Ulster Club Championships

Started by hows she cutting, November 10, 2006, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Enniskillen really are clutching at straws now.  I think they should accept they were beaten by the better team on the day regardless of the 1 point win on the scoreboard.  Secondly that complete p***k of a referee Walsh disfavoured both teams, booking men for nothing and then turned a blind eye at violent conduct.  Just because the Ulster council nominated a horse's ass to referee the game shouldn't mean Errigal lose out as a consequence.

FermPundit

I agree that the referee was a disaster for both teams but the Gaels do have a point here. I don't think its a case of sour grapes. McDermott should have been sent off and wasn't therefore Errigal had an unfair advantage for the rest of the game. I think most people did think Daisy had been booked in the first half but there were that many bookings in the game it was difficult to keep track on who was booked and who wasn't. We'll await the decison from the Ulster Council.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

EC Unique

Dasiy is not the only player who should have been sent off but remained on the pitch ::)

Erne Man1

Enniskillen are certainly well entitled to appeal to the Ulster Council - the fact remains that Errigal Ciaran played around 20minutes of the second half with 15players, when there should only have been 14players on the field. I spoke to one of the Enniskillen players on monday and asked him why nobody had kicked up a fuss when McDermott was booked for the second time - he siad because there had been so many cards dished out at that stage the players had no idea who was or was not booked.
I think the Gaels have a reasonable case here - others on here might know the details, but I was nearly sure that Enniskillen were leading 4-3 when McDermott received his second yellow card. The fact that the game was extremely close should mitigate in their favour.
However precedant has been set in this case re the Derry/Cork minor match - so if the Ulster council wish to, they can rule it out of order on this basis. I assume there is no possibility of Errigal Ciaran offering Enniskillen a reply - I seem to remember Derry appealing to Cork's better nature after the minor fiasco?
On a side issue Ballinderry would probably beat  a combination of both teams anyway

The Meadow

It would have made no difference, Enniskillen gained any possesion they had from him in the second half !! Any ball he got he overcarried or got dispossesed!! 
Why has the Final been put back a week???

blasmere

Delayed beacuse Crossmaglen can't meet the winners of Cargin v Clontibret until Sunday week

The Meadow

hows she cutting

from what i've heard, barring any more replays it is due to be played on Sunday 3rd December.

The extra weeks break could be a huge advantage to either Errigal or Ballinderry.

Over the Bar

Quotethe fact remains that Errigal Ciaran played around 20minutes of the second half with 15players, when there should only have been 14players on the field.

And had any decent referee been officiating, Enniskillen would NOT have finished with 14 men.  Accept facts as they are - Enniskillen set out to play negative football and target Errigal's key men rather than play the ball, it backfired and they got beaten.  God forbid that style of play should represent Ulster!

FermPundit

How can you criticise the Gaels for their perceived negative tactics?? Errigal were just as bad for all the off the ball stuff that went on. The referee didn't allow the game to flow with his constant bookings. Anyone one think it was a dirty game when it really wasn't. It was just a typically hard fought ulster club game between two evenly matched sides.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Erne Man1

"And had any decent referee been officiating, Enniskillen would NOT have finished with 14 men.  Accept facts as they are - Enniskillen set out to play negative football and target Errigal's key men rather than play the ball, it backfired and they got beaten.  God forbid that style of play should represent Ulster!"

Overthebar - I think you have missed the "facts as they are" - Errigal Ciaran played for the majority of the second half with 15players, when they should only have had 14. That is the only fact that is relevant to any Enniskillen appeal.

Hereiam

McDerrott should not have been named in the squad for fu*ks sake, he has the wrong attitude for the game and errigal will suffer because off him. He was lucky not to have cost errigal the game on sunday with his stupid fouling. I hope the Errigal management see this now and that it is not worth the risk of playing him in big games especially when he can't stay off the drink for a couple of weeks.

Hungry Exile

I was at Maghera game & was there to support the Shamrocks. The first 25 minutes was like the best Derry & Down had ever served up in the early 90's. Total end to end stuff. Three incidents in the final 5/10 minutes of the first half turned the game in the Shamrock's favour.

1. 50/50 challenge on the Ballinderry half back line went to Ballinderry & could have easily gone to Mayobridge. Instead of the Bridge bringing the score back to 3-2 Ballinderry went up the field to score & leave it 4-1.

2. Coulter broke free & was in on goal - just as he was about to let loose he was half tackled half fouled & the chance was spurned. Could have been a penalty instead it was a kick out! That would have brought them back into it.

3. Sending off: Just before half time Muldoon fielded well in midfield & drove a long ball up field. A moment of madness by Grant was spotted by the linesmen & the ref had no option but to show red. Up until that point Grant had the better of Muldoon & had no need to do what he did.

Mayobridge do not deserve the abuse they have received & Ballinderry are not as good as they are being made out to be.  Had Mayobridge brought the game back to 3-2 then the whole game would have taken on a different perspective

the green man

Have to agree with HungryExile. Mayobridge are not as bad as Sunday's game, anything that could have went wrong, went wrong for them. On the other hand everything went for Ballinderry, if they had of been standing at the top of Glenshane they would have fired them over. Just one of those days you get from time to time

Hungry Exile

Anyone who thinks the Shamrocks are going to cruise into an Ulster final is in planet cuckoo!! 

Malachy O'Rouke / Peter the Great will not allow them the opportunity to play free flowing fast football like they were allowed to do on Sunday. With Loup, O'Rourke put the Shamrocks to the sword twice in the Derry Championship in 2003 & 2005 (and with a worse bunch of players that he currently has at his disposal) - it was the latter defeat that still sits sore in the minds of many Shamrock supporters & players alike.   Canavan & co stripped Ballinderry from their chance of back to back Ulster titles in 2002.

I believe it is interesting that a certain Canavan brother is one of the backroom staff at Ballinderry.  Is he in a no win situation or what!!!!

Slim hope you and the Toome lads learn from last week
:-X