Oops!!

Started by stpauls, February 27, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

Quote from: red hander on February 27, 2009, 07:21:14 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 27, 2009, 07:14:38 PM
Quote from: red hander on February 27, 2009, 07:01:23 PM
There was always a risk that the ban could be extended when it was appealed.  I don't condone what Ricey did ... BUT I would be very interested to look at how many suspensions were lengthened after appeal ... the GAA's disciplinary code is a f**king joke and by this decision (which smacks of total reactionism thanks to our friends from Armagh and Londonderry) the GAA is opening itself up to a legal murder picture

:D :D That's right lads, it all our fault  ::)

Think your S is in the wrong position there, Kermit

Not Kermit   >:(

Lar Naparka

Quote from: cadhlancian on February 27, 2009, 07:25:44 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 27, 2009, 06:50:39 PM
QuoteTyrone manager Mickey Harte had criticised the length of McMenamin's suspension and he is likely to be angered by the extension of the ban.

However, McMenamin had come in for some scathing criticism in the media and beyond following the incident in the game at Healy Park.

I have nothing personal whatsoever against Mickey Harte or the Tyrone team in general but it's a bit rich for the manager to get steamed up about the severity of McMenamin's ban.
For starters, as manager he is under the cosh too for McMenamin's behaviour throughout the game. It's not as if we are dealing with a single, spur of the moment incident but rather a whole series of loutish incidents throughout the entire match. Harte saw what was going on and chose to do nothing.
Spitting in opponent's faces (as in the pic on RTE's website) name calling and generally acting in a way that had nothing to do with the game being played is not acceptable at any time or in any place.
I wouldn't go overboard about the Galvin incident either. I'd stop far short of calling it a sexual attack as others have done, rather it was a quick jab with his fingers into the groin and Galvin made a meal of it by collapsing dramatically.
But it was only one of a series of unacceptable acts that McMenamin deliberately carried out throughout the course of the match and all of them seemed to have been pre-meditated.
I don't see how any one, Mickey Harte in particular, can have grounds for complaint.

if you are going to try and make sort some of point , for gods sake try and not make a tool of urself with ridiculous comments like the one highlighted!. he did not spit in his face...END OF! >:(

Look again, sunshine at the sentance you bolded yourself.
Here it is, once again:
Spitting in opponent's faces (as in the pic on RTE's website)
I think from the other thread on the subject that this pic is well enough known already.
If you really want, I'll link to it.
BTW: You are the first one I have come across who has claimed Ricey did not spit during the game.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

red hander

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 27, 2009, 08:25:43 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on February 27, 2009, 07:25:44 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 27, 2009, 06:50:39 PM
QuoteTyrone manager Mickey Harte had criticised the length of McMenamin's suspension and he is likely to be angered by the extension of the ban.

However, McMenamin had come in for some scathing criticism in the media and beyond following the incident in the game at Healy Park.

I have nothing personal whatsoever against Mickey Harte or the Tyrone team in general but it's a bit rich for the manager to get steamed up about the severity of McMenamin's ban.
For starters, as manager he is under the cosh too for McMenamin's behaviour throughout the game. It's not as if we are dealing with a single, spur of the moment incident but rather a whole series of loutish incidents throughout the entire match. Harte saw what was going on and chose to do nothing.
Spitting in opponent's faces (as in the pic on RTE's website) name calling and generally acting in a way that had nothing to do with the game being played is not acceptable at any time or in any place.
I wouldn't go overboard about the Galvin incident either. I'd stop far short of calling it a sexual attack as others have done, rather it was a quick jab with his fingers into the groin and Galvin made a meal of it by collapsing dramatically.
But it was only one of a series of unacceptable acts that McMenamin deliberately carried out throughout the course of the match and all of them seemed to have been pre-meditated.
I don't see how any one, Mickey Harte in particular, can have grounds for complaint.

if you are going to try and make sort some of point , for gods sake try and not make a tool of urself with ridiculous comments like the one highlighted!. he did not spit in his face...END OF! >:(

Look again, sunshine at the sentance you bolded yourself.
Here it is, once again:
Spitting in opponent's faces (as in the pic on RTE's website)
I think from the other thread on the subject that this pic is well enough known already.
If you really want, I'll link to it.
BTW: You are the first one I have come across who has claimed Ricey did not spit during the game.

