Professional and amateur stauts within the GAA...my final question..

Started by vincentstereo, March 18, 2009, 02:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vincentstereo

Hello all,

I have now reached the end of my questions for my research surrounding the issue of professional and amateur status within the GAA.  I would like to thank everyone who has contributed in my questions to date and would appreciate any further views and opinions with my last entry.  This one being the key question and something that may raise a few interesting points.  Thank you all for your help.

-   Do GAA players receive any financial assistance or compensation for taking part in the sport?  And if so, do they still retain their amateur status or have they now moved on to become professional athletes?

mountainboii

Type the words 'grants' and 'gpa' into the search function of this site and there'll be dozens of threads on this topic.

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

vincentstereo

After following your threads and further research it is evident that there are grants being allocated to inter county players, as well as student scolorships. 

With these payments to players, does it mean that the amateur stauts of the game is now gone and the players are becoming professional atheltes???

dublinfella

Quote from: vincentstereo on March 25, 2009, 11:06:09 AM
After following your threads and further research it is evident that there are grants being allocated to inter county players, as well as student scolorships. 

With these payments to players, does it mean that the amateur stauts of the game is now gone and the players are becoming professional atheltes???

Yes.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: dublinfella on March 25, 2009, 11:22:27 AM

Yes.

Absolutely

stephenite

Of course it does - how well paid might be a matter for discussion. If the grants scheme is as far as it goes, well they'd hardly be professional really. I suspect it will end up going up a lot further, but the finance just isn't there to sustain Premiership soccer type professionalism. In my view there will be about 30 odd marquee players earning a very decent crust with the rest remaining in some type of alternative employment, with teaching being the preferred option, as is now, in order to take advantage of the holiday periods.

Maguire01

I suppose the use of the word 'becoming' is key here. At the minute, even with the grants, they're not professional athletes.
There's also a mid-way point of semi-professional. It's difficult to see a situation where the GAA could pay players to the level that the wouldn't require them to also hold regular employment.

dublinfella

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 25, 2009, 01:37:17 PM

I suppose the use of the word 'becoming' is key here. At the minute, even with the grants, they're not professional athletes.
There's also a mid-way point of semi-professional. It's difficult to see a situation where the GAA could pay players to the level that the wouldn't require them to also hold regular employment.

By that logic the bulk of the LoI and whole of the IL are amateur....

You get money to play a sport and the amount is contingent on how far you go in said tournament, you are a professional. The semi / full time pro argument is incidental.

Maguire01

Quote from: dublinfella on March 25, 2009, 01:44:41 PM
By that logic the bulk of the LoI and whole of the IL are amateur....

I wouldn't argue with you there!

Maguire01

Quote from: dublinfella on March 25, 2009, 01:44:41 PM
You get money to play a sport and the amount is contingent on how far you go in said tournament, you are a professional. The semi / full time pro argument is incidental.
It's not. If this is looking for information for research, i'm sure the poster who started the thread will consider the grey as well as the 'black and white'.

vincentstereo

so it is your belief that because the players are receiving these grants they constitute to professional athletes?

This being a very interesting point, but if one were to argue that players are receiving remuneration so that they are not 'out of pocket' and the money they receive through grants is to cover their expenses, eg mileage? 

Nonetheless, if they receive money, they are professionals...???...

dublinfella

Quote from: vincentstereo on March 25, 2009, 02:10:46 PM

so it is your belief that because the players are receiving these grants they constitute to professional athletes?

This being a very interesting point, but if one were to argue that players are receiving remuneration so that they are not 'out of pocket' and the money they receive through grants is to cover their expenses, eg mileage? 

Nonetheless, if they receive money, they are professionals...???...

I believe that these grants constitute professionalism (well, semi professionalism).

If they were expenses, they would be based on vouched claims. But they are getting a flat wage per week's participation in the championship.

Hound

There is such a thing as flat rate unvouched expenses. That is what the grants are most akin to.

All very well to get into pedantics about the meaning of professional and amateur. The key thing is the GAA do not pay their players.