What book are you reading?

Started by irunthev, March 08, 2009, 07:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

I have been going through a bit of a George Orwell phase at the moment and have just finished reading "The Road To Wigan Pier". An incredible insight into how things can be in real economic turmoil. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Minder

"The Damned United" by David Peace.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

irunthev

Quote from: Minder on March 08, 2009, 09:28:24 PM

Absolutely great read. Read it on holidays last year and flew through it

Doogie Browser

Quote from: irunthev on March 08, 2009, 10:05:41 PM

Definitely on my hitlist, I was reading that the Clough family were complaining about the way Brian was presented by the author though, how does he come across?  I read Cloughs autobiography many years ago and it was brilliant, a fascinating man no doubt.

Minder

I think one of the main things they took issue with was the amount of swearing from Clough, the film is out shortly i think but the Clough family have boycotted it. I read somewhere the other day that Johnny Giles got an apology in court.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

I read Orwell's 1984 at Christmas. One of those books i had been meaning to read for years - i went onto Amazon and bought a few of the 'classics'. I thought it was okay - not amazing, but a decent read.

maggie

Quote from: Orior on March 08, 2009, 09:33:58 PM
Qi Annual
Reading this myself-then I pretend im intellectual and know stuff.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 08, 2009, 10:11:53 PM

Definitely on my hitlist, I was reading that the Clough family were complaining about the way Brian was presented by the author though, how does he come across?  I read Cloughs autobiography many years ago and it was brilliant, a fascinating man no doubt.
Seen a few clips of the Clough the other day. Looks good and your man Michael Sheen seems to have the voice nailed. Going to start Provided You Don't Kiss Me or The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid tonight.

The Gs Man

Greil Marcus "Invisible Republic - Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes".

and......

"Howl" by Allen Ginsberg

Always have two books....one for work/train, one for the toilet..... :)
Keep 'er lit

RedandGreenSniper

I hope they serve beer in hell by Tucker Max. A tell all series of chapters about an American socilalite and all his drunken and sexual adventures. Was well recommended to me but I'm finding him hard to suffer. Some stories are funny but some very tall too! www.tuckermax.com is his website with some of the stories on there, he's meant to be a bit of a cult hero over there. Lets just say the lads that didn't like the questions you were afraid to ask wouldn't be fans of Mr Max.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

john mcgill

Just finished Wendell Steavenson's "The Weight of a Mustard Seed" about Iraq.  Great book.  I'm just heading off to Paris for a week with Cherie Blair.  Her book that is!

irunthev

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2009, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 08, 2009, 10:11:53 PM

Seen a few clips of the Clough the other day. Looks good and your man Michael Sheen seems to have the voice nailed. Going to start Provided You Don't Kiss Me or The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid tonight.

Provided you don't kiss me is even better than "That Damned United". It really demonstrates the demons that haunted Clough in the latter days. I'm sure there were times that Duncan Hamilton would have thought that he was cursed having to report on Forest and work with Clough, but looking back now he must think that he had the greatest job in the world at the time.

Canalman

Started reading Trainspotting again. Am determined to finish it this time. Got In th  Name of the Rose in a VdeP shop last Friday and will read it again after Trainspotting.

Harold Disgracey

Currently reading Robert Fisk's The Great War for Civilisation: the Conquest of the Middle East and The Coronation by Boris Akunin.

I read The Name of the Rose a good while ago, it was tough going!