Ulster Club Championships

Started by hows she cutting, November 10, 2006, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Who won the Connacht Junior Final?
Testing Accessibility

David McKeown

I see 12 Players have received suspensions from The Ballymacnab V Stewarstown incident.  Any one any ideas why some bans were for nine months whereas others were only a month.  How exactly did they come up with those numbers?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Maximus Marillius

Took this from the BBC sport web site

Twelve players banned after brawl 

Fighting broke out after the semi-final at Casement Park
Twelve players have been suspended following the fighting which marred November's Ulster Club IFC semi-final between Ballymacnab and Stewartstown.
Four players have been handed massive 36-week bans after an ugly brawl broke out after the match at Casement Park.

The Ulster Council has also fined the clubs £1,675 but they were allowed to stay in the competition and will replay the game which ended in a draw.

Seven Ballymacnab received suspensions along with five from Stewartstown.

Derry champions Coleraine have already qualified for the final.

The Ballymacnab players were - Philip McCone, Dwayne McParland 36 weeks; Stephen Kennedy 12 weeks; Christopher Kennedy, Paul Kennedy, Damien McGeown and Gary McKee eight weeks.

Stewartstown - Anton Coyle, Tony Donnelly 36 weeks; Barry Bleeks 24 weeks; Ryan Small eight weeks and Rory O'Neill four weeks.

Guillem2

36 weeks is a big ban. It must have been bad.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

never kickt a ball

Going by most rows it wasn't that bad. It just got caught on camera and was shown by BBC. That meant people were able to be identified etc and the next day "handbags" declaration was made unworkable.

clarshack

think we are better off than ballymacnab for the replay. we didnt lose any first team players (no's 18, 20, 23 & 24) while they lost their no's 3, 6, 8 & 11. nine months is a massive suspension though for any player.

thewobbler

I find it hard to believe that when a full-scale riot kicks off, all the major perpretators on one side could be players, and all the major perpetrators on the other side could be substitutes. I'd sense an objection coming in on those grounds.

Norf Tyrone

I think Wobbler that the altercation happened after the game entering the tunnel.
Stewartstown's 15 had remained on the pitch to warm down, hence why the differance.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

umgolaarmagh

I wasnt at the game but the major issue for the Ulster Council is how easily the crowd became involved in the melee. The teams shouldnt have to worry about abuse and the threat of violence from the crowd when leaving the field of play.

realredhandfan

Boys it happens at Casement more than most.  There seems to be a problem there.

David McKeown

I was standing quite close to the incident when it happened and I have to say there are a few players on both sides who are lucky to escape suspensions.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Maximus Marillius

It must be something to do with the positioning of the subs. When a game is over the players have to go pass the subs.  If the game has been thorny or an incident has happened, well subs like ourselves get caught up in the emotion of it all and aggression is the flavour. You have one set of subs sitting with a few individuals going mental, on the other side with nothing seperating them is the other set of subs, and low and behold the teams have to walk in bewteen that festering boil to return to the changing room. On their journey bewteen the subs, lots of abuse could take place and it all depends on the emotional state of the player recieving the abuse on how he reacts. Casement need to relocate their subs to reduce this potential conflict

clarshack

the brawl started after the game. all of our players had remained on the pitch for a warm down whereas ballymacnab hadnt - that is why there is a difference in the suspensions. just glad that they didnt throw us out of the competition.

umgolaarmagh

They might as well threw the nab out ffs.

Too many main players missing for replay and it will take a massive team display to win it

supersarsfields

Too many main players missing for replay and it will take a massive team display to win it

Yeah but think of how easy it'll be to create a seige mentality, everyone against us etc.

It'll not be hard to get the Ballymacnab team up for this one!!

Stewartown will need to be equally up for this and fingers crossed they will be.