Was John Mc Intyre for real about Galway's chances this year ?

Started by orangeman, March 08, 2009, 10:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It's obviously hard to compare teams from 20 years apart, but individuals and their style of play can be a little easier. Doubtless the game is a lot quicker now, but Brendan Lynskey had more skills than Niall McCarthy in my opinion. McCarthy is/was an important cog in that Cork team, but generally he was a 'break up the play' centre forward. Lynskey could break up the play (and a lot of other things), but he could also show more skill than McCarthy.

Lynskey used to get rare punishment in Galway club hurling as well. I think he was Meelick/Eyrecourt. Jaysus Galway club hurling back then was ferocious stuff altogether. I'd see an odd game in Ballinasloe and it was like the Killing Fields of Cambodia at times.

slow corner back

Quote from: orangeman on April 20, 2009, 10:47:46 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2009, 10:37:41 AM
Niall McCarthy isn't half the hurler that Lynskey was. Lynskey was rough as a badger's arse at times, but when it called for hurling, he could hurl. Niall McCarthy is more of a workhorse.

Jesus lads, it's hard to compare Lysnkey of the 80s and Niall of this decade. Niall is / was a good hurler and IMO would compare favourably to Lynskey but maybe that's me being too much of a Cork fan and a defender of their honour !  ;)

OM you clealy never saw Lynskey in his prime, he was at the time the best centre forward in Ireland something which could never be said about Niall McCarthy good player that he was

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2009, 10:52:55 AM
It's obviously hard to compare teams from 20 years apart, but individuals and their style of play can be a little easier. Doubtless the game is a lot quicker now, but Brendan Lynskey had more skills than Niall McCarthy in my opinion. McCarthy is/was an important cog in that Cork team, but generally he was a 'break up the play' centre forward. Lynskey could break up the play (and a lot of other things), but he could also show more skill than McCarthy.

Lynskey used to get rare punishment in Galway club hurling as well. I think he was Meelick/Eyrecourt. Jaysus Galway club hurling back then was ferocious stuff altogether. I'd see an odd game in Ballinasloe and it was like the Killing Fields of Cambodia at times.

Was Sylvie involved in any of that by chance ?? Was there not a game last year, Liam Mellows and somebody - turned out a bad handling ??

You're probably right about Lynskey - he had the heart of a lion and as you say had the skills to go with it. A hard man by anybody's standards.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on April 20, 2009, 11:09:37 AM

Was Sylvie involved in any of that by chance ?? Was there not a game last year, Liam Mellows and somebody - turned out a bad handling ??

You're probably right about Lynskey - he had the heart of a lion and as you say had the skills to go with it. A hard man by anybody's standards.

Sylvie was involved in his fair share, but in fairness there were hard men, and some butchers, dotted around every club team in Galway.

Croí na hÉireann

He was indeed from Meelick & to compare Niall McCarthy to him is pure rubbish talk. The hatchet men are still alive and well in Galway club hurling, Joe Canning wasn't too impressed with Clarinbridge in the county semi-final as he outlined walking off the field in the documentary "Pride of the Parish" that aired last Friday...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

GalwayBayBoy

Lynskey was Meelick-Eyrecourt alright. One of the oldest clubs in the country. Founded in 1884.

orangeman

seafoid

McIntyre is very cute. He doesn't talk about galway in terms of "we". He says "they".
It is as if he is a passerby who just got involved by accident. He's from Tipp. He probably taunts them to get the right response.
It seems to work..

Clarin Pearl

John OM did the same thing when managing the footballers. It promotes responsibility among the players. This is the key difference between McIntyre and the previous 3 or 4 managers. Responsibility and taking control of a situation yourself as opposed to hoping someone else will do it.

orangeman

Mullane having a bad time of it otday. Galway coasting home. 6 in it.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2009, 05:20:23 PM
Quote from: Clarin Pearl on July 26, 2009, 05:18:36 PM
don't think so

Squeaky bum time alright.  ;)

Point in it now to Galway. Waterford goal. Game on. Minute left plus 2 additional.

orangeman

orangeman