Kerry v Mayo NFL Round 4 15 March 2009

Started by Barney, March 08, 2009, 08:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Can anyone tell me the distance / travel time from Dingle to Tralee and what side of the town is the pitch on?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on March 13, 2009, 01:53:58 PM
This obsession with Kerry? keep putting them up on a pedestal lads and we'll always be the gombeens looking up at them.

Quote from: Maradona on March 13, 2009, 12:57:00 PM
So stop the pandering and lets sort ourselves out. We have a manager spouting 'we are up against it' this weekend. Well maybe we are, but shut up and put it right.

What's putting Kerry on a pedestal? Some anonymous poster on an internet discussion board or thirty-five All-Ireland titles, thirteen clear of their nearest challenger? There's no need to big Kerry up; they have never been small.

I can explain what Tyrone did though. I was paying attention. They got ridden by Paddy Russell in 1995 and smashed to bits by Meath in 1996. That taught them that nobody was going to protect them, and that anything they wanted they would have to fight for themselves, and not mind what anyone else thought. That's the first lesson. Mayo have never shown that level of determination. They think they have, but they haven't.

The second lesson is that Mayo have enjoyed their best period of football since the 1950s in the past ten or fifteen years - Mayo went toe to toe over 140 minutes, a man down for sixty of them, against that Meath team that smashed up Tyrone - but instead of taking comfort in that you have people going around the place rending their garments saying "musha I wish we had never got past the first round." You're never going to win if you're scared of losing.

Highorlow - I'd say it's a good solid hour from Dingle to Tralee. Don't know where the park is though.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 13, 2009, 02:53:52 PM
This obsession with Kerry? keep putting them up on a pedestal lads and we'll always be the gombeens looking up at them.

So stop the pandering and lets sort ourselves out. We have a manager spouting 'we are up against it' this weekend. Well maybe we are, but shut up and put it right.

What's putting Kerry on a pedestal? Some anonymous poster on an internet discussion board or thirty-five All-Ireland titles, thirteen clear of their nearest challenger? There's no need to big Kerry up; they have never been small.

Exactly, they have enough All-Irelands without lads swooning over their fans asking them, "so what do ye think of us?"! That's the only point I'm trying to make. If we don't shift this inferiority complex with them we'll never beat them on a consistent basis. We win alot of games in Connacht because we have a superiority complex if anything, well it works both ways, and we have been beaten against kerry before a ball has been thrown in in the recent finals.

Anyway ICC, I agree fully with you on the Tyrone analysis, they learned the hard way to do it for themselves, we need to take note!

deaconblue

highorlow   --   its a nice handy hour from dingle town to stack park, when you arrive in tralee you can get to the ground and avoid town centre by following signs for limerick/castleisland, its all very easy and parking next to ground is available in the horan centre if you get there early enough, enjoy.

blast05

Jesus C, as a Mayo man this thread is f**king embarrassing.... Mayo posters penning sychophantic posts re Kerry football  .... puke

moysider

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on March 13, 2009, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 13, 2009, 02:53:52 PM

Exactly, they have enough All-Irelands without lads swooning over their fans asking them, "so what do ye think of us?"! That's the only point I'm trying to make. If we don't shift this inferiority complex with them we'll never beat them on a consistent basis. We win alot of games in Connacht because we have a superiority complex if anything, well it works both ways, and we have been beaten against kerry before a ball has been thrown in in the recent finals.
Anyway ICC, I agree fully with you on the Tyrone analysis, they learned the hard way to do it for themselves, we need to take note!

Probably true. Thing is I m not sure there has been any meaningful analysis of why this happened except for a few lazy generalisations and the usual convenient scapegoats. I ve no doubt the same thing would happen again except we re not likely to be in a position to find out.

In the past two years we ve been beaten by Galway before a ball has been thrown in as well remember. We ve been so poorly selected and set up we ve handed them a winning position each year and tried to play catch -up. Not the big margin in the end but the matches were thrown away none the less. Just the masses we re nt interested and no club delegate said the players looked like 'ladeens' at a board meeting. Apparently an Omerta now exists but nothing has changed since 06 except the personnel. It has nt been just Kerry in AI finals we ve got wrong. Throw in Derry in 07 and we ve had some severe scutchings.

