business closures/job struggles formerly 'its the waiting that is hell'

Started by longball, March 04, 2009, 02:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Tough break lads I hope it works out for ye all..

I was talking to a Plumber lately who told me he had just landed a big contract,he went to the bank and asked for 20k as a short term loan to buy materials for the job and hire a couple of guys a for a while until he started getting paid from said job,the bank refused him the money and he couldn't take the contract..

He never missed a payment on any loan he has ever got off the bank and he could given two fellas who were on the dole work for 8 months and pay back the loan in a even shorter time but now he is at home on the dole himself because he couldn't raise the finance to start the job..

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: longball on March 04, 2009, 07:14:50 PM
Quote from: erne bhoy on March 04, 2009, 07:12:25 PM
I'm not even joking when I say this but if you simply must have a job then asda in enniskillen is the place to go. There is literally an army of employees, couple of mates have picked up jobs there in the past couple of weeks, £6.50 an hour I believe, so there you go. Jobs like nothing normal, for the record it's actually the fifth largest grossing walmart (yes walmart ) in the world. Thousands of crazy southern cnuts coming up and buying whatever they can carry lol

Gonna apply here in the morning!

Could be something similar in the Asda in Strabane too longball, it's not far off Enniskillen I believe in either turnover or customer throughput.

It's dire out there at the minute indeed, with all strata of (ex-)employees affected, and the really scary aspect is that any of the economists or such who know anything about it say that there's a long way to go yet, downwards.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Reading through this thread I hadn't realised so many posters were in bother.

Hopefully things will turn around quickly for everyone.

TRLL I think your mate needs to name and shame the bank and I mean the actual Branch. Contact a good journo or even a good politican if there is one. Richard Bruton maybe.
MWWSI 2017

longball

To be honest Muppet ive been seeking work from the start of Feb but to be honest its really only hit me this week first few weeks i was so optmistic thinking id find a job no problem but now im really starting to worry. Have recently started a house as well just getting foundations in to keep the site but thats even gonna be a struggle. Fear ive applied for an Accountancy job in Strabane so hopefully hear back from that in next few days.
Hopefully everyone else gets sorted, the world is fu*ked i duno what to be at. Seriously i asked earlier and no-one seemed to respond but any money making schemes out there? Willing to deliver 'packages'  ;) if needs be lol
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

BallyhaiseMan

Longball you could always join the british army.

just sayin  ???

(waits for the barrage of abuse to start)  :D

longball

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 04, 2009, 08:40:30 PM
Longball you could always join the british army.

just sayin  ???

(waits for the barrage of abuse to start)  :D

Was looking at the PSNI website earlier there to see if there was any administrative roles going.

Pangurban

While it is sad to see so many people in desperate situations being used and abused by employers and the system generally, i cant help noting that some of the people posting on this thread, were very critical and patronising towards those who advocated the need for strong trade unions or professional bodies to uphold and defend workers rights. I was just wondering if any of you are now having second thoughts on this subject.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Pangurban on March 05, 2009, 12:10:23 AM
While it is sad to see so many people in desperate situations being used and abused by employers and the system generally, i cant help noting that some of the people posting on this thread, were very critical and patronising towards those who advocated the need for strong trade unions or professional bodies to uphold and defend workers rights. I was just wondering if any of you are now having second thoughts on this subject.

Pangurban,

I can see the positives and minuses for unions (use to belong to the Iron Workers), but in this economy a union can only do so much. If the work is not there they (union) will not be able to manufacture jobs for their industry. Unions are only going to really help you when there are plenty of jobs about and help with bene's, pay and hours.

Until this recession/depression ends the unions are going to loose a lot of members and their strangle hold on employers. If you have been out of work for a long spell and a company offers you a non-union job, at less money that will feed your family and keep a roof over their heads you would jump at it. So I see a lot companies going non-union to keep costs down and provide work for employees,
this will be more so in the trade unions.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

longball

My job search update:

So far this morning I have applied for 6 jobs taking my total jobs applied for in last 3 weeks to 23. went and got the Belfast telegraph this morning and no jobs in it!! went through Irish news there was well. How is everyone else getting on in their quest to get a job. Full Back anymore news on ur situation?

Minder

Anything good on Paramount at the minute LongBall?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longball

Everybody hates chris is just over... not a bad show couple of cheap laughs during it. scrubs has just started now..... Here wile im on this you know on Sky during the day u have to have a pin to watch the films... where do i get this pin number?

SidelineKick

I think its the last 4 digits on your sky card. I THINK.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

longball

Quote from: full back on March 05, 2009, 10:21:52 AM
Quote from: longball on March 05, 2009, 09:56:38 AM
Full Back anymore news on ur situation?

Not yet, bit like a wake in here at the minute
Loads of people sitting around whispering to each other
Women bitching like fcuk about who should/shouldnt go
The top table in & out of meetings. Everytime they walk through the door you can see people trying to read their facial expression to see if anything has happened yet
And full back sitting here wondering who the fcuk told the IN that John Mac was coming back & if its right or not
:D

Hate to say it FB but thats the way our place was before we all got layed off.... lasted about a week before the axe fell..... worst feeling in the world hi... people who are usually good craic are moping around and looking depressed.... anyone who tells u money doesnt make u happy is full of sh1te.... in our place first week 20 paid off (sacked) 20 layed off for a month (told to stay at home but on 100 a week thats me). Then after that month 14 of that 20 sacked and 6 of us still at home on the 100 a week.

Tony Baloney

Full Back what do you do? Where are you based?

longball

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 05, 2009, 10:33:30 AM
Full Back what do you do? Where are you based?

U should be ok thou Full Back is a hard position to fill  :D