Oops!!

Started by stpauls, February 27, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 28, 2009, 12:27:01 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 28, 2009, 12:24:50 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 28, 2009, 12:12:53 AM
no-just wondering was the 'retarded' theory a subtle explaination why Ricey didn't leave Galvin in a heap   

Straight question for you (and I'm going to ask it of anyone else that can't discern the difference): have you ever been grabbed down below in a sporting or playful manner, by a pal or acquaintance, just to put you on the back foot, but with no malice and no chance of doing you harm?

Nope-but hey! if that is what constitutes 'playful' in Strabane who am I to argue?
Me neither.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 28, 2009, 01:04:49 AM
Me neither.

I'm surprised Maguire -- I'll come back to this, because I don't think that we were particularly boisterous or outrageous, just the joker of the pack having a joke or two.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lecale2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on February 27, 2009, 10:06:58 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 09:48:58 PM
Or maybe you should realise that no one's defending Ricey's actions, rather defending his right to fair due process. Yes, he should be punished, yes, he should be suspended, no, it should not be out of the ordinary.

What part of the process wasn't fair?

Who else ever before got more than 4 weeks for a similar offence (where the opponent was not harmed in any way)?

The sentence and process are too different things. You said you had an issue with the process. What was wrong with the process?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 28, 2009, 08:16:58 AM
The sentence and process are too different things. You said you had an issue with the process. What was wrong with the process?

Yes, but the sentence is the end result of the process, i.e., it's a product of the process. I have my doubts, and saying nothing more about it now.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 28, 2009, 12:46:05 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 28, 2009, 12:39:56 AM
Apparently, but it is possible to effect such without malice. Young lads, huh!

You're some craic Strabane man-  that aside as a hero member what does the thing on this board at the bottom mean where it says, 40 guests,  27 users  7 hidden..  do you know? seriously

Registered members can chose to browse anonymously or not. If you got back to your own profile and open Account Related Settings you'll find the option to show others your online status or not. It's a toggle selection.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fear ón Srath Bán

As expected, from the Irish Times:

Tyrone to appeal McMenamin's eight-week suspension

SEÁN MORAN

GAELIC GAMES: TYRONE WILL be appealing defender Ryan McMenamin's eight-week suspension to the GAA's Central Appeals Committee on the grounds of precedent.

It was announced yesterday by Croke Park that the GAA's Central Hearings Committee had imposed the ban in respect of an incident during the Tyrone-Kerry NFL match two weeks ago in which the player grabbed at Kerry forward Paul Galvin's groin. The decision is unusual in that it represents a heavier suspension than the six weeks proposed to the player by the Central Competitions Control Committee instead of which McMenamin opted for a hearing before the CHC. Croke Park sources said yesterday evening that as far as they were aware this was the first time that had happened.

The eight-week suspension represents a doubling of the minimum prescribed for the offence of "behaving in a manner dangerous to an opponent". It was also confirmed that the suspension was based solely on the incident referred to above and did not take into account other incidents during the match involving McMenamin.

Although the CCCC effectively prosecute the case against a player before the CHC they are not allowed disclose what punishment they proposed to the player so the Hearings Committee can hear the case afresh – although in this instance as in many others the proposed suspension had already emerged into the public arena.

There was better luck for the Tyrone County Board in having a fine proposed at €5,000 by the CCCC reduced to €2,000 although the county confirmed that it will also appeal that. "Each case is different and has to be treated on its own merits," said Tyrone chair Pat Darcy.  "If you look at Ryan McMenamin's offence – Paddy Campbell of Donegal did the same on Enda Muldoon and got four weeks. You would expect that if there was consistency and if precedence was being taken into accounts, Ryan McMenamin would have got four weeks. "There seems to be some uncertainty. The standard punishment for that offence is four weeks. That is what other players have got in the past. But the CCCC proposed six weeks, and now the Hearings Committee are making it eight weeks," he added

Darcy confirmed the Tyrone board will also contest the €2,000 fine imposed for 'disruptive conduct by their players' in the immediate aftermath of the NFL clash with Kerry at Healy Park. "The CCCC proposed a €5,000 fine, and I argued at the hearing that that was excessive, and there shouldn't be any fine. I still feel we shouldn't be fined. Our stewards were magnificent, they stopped a worse situation developing, so why should we be punished?"

