Oops!!

Started by stpauls, February 27, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7914958.stm

McMenamin suspension is increased  

Ryan McMenamin's six-week ban imposed after his challenge on Paul Galvin has been extended to eight weeks.

McMenamin had not accepted the six-week ban proposed by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee.

The eight-week ban means McMenamin is set to miss Tyrone's next four Allianz National Football League matches.

Tyrone's county board have also been fined 2,000 Euro by the Central Hearings Committee although both verdicts are likely to be appealed.

Despite the extension of the ban, McMenamin won't miss any more than the four NFL matches which would have been covered by the original six-week suspension.

After being banned for the games against Galway, Westmeath, Donegal, the suspension will also cover the match against Derry on 28 March but Tyrone's final Division 1 round-robin clash is away to Castlebar on 12 April and McMenamin's ban expires the previous midnight.

McMenamin was disciplined when video evidence caught him grabbing opponent Paul Galvin between the legs.

The Tyrone man had a proposed six-week ban imposed against him for "behaving in a manner dangerous to an opponent" in the Kerry game.

He attended a personal hearing at Croke Park on Thursday night but the Central Hearings Committee opted to increase the ban to eight weeks.

A GAA statement also revealed that the Tyrone board had been fined 2,000 Euro by the Central Hearings Committee after it chose not to accept the penalty proposed by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

The fine was imposed because of "disruptive conduct" by the Tyrone players after the game.

McMenamin and the Tyrone County Board have the option to lodge appeals against the decisions to the Central Appeals Committee.

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte had criticised the length of McMenamin's suspension and he is likely to be angered by the extension of the ban.

However, McMenamin had come in for some scathing criticism in the media and beyond following the incident in the game at Healy Park.

Sourced: BBC NI Website

youngfella

Pull hard and early

moysider

He would have been better advised accepting his punishment. It was always possible - even likely - that it would be increased if he appealed. What defence could he possibly have had?

thebandit

Its no harm that they finally increased one that had been appealed - It might serve as a deterrant to Fergal Logan those in the GAA (and to be fair they are in every county) whose first instinct is always to appeal, no matter if the decision is right or wrong.

Maguire01

This is going on over in the DRA thread.

Shamrock Shore

Proper order.

Might teach him a bit of manners on the pitch.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 27, 2009, 02:57:05 PM
Anyone who thinks that this will be the end of the matter is naive IMO.

OK. 10 weeks so. ;D

The GAA

Yes, but it should be Fionn

orangeman

I think he should take his punsihment now and leave it. There's been enough talk and focus about it now.

6 weeks or 8 weeks probably doesn't make a whole pile of difference.

He gambled and lost. Shit happens.

fer fox ache

I'd love to see an end to spurious appeals like this, even as a Derry man I thought our attempt to overturn Fergal Doc's suspension last summer was a joke

Lar Naparka

QuoteTyrone manager Mickey Harte had criticised the length of McMenamin's suspension and he is likely to be angered by the extension of the ban.

However, McMenamin had come in for some scathing criticism in the media and beyond following the incident in the game at Healy Park.

I have nothing personal whatsoever against Mickey Harte or the Tyrone team in general but it's a bit rich for the manager to get steamed up about the severity of McMenamin's ban.
For starters, as manager he is under the cosh too for McMenamin's behaviour throughout the game. It's not as if we are dealing with a single, spur of the moment incident but rather a whole series of loutish incidents throughout the entire match. Harte saw what was going on and chose to do nothing.
Spitting in opponent's faces (as in the pic on RTE's website) name calling and generally acting in a way that had nothing to do with the game being played is not acceptable at any time or in any place.
I wouldn't go overboard about the Galvin incident either. I'd stop far short of calling it a sexual attack as others have done, rather it was a quick jab with his fingers into the groin and Galvin made a meal of it by collapsing dramatically.
But it was only one of a series of unacceptable acts that McMenamin deliberately carried out throughout the course of the match and all of them seemed to have been pre-meditated.
I don't see how any one, Mickey Harte in particular, can have grounds for complaint.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

red hander

There was always a risk that the ban could be extended when it was appealed.  I don't condone what Ricey did ... BUT I would be very interested to look at how many suspensions were lengthened after appeal ... the GAA's disciplinary code is a f**king joke and by this decision (which smacks of total reactionism thanks to our friends from Armagh and Londonderry) the GAA is opening itself up to a legal murder picture

mountainboii

Quote from: red hander on February 27, 2009, 07:01:23 PM
There was always a risk that the ban could be extended when it was appealed.  I don't condone what Ricey did ... BUT I would be very interested to look at how many suspensions were lengthened after appeal ... the GAA's disciplinary code is a f**king joke and by this decision (which smacks of total reactionism thanks to our friends from Armagh and Londonderry) the GAA is opening itself up to a legal murder picture

:D :D That's right lads, it all our fault  ::)

red hander

Quote from: AFS on February 27, 2009, 07:14:38 PM
Quote from: red hander on February 27, 2009, 07:01:23 PM

:D :D That's right lads, it all our fault  ::)

Think your S is in the wrong position there, Kermit

cadhlancian

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 27, 2009, 06:50:39 PM
QuoteTyrone manager Mickey Harte had criticised the length of McMenamin's suspension and he is likely to be angered by the extension of the ban.

I have nothing personal whatsoever against Mickey Harte or the Tyrone team in general but it's a bit rich for the manager to get steamed up about the severity of McMenamin's ban.
For starters, as manager he is under the cosh too for McMenamin's behaviour throughout the game. It's not as if we are dealing with a single, spur of the moment incident but rather a whole series of loutish incidents throughout the entire match. Harte saw what was going on and chose to do nothing.
Spitting in opponent's faces (as in the pic on RTE's website) name calling and generally acting in a way that had nothing to do with the game being played is not acceptable at any time or in any place.
I wouldn't go overboard about the Galvin incident either. I'd stop far short of calling it a sexual attack as others have done, rather it was a quick jab with his fingers into the groin and Galvin made a meal of it by collapsing dramatically.
But it was only one of a series of unacceptable acts that McMenamin deliberately carried out throughout the course of the match and all of them seemed to have been pre-meditated.
I don't see how any one, Mickey Harte in particular, can have grounds for complaint.

if you are going to try and make sort some of point , for gods sake try and not make a tool of urself with ridiculous comments like the one highlighted!. he did not spit in his face...END OF! >:(