St Patrick's Day parade in Lurgan Cancelled

Started by winsamsoon, March 17, 2009, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Due to the antics of our dissident friends and a threat made by Loyalists the parade has been cancelled in Lurgan town today. Police have apparently told all groups involved that they couldn't police the event or guarantee the safety of those involved. This parade happens every year and involves mostly children. All the gaelic clubs put together floats and they march from the chapel to St Peters were there is a gaelic tournament for all involved. It is essentially a family day with no politics involved whatsoever. I hope that all who are involved in gettng this event ruined are proud of themseles >:( >:( >:(
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

nrico2006

I went to it last year and it was a great occasion, I even think there was going to be hurling event run aswell today - is that still going ahead?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Things should get interesting later when the locals have had a skinful. In Lurgan that should be in about 15 minutes.

winsamsoon

Not sure about the hurling nrico.

Yes Tony it probably will kick of here later because the village idiots will be out all over the place.But sure they can do what they want whilst ordinary decent folk have to conceed everything

Our Nail Loney

Absolute joke that this event had to be cancelled due to these bigots, not fair on the children and the adults who work their asses off organising and looking forward to this all year round, is always a great spectacle.

Always remember loving the parades when I was a young'un.

Still would sit outside work watching them myself the odd time if we are not busy!

charlie stubbs

Orior

That parade in Downpatrick is an absolute joke. Everything except Ireland flags. Pathetic!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: Orior on March 17, 2009, 07:50:51 PM
That parade in Downpatrick is an absolute joke. Everything except Ireland flags. Pathetic!
What's wrong with it?

Orior

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2009, 08:41:48 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 17, 2009, 07:50:51 PM
What's wrong with it?

Its anaemic, bland, lacklustre, insipid, dull. FFS I'd rather go watch an Orange parade than that.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hereiam

I don't understand. This is a day to celebrate Ireland yet parades up here are the least Irish in the world. COME ON FOR FUCKS SAKE. Do people think if the followers of the twelve marches were told that no union jacks were allowed they would just do as they were told. The parade in omagh was the same hardly a tri colour to be seen. Are we a people afraid to show who we are in case we upset our neighbours. I fear for the north.

winsamsoon

Hereiam you are making the mistake of thinking that we live in a normal society :o, don't you know that ones identity must be oppressed for fear that it will destabilize the Fragile peace :D :D :D. We also live in a society that can be completely ruled by a bunch of thugs intent on nothing else only violence  or as they put it freeing Ireland. It is true lad identity is becoming a thing of the past. Certain sections of our society have no culture (unless it is writen on the under side of the harp tins) Society has become a place were youth no longer have respect for old people, Priests, parents but to name a few. They are only concerned with themselves andhow they can best screw the government and the ordinary person. So why then would they care about a flag. People who attend these marches for St Patrick regularly would have and should have no problem with a flag flying it is not a political statement. It is a celebration of Irish culture and heritage of which St Patrick and protestants are part. It is a day that is exclusive of all in society. In Lurgan a great day for the family had t be cancelled today because of the actions of a few scum bags but i fear this could be a reoccuring theme.