At least there s a decent crop of players there. But it s difficult to see where progress can be made if Derry league match and much of the Westmeath game are a barometer.  We may have to play Ros neutral this year and Galway will have a home venue. I can see the 'Fortress Salthill' quotes already. Everybody knows the team and how Galway will play this Summer. But who is confident we would have a selection and game plan to take them if we meet?

Kerry Mike

Back to the important things,

The Kerry team for the Mayo game

1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle )
(2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin ) (3) Aidan O'Shea (Glenbeigh /Glencar ) (4) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore) 
(5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) 
(8) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
(10) Paul Galvin (Finuge)  (11) Declan O'Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) 
(13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)  (Captain)

Fir Ionad: (16) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) (17) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (18) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) (19) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) (20) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (21) Brian Sheehan (St Mary's) (22) Ronán O'Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht)  (23) Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes) (24) Tadhg Kennelly

Young Jacko starts at fullback, his best position for his club, a west Kerry half backline with Marc playing great football in the middle , always seen him as a future centre back, Tomas gets a first run out this year.

A very inexperienced looking midfield but Maher has done well in the games he has come on in so he deserves a start while Quirke too needs games but is a good option.

None of the U21's involved as they are playing the langers tomorrow.

Kennelly has to wait for his first start. No Darragh yet either but he is training so hopefully we will see him in action soon.

Overall as strong as we can be at this time of the year.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 13, 2009, 01:07:25 AM
I wasnt at the '96 semi-final but a mate of mine who was said that the walk from Croker into the city centre was brutal, plenty of crowing going on so there's no point talking about what some fella said after the game, we have our own stories about what was said to us after defeats. The difference with us is that when we lose 31 counties pile in to have a pop. Especially those that have an axe to grind about some past defeat.

But thats grand, its all part of it and, obviously, I wouldn't trade places with any other county...you just have to give it and take it in equal measure.

Cant let this go Mike. The young lad I happened to walk out of Croke Park with was nt 'crowing'. I was pissed off after being humiliated again and he felt he had wasted his money. People coming from different places that s all. Both feeling let down for different reasons. At no time was his manner or conversation belittling or disrespectful however. He just felt he had been sold a pup.

Makes me wonder though about the lad that felt the 96 aftermath brutal. Obviously the lad is not used to hardship and maybe likes the melodrama. Did he not see the Sheehy,Spillane, Egan AI wins? Surely they would sustain him over an ordinary semi defeat. There are préacháns everywhere but the small Mayo crowd that day were mostly relieved to win this after what happened previous 6 years. I was on the Hill that day with a gang and we headed for home after. We were delighted naturally but nobody crowed that I remembered. I ve no doubt some did and a few were full to the gills even before the game started. Big deal, hardly brutal though. The thing is, teams that are used to winning sometimes react badly to the defeats that are the norm for the majority of teams. There are slights percieved where none are intended. Opposition fan s delight is percieved as gloating, disrespectful etc.

moysider

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 14, 2009, 12:53:37 AM
Back to the important things,

The Kerry team for the Mayo game

1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle )
(2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin ) (3) Aidan O'Shea (Glenbeigh /Glencar ) (4) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore) 
(5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) 
(8) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
(10) Paul Galvin (Finuge)  (11) Declan O'Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) 
(13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)  (Captain)

Fir Ionad: (16) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) (17) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (18) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) (19) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) (20) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (21) Brian Sheehan (St Mary's) (22) Ronán O'Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht)  (23) Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes) (24) Tadhg Kennelly

Young Jacko starts at fullback, his best position for his club, a west Kerry half backline with Marc playing great football in the middle , always seen him as a future centre back, Tomas gets a first run out this year.

A very inexperienced looking midfield but Maher has done well in the games he has come on in so he deserves a start while Quirke too needs games but is a good option.

None of the U21's involved as they are playing the langers tomorrow.

Kennelly has to wait for his first start. No Darragh yet either but he is training so hopefully we will see him in action soon.

Overall as strong as we can be at this time of the year.

