the right to "call a spade a spade" but when someone else does it and calls you out then you can't hold back the tears.

If you can't take it don't give it.

I didn't play the race card, you did!

I am also not a republican, I have republican leanings but have the ability to know that sometimes the right way to go is with the party with the best idea's, unlike you I can think in more than one dimension, for example "Democrats good, Republicans bad", simplistic tosh eamon.

You and I have nothing in common and would not like each other in life, fair enough, but if you think liberals are the be all and end all you are dumber than I gave you credit for, to me there is not a whole pile of difference between the two parties at this stage, hence my wish for a third party!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Could someone define the apparently pejorative term "liberal" in the context of this conversation? And what's the "screaming" bit about?

Eamonnca1

One party thinks it's okay to discriminate against people because they're gay, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that government is nothing but a drain on society, the other doesn't.

One party thinks it's okay to get government into the bedroom and to stop women from making decisions about their own bodies, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that the path to prosperity is to cut the tax bill for billionaires and hope the wealth trickles down, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that a particular flavor of religion should be rammed down everyone else's throats, establishment clause be damned, and the other doesn't.

One party thinks that diplomacy and cooperating with other nations is a better way to solve international problems than going in unilaterally with all guns blazing and asking questions later, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that anthropogenic global warming is real (as confirmed by science), the other doesn't.

One party thinks that the earth is a naturally occurring entity over millions of years old (as confirmed by science), the other doesn't.

Anybody who thinks there's no difference between Republicans and Democrats is talking through his hat.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on September 05, 2012, 10:31:35 PM
Could someone define the apparently pejorative term "liberal" in the context of this conversation?

According to Stew and the rest of the Fox Newsiverse, it's anyone to the left of Genghis Khan.

stew

Quote from: The Iceman on September 05, 2012, 09:08:18 PM
But Stew do you not see that you blast other people for calling spades spades. It's all perception. You think you are right on everything and everyone else thinks you are wrong - but you "tell it like it is".
I live in a community where your attitude is prevalent amount hard core republicans. Maybe you have been out here too long. One of the advantages I always though of being Irish in America is you could see through some of these things but you have lapped it up and dish it out with the best of the Americans now....

I don't, this site is choc full of democrats who never, and I mean never think that the republicans are right on anything, there is so much bias it is unreal.

I came over here a democrat, I became appalled at the unions that were so corrupt they were like gangsters and in fact were gangsters (teamsters)

I know there are great Democrats, Clinton being one of them, riddle me this, when was the last time a liberal gave credit to ANY conservative on this site? it never happened.

I want everyone to pay their fair share, that includes me, my family and every business owner and worker in America, the dems don't, the republicans don't, they protect the rich, the liberals want the middle class and the rich to pay for everything, i want the system to be fair to all, it's not and wont be no matter who governs this country for the next four years because all four candidates for the top two jobs are shite at what they do, complete and utter shite, we are fcuked until this country finds another Clinton who can balance the budget and implement sensible social policies that are cost effective and available to those who need them, it can be done, but not under obamacare!

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 05, 2012, 10:32:32 PM
One party thinks it's okay to discriminate against people because they're gay, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that government is nothing but a drain on society, the other doesn't.

One party thinks it's okay to get government into the bedroom and to stop women from making decisions about their own bodies, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that the path to prosperity is to cut the tax bill for billionaires and hope the wealth trickles down, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that a particular flavor of religion should be rammed down everyone else's throats, establishment clause be damned, and the other doesn't.

One party thinks that diplomacy and cooperating with other nations is a better way to solve international problems than going in unilaterally with all guns blazing and asking questions later, the other doesn't.

One party thinks that anthropogenic global warming is real (as confirmed by science), the other doesn't.

One party thinks that the earth is a naturally occurring entity over millions of years old (as confirmed by science), the other doesn't.

Anybody who thinks there's no difference between Republicans and Democrats is talking through his hat.

Ah the man who decided to become an athiest at a relatives funeral speaketh. Maybe when the next relative coups you will change your fleeting mind back again!

The parties are far too close for comfort, the yanks need a third option.

Do babies in the wombs of these women have the right to life in your world? eamon, are you for killing babies?

Global warming is a curse and yes, conservatives in their millions acknowledge this.

The world is billions of years old, science is mad made and therefore flawed and oh, a day for the lord is like a thousand years.

This conservative thinks the rich should be taxed far more than they are now, can you agree with the conservatives on one issue or are you too far gone? methinks the latter cub!

stew

In related news................ :)
Democrats have changed their convention platform to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The move came after criticism from Republicans.

Many in the audience booed after the convention chairman, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, ruled that the amendments had been approved despite the fact that a large group of delegates objected.

He called for a vote three times before ruling.

The party reinstated language from the 2008 platform that said "we need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

The platform also now includes what advisers said was Obama's personal views on Jerusalem.

___what convictions the mighty democrats have...........ah well, they are getting used to being bossed around by the republicans already. ;)

wee eamon, take a redner. ;D

stew

Democracy at it's finest................... Is he president Barak Hussein Obama or Dictator Obama? you decide!