Other cases before the CHC on Thursday night resulted in Westmeath hurler Andrew Mitchell's red card for 'behaving in a manner which is dangerous to an opponent' in the recent NHL match against Offaly being rescinded and the infraction regraded to 'careless use of the hurley', a yellow card offence. Should Mitchell commit another yellow card infraction during the remainder of the league, he will be suspended for two weeks. Meath's Kevin Reilly was cleared of having committed a yellow card infraction in the NFL fixture with Cork earlier this month.

Tyrone Dreamer

As I've said numerous times Tyrone are 100% right on this one. They can't let their players be treated differently from other county players. This is the 1st time a player has ever got six weeks for this offence (and possibly any offence). Tyrone can also feel hard done by that this is the 1st time video evidence has been used in this years league and possibly only time and also the fact that this is the first time a sentenced has been increased on appeal.

You'd nearly think someone had something against Tyrone because Gavin Delvin was also the 1st person ever to be commited through video evidence (even though they had opportunities before that) and Ryan McMenamin was the 1st person ever to be suspended by video after a ref had dealt with the incident at the time (even though other players actions were ignored for this very reason). I appreciate that our players behaviour has been unacceptable in these cases but the fact our players our being dealt with differently to other players is unfair.

pintsofguinness

Whatever the outcome Tyrone have made themselves a laughing stock.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 28, 2009, 12:57:35 PM
As I've said numerous times Tyrone are 100% right on this one. They can't let their players be treated differently from other county players. This is the 1st time a player has ever got six weeks for this offence (and possibly any offence). Tyrone can also feel hard done by that this is the 1st time video evidence has been used in this years league and possibly only time and also the fact that this is the first time a sentenced has been increased on appeal.
You'd nearly think someone had something against Tyrone because Gavin Delvin was also the 1st person ever to be commited through video evidence (even though they had opportunities before that) and Ryan McMenamin was the 1st person ever to be suspended by video after a ref had dealt with the incident at the time (even though other players actions were ignored for this very reason). I appreciate that our players behaviour has been unacceptable in these cases but the fact our players our being dealt with differently to other players is unfair.

Didnt the Tyrone county board increase Peter Ward's sentence on appeal?

Tyrone Dreamer

I meant at county level.

Uladh

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 28, 2009, 12:57:35 PM

The first time anyone ever got 6 weeks for this offence?  ever? are you sure?

The first time anyone has ever got 6 weeks for any offence? ever? are you sure?

This is the first time anyon has ever had a punishment increased on appeal? ever? are you sure?

Zapatista

Quote from: stpauls on February 27, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

However, McMenamin had come in for some scathing criticism in the media and beyond following the incident in the game at Healy Park.

Sourced: BBC NI Website

He also got great support.

Silky

What that man did was a disgrace. He should have taken the 6 week ban and hung his head in shame until it was over.

I have nothing against Tyrone at all when I say that. I thought Vinny Jones was a disgrace when he did it in a soccer match.

The Tyrone County Board are supporting the players actions by appealling like this. Is there no morality left in Tyrone? Did any of youse watch the video. IT WAS A DISGRACEFUL ACTION! Accept the ban and move on.

Zapatista

Quote from: Silky on February 28, 2009, 02:30:03 PM
What that man did was a disgrace. He should have taken the 6 week ban and hung his head in shame until it was over.

I have nothing against Tyrone at all when I say that. I thought Vinny Jones was a disgrace when he did it in a soccer match.

The Tyrone County Board are supporting the players actions by appealling like this. Is there no morality left in Tyrone? Did any of youse watch the video. IT WAS A DISGRACEFUL ACTION! Accept the ban and move on.

Give me strength.

tyrone exile

If this was your own county player, there wouldn't be a poster on here not supporting them
I think that his actions were a disgrace, and he should be suspended, but at the same time they should have done it correctly.
By trying to make an example out of ricey, they are just going to point out how weak the appeal system really is!