Yeah. Strong team and ye have the luxury of resting the U21s. We ll probably have 4 lads playing 2 games in 2 days. Go figure. Management moaning about it but... hey everybody knows the u21 championship is started in March. Meanwhile no sign of Aiden Higgins, Heaney or J Nallen who apparently will possibly be around later. Its March for FFS and if these lads are to be involved they should be there now and not having Parsons, Vaughan, McLoughlin, Sweeney and O Shea playing 2 days in a row. Crazy.  Management should have seen this coming. These u21s are lads that have already played a lot of Sigerson as well. This constant moaning about injuries, venues, u21 matches clashing is a pain. Always F****** excuses in advance.  Fair play to those managers for taking this consideration ( if anybody needs any evidence of how a top manager like O Connor operates, well this is a good example) and for naming a team days in advance and stimulating interest and debate. Here in Mayo it s usually 'guess the team' until before the throw-in. I suspect its all about dumbing down public interest and keeping people in the dark and feeding them shite. The last day in Charlestown it was @5 mins before throw- in before we got a selection. At that stage most of us had worked it out for ourselves but not quite. Caff broke down in the minutes before throw in when it should have been apparent to management much earlier(surely he did a fitness test). Yet he was fit to stride out with 3 on his back( this would indicate uncertainty on managements part. They made the right decision in the end but you get the impression that some stuff is winged a bit) And a public address announcement asking a listed sub to report to the Mayo dugout. Christ you could nt make that shite up. There is no respect for the those that bother with the game here. No wonder only about 1200 Mayo folk turned up the last day.

Farrandeelin

Well O'Mahony was well used to moaning about the likes of what you've stated there moysider during his days as Galway manager. A leopard never changes his spots I'm afraid. I wonder what the Mayo crowd will be like?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magickingdom

good win for kerry today with plenty players given game time, jack o connor is going to have some headace picking a team. marc o se went off injured, looked bad enough but hopefully he'll be ok. tadhg kennelly came on again and got plenty ball, c cooper was man of the match tho. very big crowd there today

Barney

I didn't get to travel, and feared a big beating. From listening to Mid West it seems that we put up a credible enough show.

Then I turn to the Independent and see this line:

QuoteO'Mahony balefully observed: "I know this team will come good. The talent is there and we have more to come in. I just don't know if it'll come good in my stint or not."

Its not the kind of attitude we need to be hearing.

kevmy

Quote from: Barney on March 16, 2009, 08:02:36 AM
I didn't get to travel, and feared a big beating. From listening to Mid West it seems that we put up a credible enough show.

Then I turn to the Independent and see this line:

QuoteO'Mahony balefully observed: "I know this team will come good. The talent is there and we have more to come in. I just don't know if it'll come good in my stint or not."

Its not the kind of attitude we need to be hearing.

I know we don't want to hear it but we all know it. This team (as opposed to last year's team) is very young. From 1 to 8 the oldest player that will start come Championship is Gardiner and even he isn't certain of a spot. We could well see Keith Higgins being the most experienced player in defence.

As for the midfield/forwards we have McGarrity, Dillon, Harte and the 2 Morts all who are experienced but Trevor apart I don't think any would be classed as veterans.

I hope this team come good this - I think it's possible but I couldn't be sure, but I think we will be a force in the next couple of years.

Kerry Mike

We played very poorly yesterday but still won and as Jack O'Connor said afterwards we got a kick in the arse in the process. Improvements needed all round the field, Marc O'Se will be a loss if his injury is serious. And the U21's will be back after their hammering to the Langers over the weekend, their heads were still maybe in the clouds from last year, now that is out of the way its time to knuckle down with the seniors.

4 wins from 4 is an above average start to the year for us but now its onwards to the next round, nothing more to see here from a Kerry point of view, I'll leave the analysis to the Mayo lads.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

This team will never be a top force unless we get a top forward from somewhere. All the top teams have at least one outstanding scoring forward. Boys on Kerry radio said Cooper the difference yesterday. We worry about getting somebody to mark the Coopers and Meehans and Bradleys while the big problem is we dont have anybody in the same league to worry and hurt the opposition.  No Dolan or Glennon, Freeman, McDonnell, Clarke, Devenney, Murphy, Forde etc. Conor failed to score from play yesterday. Cooper scored 5.

Nothing on the horizon either. Our U21s scored 6 points on Sat in a game we dominated. A class forward and a freetaker( missed 3 gimmies) and we d have scored 8 more points and not have been flattered. Last years minors were just a top forward shy of winning the AI. The rest was in place.

With Barry Moran back we should be competitive enough and win enough ball and get a spread of scores. But we need a freetaker. Yesterday we missed an easy free(Dillon) and a kickable 45( Kilcoyne) that would have put some pressure on Kerry to close out the game.

Sobering to think that Kerry apparently play poorly and win without being pushed against us.