Late luggage claim

Started by ludermor, March 18, 2009, 02:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Folks looking for a bit of advice here,
Had a bit of a disastrous week last. We had booked a skiing trip to livigno leaving on saturday
We arranged the trip with Directski and flew out of Belfast on a Jet2 flight. When we landed in Brescia there was no sign of our bags ( all 3 of us). Anyway we headed to the resort and got accommodation etc. The rep gave 2 of us spare ski pants and generally was very good for the whole week. We had to buy some new gear ( jackets and pants , tops etc). 2 of the bags showed up on Monday evening but the other bag didn't show up till Friday evening ( and we were leaving early Saturday morning) This was the girls bag and she had to buy a lot of stuff to get her through the week - clothes and make up
So we just want to know where we stand given the following details
only 1 of us had travel insurance ( and this was one of the bags returned Monday)
All the bookings were made on credit card.
The last bag landed in Italy (verona) on the Tuesday but didn't get tot the resort until the Friday.
What is the best way to get some sort of recovery? Directski are washing their hands saying it is the airport service people fault, then the airline fault. Can we just claim of the credit card insurance? What about different claims for the credit card and the travel insurance?
Cheers

illdecide

Blow the airline up...or get someone from Craigavon to do it for you...only messin

Contact Directski and see what the craic is first of all. if they are not willing to help you then contact the airline and see what they say...you're bound to get some sort of reimbursement...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rois

I didn't think you still got travel insurance with credit cards - I could be wrong.

Can't believe you went on a ski trip without insurance though :o

gerrykeegan

Second that Rois, would not go up a button lift without the Insurance  in order... look at Natasha Richardson
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ludermor

Yep 2 of the party did not have travel insurance ( they have health insurance though)
I was onto the insurance company and they will just pay 50 euro per day ( so that would be just 150 max for me, not worth a f**k!!)
We are just looking at all options so all help appreciated!

Hardy

This is Canadian based, but should cover the basics. There's a lot more if you google "what to do when your luggage is late".

ludermor

Cheers Hardy,
Everyone we talk to has some advice ( nearly all conflicting!!) eg go after the airline, go after the operator, go after the airport, but it all seems to be second hand info and nobody i have talked to has actually succeeded in getting some recovery from any of these parties.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rosnarun

Quote from: ludermor on March 18, 2009, 03:57:58 PM
Yep 2 of the party did not have travel insurance ( they have health insurance though)
I was onto the insurance company and they will just pay 50 euro per day ( so that would be just 150 max for me, not worth a f**k!!)

how much are you down? . after all you got all your stuff back if im reading correctly. pain in the hole but no major financial loss which is all insurance companies will cover.
on a related point and im not saying that this is the way surely all your claims should be with the travel company as they are the only people that you have a contract with . and they should deal with the airline  airports service companies etc,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebigfella

Quote from: ludermor on March 18, 2009, 03:57:58 PM

Can I just ask what are you expecting? Surely you read the underwriting of the policy when you purchased it?

I thought the 150 is just to cover the extra expense you had for the 3 days, a few items of clothes, toiletries ect..., as you now have the bag returned? If the bag was lost it would have been different and you could have claimed for all the lost items and bag.

I would hassle the airline to be honest, I had theft from my bag after checking it in at Heathrow and BMI covered it. Took a while to get mind due to them initially trying to fob me off with not having insurance.

rage

Check the small print on your CC policy.  I worked for American Express in Sydney for a while and i know you are automatically covered for travel inconvenience which includes lost or delayed luggage when you book a flight on your card.  I would assume other CC companies would offer similar deals. You will need to provide receipts etc for any purchases made and will need someothign from the airline to prove that your luggage was misplaced.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Quote from: rosnarun on March 18, 2009, 11:37:52 PM
how much are you down? . after all you got all your stuff back if im reading correctly. pain in the hole but no major financial loss which is all insurance companies will cover.
on a related point and im not saying that this is the way surely all your claims should be with the travel company as they are the only people that you have a contract with . and they should deal with the airline  airports service companies etc,
Yeah Ros got all the stuff back but it was gone for 2 days for 2 of us and the whole holiday for the other one, skiing holidays are not th ebest places to be if you cant ski so you have a choice to get new gear or sit around doing nothing. On the sunday they couldnt tell us where the bags were and even on the monday the 2 bags showed there was no sign of the other. 150 would get you much skiing gear in a resort, the place was all labels!

Quote from: thebigfella on March 18, 2009, 11:57:20 PM

Can I just ask what are you expecting? Surely you read the underwriting of the policy when you purchased it?

I thought the 150 is just to cover the extra expense you had for the 3 days, a few items of clothes, toiletries ect..., as you now have the bag returned? If the bag was lost it would have been different and you could have claimed for all the lost items and bag.

I would hassle the airline to be honest, I had theft from my bag after checking it in at Heathrow and BMI covered it. Took a while to get mind due to them initially trying to fob me off with not having insurance.
Im just trying to educate myself, and if i can get recovery then great, as i said 150 would get you feck all in a resort, have you tried to get even a jacket in these places? Its not like bulgaria where you could pick up a jacket for 40-50 yoyo. Like i said you can do f**k all in a ski town unless you are up the mountain.

Cheers Rage we are looking into the card option.

Muppet thanks for the links