Extending a wireless network

Started by amallon, March 13, 2009, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

I have two buildings about 100m apart.  One building has a broadband connection and I want to extend this wireless network to the other building.  I got a wireless n router which was the most powerfull one maplin stocked but the signal just about made it to the other building and wouldn't penetrate the outside wall.  There are electric lines in the way and shed which partially blocks the line of sight.

Anyone any ideas of a setup I could install to get round this problem.  I thought about putting a directional antenna on the building with the broadband router and a wireless access point in the other building to bring the signal in. 

Cheers for any suggestions
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

carribbear

Gnevin

A modem like WRT54GL can be hacked too have an extended range , however at 100m you are really pushing it . Can you cable it ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

carribbear

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 13, 2009, 09:00:51 PM
Quote from: carribbear on March 13, 2009, 06:01:43 PM
Check out the cisco design

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/mesh/4.0/deployment/guide/overview.html
I am impressed.

That would more than do the job

Depends on how much you want to spend but secure wireless is becoming a growing trend in companies. Cisco seem to be promoting this a lot more and have added wireless security on to their courses.
The page I posted was part of the CCDA course.

ardmhachaabu

I have got the material together for the CCNA course but haven't had the chance to look at it - have a 9 week old baby and he sort of takes up my time
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something