John Mc Entee returning to the County Fold?

Started by T Fearon, March 05, 2009, 09:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

I've always got mixed emotions about football comebacks.  Things are never really the same the second time around.  John deserves a call-up on club performances of late alone, but beyond that i dunno. Would he really have the hunger for this anymore?
That's just, like your opinion man.

ardmhachaabu

If this is true and he is planning a return, I would say he's hungry for it
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

full back

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7936656.stm

Crossmaglen stalwart John McEntee has ruled out any prospect of him returning to the Armagh county squad.

Armagh manager Peter McDonnell is understood to have made overtures to McEntee but the player told BBC Sport that his intercounty days are "over".

"I'm too old. I'm not fit for county football any more," said McEntee.

"I'm 31 and my days are numbered with Cross let alone the county. There are plenty of young fellows in Cross and throughout other clubs in the county."

McEntee, who quit the Armagh squad after the 2006 season, made the comments at Tuesday's Crossmaglen press night ahead of next week's AIB All-Ireland Club Final against Kilmacud Crokes.

Cross don't appear to have any major injury problems going into the decider.

However with a full squad at his disposal, manager Donal Murtagh will have some major selection calls to make - particularly in attack.

The Cross squad has 11 players battling for the six forward slots and the strength-in-depth was emphasised in the semi-final hammering of Dromcollogher-Broadford when Armagh senior panelist Stephen Kernan started from the bench.

orangeman

Mc Entees - understated as always - class acts - both of them - modest - you couldn't ask for more.

I hope he can continue to shine in the Cross jersey for years to come.

Armamike

As usual, John cuts the crap and gets straight to the point.

He's made the right decision for himself and the county imo. His hunger for this went a few years ago. It's time to move on and go with the younger lads.
That's just, like your opinion man.

mountainboii

Quote from: full back on March 11, 2009, 09:53:44 AM

"I'm too old. I'm not fit for county football any more," said McEntee.

"I'm 31 and my days are numbered with Cross let alone the county. There are plenty of young fellows in Cross and throughout other clubs in the county."

In fairness to John, he surely know himself that this bullshit :-\ :(

naka

in fairness John hasnt been approached yet, dont be surprised to see a major charm offensive post st paddys day

Donagh

I wouldn't say that piece rules McEntee out from an appearance this year. He (modestly) reckons he's past it and wants to let the young lads have a go, but a bit of persuasion might convince him to give it one more go.

Orior

Quote from: naka on March 12, 2009, 12:29:29 PM
in fairness John hasnt been approached yet, dont be surprised to see a major charm offensive post st paddys day

Fair enough John.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mackers

Quote from: Armamike on March 06, 2009, 12:05:27 AM
I've always got mixed emotions about football comebacks.  Things are never really the same the second time around.  John deserves a call-up on club performances of late alone, but beyond that i dunno. Would he really have the hunger for this anymore?
I wonder has he had a word with Diarmiud Marsden, another Armagh great who made a comeback which had mixed results. I'd be very surprised if John came back.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

blanketattack

Quote from: rrhf on March 05, 2009, 12:09:57 PM

Aside( Great legends who just went on too long: the puffing panting Seamus Moynihan replaced in AIF 2005

The same Seamus Moynihan who had a great 2006 ending the year with an All-Ireland medal medal, an All-Star award and made the GPA team of the year?
So he was past it in 2005 and not in 2006?

3000 miles away

i think paul mc grane suffered from john mac leaving the last few years he used to stop players blocking mc granes run, and he kept the scoreboard and lifted presure off clarke and mc donnell with his sometimes glorius scores, dont think he'll be back.

Tyrone_redhand

It would be hard to come back to intercounty at that age