Micheál

Started by muppet, March 17, 2009, 02:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Just watched 'Micheál' on TG4.

There aren't too many people instantly recognisable by only their first name(s) in this country, DJ, Jacko, Willie Joe & Jayo spring to mind but Micheál is one of them.

Good programme though, excellent stuff. He was commentating on the 2000 Hurling Final between Offaly and the Cats and it was a great insight to how he goes about his day's work. You could see how really in to the game he gets, raising the fist at good/important scores and you can see he undertands how to convey the ebb and flow better than anyone.

Of course there was the odd Micheál classic:

"Charlie Carter gets it, and Charlie puts it over the bar. An hour before the game in the dressing-room Charlie was more interested in how my greyhound got on in Shelbourne Park last night, than in the impending All-Ireland Final. Well I can tell you that Charlie is performing better than the dog did last night."
MWWSI 2017

Barney

A thorough gentleman and a legend.

God only knows what we'll be left with when he hangs up the mic.

Today is 60 years since his first commentary.

RedandGreenSniper

Have to admit Muppet I didn't know who precisely this thread was about until I opened it so not sure about the man being instantly recognisable by his first name, but that's more to do with the common nature of the name than any lack of legendary status I suppose. He's come out with gems over the years but I have to admit I can find him tedious over the course of a whole commentary. There, I've said it. Phew.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Maguire01

I would agree - i'd rather read what he said than listen to it.

Canalman

I assumed that it was about Mícheál Ó hEithir...... a real class act.

As for the other fella, I just can't stand him. A real overrated one trick pony........ only really liked imo by people with a passing interest in the game.
Would personally have greater time for the humblest Under 10 team mentor than a paid presenter who has somehow managed to garner this "mythical " status as a poster boy for a great organization.

Rant over.

muppet

Jebus the recession is worse than I though. People now hate the Simpsons and even Micheál.

Just wondering what commentator the non-believers above are partial to?

One trick pony? Would that trick be an unmatchable encylopediac knowledge of the Gaa players, their clubs and their various histories?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

I used to think he was good years ago but now I just think he s become a parody of himself. Certainly his best work was 20/30 years ago and of course that is understandable. He s well in his 70s now I reckon and if I ever reach his age I ll be gratefull to be able to piss and stand up at the same time.

I have nt  liked these 'proms' he does in Croke Park and never liked the bilingual bits.

But he did great stuff years ago. I used to have a radio recording of the 85 Mayo-Dub semi and it was a classic( the commentary I mean and the matches were nt bad eithe). No rehearsed lines that people annoyingly quote but real passion and excellent co commentary by Dermot Earley. As a kid I recall his commentary in a Munster hurling final when Richie Bennis hit a winning '70'. Obviously he was good then. Just have preferred if he had done the job like say Peter O Sullivan always did. Liked to have seen him on tv more as well with a good co commentator.

Was nt a fan of O Hehir either for the most part. Might as well been horse racing as football. Great voice but if was nt Dub/ Kerry or Cork/Kilkenny he was nt that interested. And he was the best at condescending to the annual volunteers for filleting from north and west. If a team were losing by more than 4 points he sounded bored.  

I know this will get chuckles but my favorite commentators have been Seán Bán, Liam Campbell, Mícheal Ó Sé and believe it or not Jim Carney. Mick Dunne was also a likable sort - and when we were kids easily copied( 'Oh, He just walked it in'). Dunne used to get especially animated about Laois/Offaly matches. Great gas.  Campbell and O Sé have great voices and just describe the action mostly. Carney for his part... oh I dunno and Seán Bán because he always sounds interested and not just entertaining. Oh Yeah. Jimmy McGee is the most underused class commentator in tv commentary history. I don t understand it. His infectious interest and ease makes likes of Canning and MM look wooden by comparison.  Jimmy s The teams are level in 'Omagh' or 'its five to three at four o clock' could never have been uttered by anybody else and sound right.His best Gaa bits are up there with 'Horst Hrubesch - the man they call the monster'.

Different class, different class.

amallon

The only problem I have with Micheál is when he slips in as gaelige mode.  I was listening to the Cross game yesterday in the car and it got a little frustrating with him flipping in and out of Irish randomly.  I think he should do the game in one language or the other, when I can understand what he is saying he is second to none. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

mouview

Undoubtedly a great match commentator, but a bit of a blatherer outside of games (his cousins have the same habit). Also he tends to give interviews in Irish as if he's preparing a Leaving Cert class for the mocks. His biggest crime is that he made a celebrity out of the total non-entity that is Sean O'Hailpin.

The GAA

This might not be the right thread to bring it up.... Was i on my own hiding behind a cushion at that cringefest on the pitch between the hurling and football finals yesterday? couldn't believe what i was looking at.

thebandit

Quote from: The GAA on March 18, 2009, 11:01:55 AM

This might not be the right thread to bring it up.... Was i on my own hiding behind a cushion at that cringefest on the pitch between the hurling and football finals yesterday? couldn't believe what i was looking at.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11603.0

johnpower

Quote from: muppet on March 17, 2009, 11:27:11 PM
Jebus the recession is worse than I though. People now hate the Simpsons and even Micheál.

One trick pony? Would that trick be an unmatchable encylopediac knowledge of the Gaa players, their clubs and their various histories?

You should try and listen to some of the buffoons that are on local radio stations all over the country .

IolarCoisCuain

Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh and Micheál Ó hEithir are great commentators for the very reason that the Moysider correctly identifies Jimmy Magee as a great commentator. The are excellent are bringing the real joy of the games down the wire and into the living room. Sounding "just entertaining" is harder than it sounds.

Moysider, in fairness to him, at least identifies whom he thinks is good, and he's quite right about Seán Bán. I heard Seán Bán on the Portumna game for a while it and it reminded me again of just how super he is. He'll be sixty years broadcasting come next month. Astonishing to think about.

I'm really looking forward to Maguire, Canalman and Red and Green Sniper's nominations of whom they consider a better commentator than Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh. Let's be having you boys.

screenexile

Quote from: johnpower on March 18, 2009, 09:53:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 17, 2009, 11:27:11 PM

You should try and listen to some of the buffoons that are on local radio stations all over the country .

Dear god has anyone ever listened to that Clampet on Highland radio... Michael McGee I think he's called and he's absolutely awful!

magpie seanie

Micheál was and still is an excellent commentator in my view. I hate hearing him being interviewed though. As someone rightly pointed out he blathers without saying very much and comes across as knowing very little about the games. Has he ever predicted an underdog to win a game? No - not stuff he should be doing. Stick to what you're best at and he is excellent at the commentary.

Speaking of idiot commentators on local radio there is no bigger spa that Kevin Blessing on Ocean FM. I know where I'd put the white flag up if I was near him....