Unionism's big opportunity to shed its religious bigotry

Started by T Fearon, March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: Roger on March 16, 2009, 01:06:33 PM
Do a quick google on the three words in question. You'll readily find a number of Catholic organisations describing themselves as Roman Catholic.

Do a Google for Catholic on it's own and you'll see many more hit without the Roman prefix.

Roger

Quote from: Donagh on March 16, 2009, 03:33:30 PM
Do a quick google on the three words in question. You'll readily find a number of Catholic organisations describing themselves as Roman Catholic.

Do a Google for Catholic on it's own and you'll see many more hit without the Roman prefix.
Oh right. Are they offended ones or the proper Catholics? ::)

My suggestion was to Lynchboy who didn't know that "Roman Catholic" was fairly common around the world but he had never heard of any Catholics in any countries do this.  If you google it you will see that even Catholics describe themselves as Roman Catholics and whilst the Church is officially the "Catholic Church".  FFS even priests / bishops in Ireland describe themselves as this. 

So give it a rest with your over sensitive nonsense and setting yourself up as a board policeman for those that might possibly be offended by this oh so big bad Unionist.  It's pathetic.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 16, 2009, 12:56:03 PM
Quote from: Roger on March 16, 2009, 09:24:12 AM
When distinguishing between the Christian churches the Catholic Church often is described as Roman Catholic and is fairly common place around the world to do so, and is accepted as such.  It is not meant as a derogatory description and many Catholics do so themselves too.  By taking offense at it just seems to be silly and it could be argued that not to do so would offend others.
not amongst any Catholics in any countries I know

plus the greeks and russians call themselves othadox not catholics - well the ones I have met at least...would expect that they are indicative of the rest ..
jeez man, google all ya like,
its reality that most of us are looking at not cyber land !  :o

Donagh

Quote from: Roger on March 16, 2009, 03:48:51 PM
My suggestion was to Lynchboy who didn't know that "Roman Catholic" was fairly common around the world but he had never heard of any Catholics in any countries do this.  If you google it you will see that even Catholics describe themselves as Roman Catholics and whilst the Church is officially the "Catholic Church".  FFS even priests / bishops in Ireland describe themselves as this. 

So give it a rest with your over sensitive nonsense and setting yourself up as a board policeman for those that might possibly be offended by this oh so big bad Unionist.  It's pathetic.

Roger I've explained elsewhere on this thread why it is both factually incorrect and offensive to some. Are you saying this is untrue i.e. that Roman Catholic is the correct name of the Church and/or some people don't find it offensive? If so you had better point it other, otherwise as I mentioned to delboy if you continue to use the term on this Board when you know it offends some people, then we can only assume you are doing it deliberately. As you have no interest in the GAA, we might then wonder why you spend so much time on a GAA discussion forum using language which may offend many of the readers of this Board i.e. if you are going to post over here at least have a few manners about yourself.

lynchbhoy

Oh right. Are they offended ones or the proper Catholics? ::)

no roger, this is the real world, catholics dont use that prefix in real life, nor do greek/russian orthodox either.
Maybe go look up what donagh suggests, you might learn something,
maybe catholics might know a bit more about normal every day catholocism than yourself (obv !)
::)

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 16, 2009, 04:05:25 PM
jeez man, google all ya like,
its reality that most of us are looking at not cyber land !  :o
Reality is that Catholics themselves and Catholic organisations themselves use the term in Ireland and many other countries.  Just because you believe your reality is the only reality on this earth and everyone else is wrong, doesn't mean it is.

Roger

Quote from: Donagh on March 16, 2009, 04:06:14 PM

Roger I've explained elsewhere on this thread why it is both factually incorrect and offensive to some. Are you saying this is untrue i.e. that Roman Catholic is the correct name of the Church and/or some people don't find it offensive? If so you had better point it other, otherwise as I mentioned to delboy if you continue to use the term on this Board when you know it offends some people, then we can only assume you are doing it deliberately. As you have no interest in the GAA, we might then wonder why you spend so much time on a GAA discussion forum using language which may offend many of the readers of this Board i.e. if you are going to post over here at least have a few manners about yourself.
Read my posts. I do not disrespect anyone's religion.  I have explained my usage of the term "Roman Catholic" and in what context I used this. I am well aware that the official title of the Catholic Church is the "Catholic Church".  If people get offended then by all means report me or whatever sanction you want, but you are being ridiculous Donagh with your offense at my posts.

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 16, 2009, 04:08:39 PM
no roger, this is the real world, catholics dont use that prefix in real life, nor do greek/russian orthodox either.
Maybe go look up what donagh suggests, you might learn something,
maybe catholics might know a bit more about normal every day catholocism than yourself (obv !)
::)
You are wholly inaccurate and at least one example of a Catholic bishop using the prefix has already been given to you.  You might think donagh is some boy, but you and he are both being ridiculous with this.

Donagh

Quote from: Roger on March 16, 2009, 04:20:23 PM
Read my posts. I do not disrespect anyone's religion.  I have explained my usage of the term "Roman Catholic" and in what context I used this. I am well aware that the official title of the Catholic Church is the "Catholic Church".  If people get offended then by all means report me or whatever sanction you want, but you are being ridiculous Donagh with your offense at my posts.

Where did I say I was offended? I have explained to you why it is extremely discourteous to use that term on this Board unless using in the contexts I have already referred to on this thread. Indeed I think a few posters have agreed that they find it offensive, so by continuing to use the term you are deliberately setting out to offend - again we have to wonder why you would do that on a GAA discussion forum. Why would you do that Roger?

Roger

Quote from: Donagh on March 16, 2009, 04:26:10 PM

Where did I say I was offended? I have explained to you why it is extremely discourteous to use that term on this Board unless using in the contexts I have already referred to on this thread. Indeed I think a few posters have agreed that they find it offensive, so by continuing to use the term you are deliberately setting out to offend - again we have to wonder why you would do that on a GAA discussion forum. Why would you do that Roger?
FFS Donagh grow up.

Donagh

Quote from: Roger on March 16, 2009, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: Donagh on March 16, 2009, 04:26:10 PM

FFS Donagh grow up.

Erm, I think it might be you who's having the difficulty maintaining an adult discussion.

Tonto

Not going to get involved in this debate and TBH didn't know the "Roman" bit was offensive.  ???

Anyway - surely there are more hits for "Catholic" than "Roman Catholic" because "Catholic" will bring up all the times that "Catholic" comes up, even with the prefix...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tonto on March 16, 2009, 04:55:52 PM

Not going to get involved in this debate and TBH didn't know the "Roman" bit was offensive.  ???

Anyway - surely there are more hits for "Catholic" than "Roman Catholic" because "Catholic" will bring up all the times that "Catholic" comes up, even with the prefix...

cant say I find it 'offensive' myself but pedantically have to say that its not used by anyone I know or have known in the Catholic church/mass goers etc.....and I most certainly dont use it.
Only people I ever hear using the phrase would have been unionist/loyalists on the telly !

Thats all I am saying  - but it seems that roger the dominican is taking it badly that his assertions are not quite correct for the majority of the Catholic religion !
:D

Donagh

Quote from: Tonto on March 16, 2009, 04:55:52 PM

Many non-Catholics aren't aware that some Catholics find it offensive Tonto, which is why I mentioned it in the first place. I didn't predict or expect some posters to get so indignant about my mentioning it. Doesn't annoy me, but I know many who are bothered and as such I would never use it.

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 16, 2009, 05:02:56 PM
Only people I ever hear using the phrase would have been unionist/loyalists on the telly !
Therefore it is bad and must be opposed  ::)