Laois, worst display ever?

Started by Bud Wiser, March 15, 2009, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Embarrising or what?  The worst display I have ever seen in years.  No commitment, fumbling, could not hold the ball, afraid to make a tackle, no cohesion, lazy disjointed and basicly woeful.  What is gone wrong that we could be that bad all of a sudden?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Zulu

I have to agree with you Bud, Laois were absolutely woeful and like you I can't understand why. In fairness Laois were short a few big players but that is no excuse for the headless, passionless and paceless football that ye played. I was at the Laois/Cork AI U21 final 2 years ago and ye were robbed but now it looks like both counties are going in very different directions. What has happened to players like Munnelly, Quigley and a few others I could mention?, they looked like they were out of their depth last night (and against Meath) whereas 3 or 4 years ago Munnelly in particular was one of the country's best forwards.

Bud Wiser

Well Zulu I have often said it is not fair to criticise players on here but I am not criticising any one of them, I am criticising them all.  They were like rabbits caught in headlights, with the exception of MJ Tierney.  I call the manager into question aswell.  Even I would not have allowed Tierney take that free from the acute angle on theleft hand side with his right foot because it was not possible and there was no plan in place.  The tackling was half hearted, throw out an arm, make a bit of contact and that was it.  I am totally dejected and feel my interest in this yeras championship is over before it starts if that is the best we can offer.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Zulu

I've gone to a good few Laois games Bud and I just can't figure ye out, I was there the day ye knocked Tyrone out of the championship in Portlaosie and ye showed great tenacity and fight but I was also there when both Dublin and Armagh over ran ye in CP, how can the same players produce such different pwerformances? There is talent there but going on the two most recent performances, management have questions to answer, there doesn't seem to be any style of play being implemented and yer too easy to score against. That was a far from full strength Cork team so last night was particularily poor, i have to wonder in addition to the management are the Laois players motivated enough to live the lives of an IC player and are they willing to put it in on the training ground because something is not right in that set up.

The Real Laoislad

Don't know about the worst ever Bud,Wexford in Croke Park last year was as bad as I have ever seen them.
No excuses about last night,at least against Meath the weather had an awful lot to do with it but they were just totally outclassed last night..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

Know it's almost like a chicken and egg situation but watched deferred coverage of the Laois game last night and probably the most pathetic thing about the whole thing was the crowd. Cork bring 0 but there was two thousand people at the very most in Portlaoise. Are the Laois fans totally disillusioned or is this nationwide?
Pricing may be a problem that the GAA needs to look at fast. There was no more than 2500 in Enniskillen too. Don't think the GAA fully realise how this financial nightmare is going to affect them just yet. It doesn't look good.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on March 15, 2009, 12:57:09 PM
Know it's almost like a chicken and egg situation but watched deferred coverage of the Laois game last night and probably the most pathetic thing about the whole thing was the crowd. Cork bring 0 but there was two thousand people at the very most in Portlaoise. Are the Laois fans totally disillusioned or is this nationwide?
Pricing may be a problem that the GAA needs to look at fast. There was no more than 2500 in Enniskillen too. Don't think the GAA fully realise how this financial nightmare is going to affect them just yet. It doesn't look good.

I think the admission fees are certainly an issue but I also think more and more people are becoming less keen on the Saturday evening throw ins. Next Saturday we play Laois, in Portlaoise at 7:30. Given that its a three hour journey, I don't think too many Fermanagh fans will make the trip. If you don't stay over night, its a very long trip, especially late at night. A 2pm throw in on Sunday would make far more sense.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

SLIGONIAN

Id have to agree Lads, we had only one sat evening game last yr in Down, and drove there and back as far as enniskillen on icy roads, but I was lucky Dad took over there for last 1hr to Cliffoney because i was tired and sleepy, got home after 1. Pissed off aswell letting a 6pt lead slip :(. Its dangerous on bad roads. This yr we play Antrim away on sat night, and Dad will be on his own and to be honest would nearly prefer him not to risk it. All this in a 96 astra aswell.

We had a trip to Louth last yr too on the same road pretty much but a sunday throw in and it was way better for the sligo fans. Although another loss :(.

I enjoy the floodlight games but the journey and timings arent without risk.

The financial side doesnt hold water for me, as watching my county is priceless. I dont care as long i see us play. If they upped the prices id still go if i was in Ireland and so would Dad.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

INDIANA

watch the dublin v derry game bud, you'll feel better.
Leinster is embarrassingly bad this year.

Jinxy

Cheer up Indiana.
Kildare are hammering Monaghan at the moment.
;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bud Wiser

Quotewatch the dublin v derry game bud, you'll feel better.

At least there is the Dub hurlers Indiana. 

realloaislad, what is going on?  These lads last night could not even stand up on their feet, we could not have ever played as bad before, it is a joke.  looks like there is something seriously wrong between management and team, from the body language I saw anyway.

INDIANA

I know for a fact the laois team are doing seriously heavy training at the moment to the extent that they couldn't be expected to function for 70mins at the weekend.

Hound

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 15, 2009, 02:08:56 PM
Id have to agree Lads, we had only one sat evening game last yr in Down, and drove there and back as far as enniskillen on icy roads, but I was lucky Dad took over there for last 1hr to Cliffoney because i was tired and sleepy, got home after 1. Pissed off aswell letting a 6pt lead slip :(. Its dangerous on bad roads. This yr we play Antrim away on sat night, and Dad will be on his own and to be honest would nearly prefer him not to risk it. All this in a 96 astra aswell.

We had a trip to Louth last yr too on the same road pretty much but a sunday throw in and it was way better for the sligo fans. Although another loss :(.

The 7.30 throw ins are too late for away fans. Why not 5.30pm on a Saturday evening? That'd be far better in my opinion.

Maguire01

Quote from: Hound on March 15, 2009, 08:40:43 PM
The 7.30 throw ins are too late for away fans. Why not 5.30pm on a Saturday evening? That'd be far better in my opinion.
Presumably because a lot of people work on a Saturday and the 7.30 start gives them a better chance to see the game.

Tyrone_redhand

Moving it to 6.30 might be better