new york/toronto

Started by blewuporstuffed, March 12, 2009, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

am probably going to NY  for the mayo match in may . apart from sporting events what s a must do .
not big into seeing things just cause their famous . if i see a picture of it ill believe its there eg empire state building  statue of liberty ect
are tours of them worth doing?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Quote from: Canalman on March 12, 2009, 03:07:31 PM
Toronto, while a nice city is a place imo you will get tiredof/bored with quiet quickly. NY is the opposite. A week is the minimum needed to do the place justice.
If going to a baseball game (boring enough but great for people watching) go to see the Mets play ......... a lot more "rough 'n ready" than Yankee Stadium. Think they have a new stadium as well and the Mets are traditionally the team supported by the Irish in NY.
Give Little Italy a miss...... an expensive tourist trap.

Both baseball teams have new stadiums opening next month. The game itself is fine - its all the delays and the bullshit such as the shots of drunk fat morons dancing that they feel compelled to broadcast between the plays that annoys me.

Little Italy is great (obviously!) if you like Italian food (not that dear in my experience), but it's essentially been reduced to one street (Mulberry Street) running through the middle of Chinatown. Apart from that there isn't much to see unless your visit coincides with one of the catholic religious festivals such as San Gennaro, where they march the statue through the streets with the brass band sticking the dollar bills to it (you've all seen assassinations taking place during it in the Godfathers II & III).

FL/MAYO

The Staten Island Ferry is a nice trip, you can see the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan all in one go plus it only costs about a Dollar. Time Square at night is also a great sight as is Rockerfeller Centre and St Patricks Cathedral which are a short walk from Time Square.