Needled by Mitt Romney and other Republicans, Democrats hurriedly rewrote their convention platform Wednesday to add a mention of God and declare Jerusalem the capital of Israel after President Barack Obama intervened to order the changes.

The embarrassing reversal was compounded by chaos and uncertainty on the convention floor. Three times Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, the convention chairman, called for a voice vote on the changes and each time the yes and no votes seemed to balance each other out. On the third attempt, Villaraigosa ruled the amendments were approved — triggering boos from many in the audience.

The episode exposed tensions on Israel within the party, put Democrats on the defensive and created a public relations spectacle as Obama arrived in the convention city to claim his party's nomination for a second term.

"There was no discussion. We didn't even see it coming. We were blindsided by it," said Noor Ul-Hasan, a Muslim delegate from Salt Lake City, who questioned whether the convention had enough of a quorum to even amend the platform.

"The majority spoke last night," said Angela Urrea, a delegate from Roy, Utah. "We shouldn't be declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel."

The language in the platform — a political document — does not affect actual U.S. policy toward Israel. The administration has long said that determining Jerusalem's status is an issue that should be decided in peace talks by Israelis and Palestinians.

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the powerful pro-Israel lobbying group, welcomed the support of Democrats and Republicans alike on Israel. "Together, these party platforms reflect strong bipartisan support for the US-Israel relationship," AIPAC said.

Obama intervened directly to get the language changed both on Jerusalem and to reinstate God in the platform, according to campaign officials who insisted on anonymity to describe behind-the-scenes party negotiations. They said Obama's reaction to the omission of God from the platform was to wonder why it was removed in the first place.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., the party chairman, said both the God and Jerusalem omissions were "essentially a technical oversight." She insisted in a CNN interview there had been no discord on the floor and said the vote definitely met the two-thirds threshold.

The revisions came as Obama struggles to win support from white working-class voters, many of whom have strong religious beliefs, and as Republicans try to woo Jewish voters and contributors away from the Democratic Party. Republicans claimed the platform omissions suggested Obama was weak in his defense of Israel and out of touch with mainstream Americans.

GOP officials argued that not taking a position on Jerusalem's status in the party platform raised questions about Obama's support for the Mideast ally. Romney said omitting God "suggests a party that is increasingly out of touch with the mainstream of the American people."

"I think this party is veering further and further away into an extreme wing that Americans don't recognize," Romney said.

Added to the Democratic platform was a declaration that Jerusalem "is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths."

That language was included in the platform four years ago when Obama ran for his first term, but was left out when Democrats on Tuesday approved their 2012 platform, which referred only to the nation's "unshakable commitment to Israel's security."

Also restored from the 2008 platform was language calling for a government that "gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

For decades, Republican and Democratic administrations alike have said it is up to the Israelis and Palestinians to settle Jerusalem's final status — a position reiterated earlier Wednesday by the White House. Both sides claim Jerusalem as their capital, and the city's status has long been among the thorniest issues in Mideast peace talks.

The U.S. has its embassy in Tel Aviv, although numerous Republicans — including Mitt Romney — have vowed to move the embassy to Jerusalem.

During his 2008 campaign, Obama referred to Jerusalem as Israel's capital in a speech to AIPAC. But as official policy, his administration has repeatedly maintained that Jerusalem's status is an issue that Israelis and Palestinians should decide in peace talks. The platform flub gave Republicans an opening to revive their attacks on Obama's support for Israel just as Democrats were hoping to bask in the glow of first lady Michelle Obama's Tuesday speech and gin up excitement for her husband, who will accept his party's nomination for a second term on Thursday.

But restoring the language did not placate Republicans, who used it to suggest that Obama's party is now more supportive than he is of the Jewish state.

"Now is the time for President Obama to state in unequivocal terms whether or not he believes Jerusalem is Israel's capital," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

Republicans declared Jerusalem the capital of Israel in the platform the party approved last week at its convention in Tampa, Fla. GOP platforms in 2004 and 2008 also called Jerusalem the capital.

___

Lederman reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Steve Peoples in Utah, Bradley Klapper in Washington, and Ken Thomas, Ben Feller and Matthew Daly in Charlotte contributed.
@yahoonews on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
Explore Related Content
1 - 4

were have you all gone boys...................................... you beloved democrats are scurrying like the rats they are...................... well done Team Romney, ye have them scurrying and gutting each other.  ;D

stew

I'd say some of ye on here would be a wavering in their support after reading about Obama's about face on God and Israel..........................eamon must be dunging the togs at this stage. :D

It gotten very quiet on this thread, hmm, yesterday you couldnt turn around without someone giving me shite, today nobody has anything to say, such conviction from the looney left. :P

trileacman

Would you two stop talking shite, claiming your better than the other one, you're clogging up the board with your bollix chatting.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

stew

Quote from: trileacman on September 06, 2012, 09:35:54 PM
Would you two stop talking shite, claiming your better than the other one, you're clogging up the board with your bollix chatting.

Nobody claimed they were better than anyone else, if you dont like it feck away off to something else.