Well, I'm the second one then, cos he did not spit in anyone's face ... that picture is totally and absolutely inconclusive

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not only is the picture not conclusive, spitting does not constitute the charge of either the CCCC or CHC, or any part of the charge. It's not relevant.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Smell the glove

good enough for the gypo

have the parents in dromore kept their kids from his minor team?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Smell the glove on February 27, 2009, 08:56:58 PM
good enough for the gypo

Anything grown-up to contribute? (And yes, more grown-up than Ricey)

Smell the glove

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 08:58:42 PM
Quote from: Smell the glove on February 27, 2009, 08:56:58 PM
good enough for the gypo

Anything grown-up to contribute? (And yes, more grown-up than Ricey)
more grown up that those defending ricey.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Smell the glove on February 27, 2009, 09:00:32 PM

There's a good boy.

Smell the glove

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 08:59:49 PM
Quote from: Smell the glove on February 27, 2009, 09:00:32 PM

There's a good boy.
maybe being from strabane boys like ricey are ten a penny and you dont know any better.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Or maybe you should realise that no one's defending Ricey's actions, rather defending his right to fair due process. Yes, he should be punished, yes, he should be suspended, no, it should not be out of the ordinary.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 08:32:09 PM
Not only is the picture not conclusive, spitting does not constitute the charge of either the CCCC or CHC, or any part of the charge. It's not relevant.
Now, Fear, what I have been trying to say is that it's a bit rich for Mickey Harte to be getting upset about the severity of Ricey's ban when it was up to him as manager to see that the man in question played within the rules of the game.
Furthermore, if I see an individual firmly holding the chin and jaws of another man in his right hand and a stream of spittle flying outward from his mouth in the general direction of the other person, I will draw my own conclusions.
"Not conclusive" is fair enough and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but it stops a long way short of "definitely did not happen."  
Was it possible that the man was frothing at the mouth? I hardly think so but a shower of spittle did issue from his gob and Ricey was accused of verbal abuse and spitting in the media after the game.
My point was and still is that Harte would have been better employed enforcing discipline on his team instead of moaning about a meaningless extension to a ban that was lenient to begin with.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lecale2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 09:48:58 PM
Or maybe you should realise that no one's defending Ricey's actions, rather defending his right to fair due process. Yes, he should be punished, yes, he should be suspended, no, it should not be out of the ordinary.

What part of the process wasn't fair?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 27, 2009, 09:49:44 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 08:32:09 PM
Now, Fear, what I have been trying to say is that it's a bit rich for Mickey Harte to be getting upset about the severity of Ricey's ban when it was up to him as manager to see that the man in question played within the rules of the game.
Furthermore, if I see an individual firmly holding the chin and jaws of another man in his right hand and a stream of spittle flying outward from his mouth in the general direction of the other person, I will draw my own conclusions.
"Not conclusive" is fair enough and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but it stops a long way short of "definitely did not happen." 
Was it possible that the man was frothing at the mouth? I hardly think so but a shower of spittle did issue from his gob and Ricey was accused of verbal abuse and spitting in the media after the game.
My point was and still is that Harte would have been better employed enforcing discipline on his team instead of moaning about a meaningless extension to a ban that was lenient to begin with.

Lar, when the testosterone is flying in a high stakes game there are all sorts of pictures that can be taken that will portray all sorts of non events. I don't believe he was spitting in a particular and specific direction, but perhaps there was frothing that escaped his gob. The wily cameraman is no less an artist than most abstract of modernists. I don't believe it to be relevant to the issue in question here at all, being little more than a totally unnecessary distraction.

Harte can only do so much with his players, they're not automatons, and the last thing any manager would want to do is extinguish the spark completely. That's not to say that he wasn't very, very disappointed with Ricey, but all he was asking for at the back of it all was fair treatment for a stupid, but innocuous, incident. It's also not to say that he doesn't 'preach' discipline within the confines of the dressing room, but you're speaking here like Tyrone were playing a team of exalted angels, who were utterly devoid of any capacity to engage in the more cynical or darker-edged shades of the game. I'm not saying that Kerry were sinners here, but it's a man's game, and no quarters given and none asked for. Alll I'm asking for here is a little cold rationale, without the rabid hyperbole, and also without the extremely dubious evidence of unlikely photographs.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 27, 2009, 10:06:58 PM

Who else ever before got more than 4 weeks for a similar offence (where the opponent was not harmed in any way)?

Doire abú

Quote from: red hander on February 27, 2009, 07:01:23 PM
There was always a risk that the ban could be extended when it was appealed.  I don't condone what Ricey did ... BUT I would be very interested to look at how many suspensions were lengthened after appeal ... the GAA's disciplinary code is a f**king joke and by this decision (which smacks of total reactionism thanks to our friends from Armagh and Londonderry) the GAA is opening itself up to a legal murder picture

Ignoring your attempt at humour... how did anyone from Armagh or Derry help get him banned?

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2009, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on February 27, 2009, 10:06:58 PM

Who else ever before got more than 4 weeks for a similar offence (where the opponent was not harmed in any way)?

Fergal Doherty last year?