Oops!!

Started by stpauls, February 27, 2009, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

If he has such a problem with the media, ignore them
Dont speak to them at all & act as if they dont exist

SidelineKick

Perhaps Dooher should listen to Mickey Harte and keep is opinion to himself.

My point is that Dppher cannot play the "amateur" card whenever it suits him.  The positive press surrounding Tyrone has far outweighed the negative.  He should not have mentioned the word amateur, because by the same reckoning it is akin to saying "Why are Tyrone splashed all over the papers for weeks after the AI?  Sure they're only amateurs?"

It doesn't wash.  Dooher can of course speak to the media, it is his only outlet, but don't bite the hand that feeds you.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Minder

Dooher has said that the "The media have given him a perceived reputation anyway", am i missing something? Was it the media that has been out of line or Mc Menamin? The reputation he has on the football field is down to one person and one only.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: full back on March 03, 2009, 12:15:16 PM
If he has such a problem with the media, ignore them
Dont speak to them at all & act as if they dont exist

Pretend that a problem doesn't exist? I don't think so.
If a hack sticks a microphone under your nose, and you've a problem with them, let them have it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: orangeman on March 03, 2009, 09:20:46 AM
Dooher stands up for nice guy McMenamin

Tuesday March 03 2009

TYRONE star Brian Dooher made an impassioned plea yesterday on behalf of All-Ireland winning team-mate Ryan McMenamin whose initial appeal against a six-week ban backfired badly when it was increased to eight weeks.

McMenamin goes before the GAA's Central Appeals Committee (CAC) this Thursday night in a desperate bid to reduce the two-month ban that is set to keep him out of the next four rounds of the National League.

Dooher blamed the media for giving McMenamin "a perceived reputation", saying "he's been in the papers this past three or four weeks which is uncalled for on an amateur player.

"Everybody is making a big deal out of it and obviously, (for) the media, it's their first thing of the year and they are jumping on this. You wouldn't meet many better fellas and I'm just hoping he gets the suspension reduced to the four weeks," Dooher said. "That's what I think is appropriate for the offence. That's the way it should be."

Eyebrows were raised last week when McMenamin appealed a proposed six-week ban to the GAA's Central Hearings Committee (CHC) only to see it increased by two weeks.

"It was definitely a shock to everyone," admitted Dooher who is currently recovering from injury. "I think Ryan and the whole of Tyrone expected he'd get a four-week ban -- the same as was given to other people for the same offence last year or the year before. He was willing to accept the four weeks but for some reason the GAA decided to double it."

Tyrone are resigned to being without McMenamin for Saturday's top-of-the-table clash against Galway in Omagh.

But they will be arguing that his offence -- technically described as "behaving in a manner dangerous to an opponent" for striking Kerry's Paul Galvin in the groin during their last NFL game -- warranted only a four- week suspension.

If McMenamin had received just a month's suspension, this weekend's game is the only one the Tyrone defender would miss.

But a six or eight-week ban also rules him out of games against Westmeath, Donegal and Derry. As things stand, he will be sidelined until Tyrone's last league match against Mayo on April 12.

Tyrone are also appealing the heavy €2,000 fine that they received from the CHC for "disruptive conduct by their players" immediately after the league game against Kerry.

The Central Competition Controls Committee (CCCC) originally proposed that Tyrone be fined €5,000, but that was reduced to €2,000 by the CHC.

- Cliona Foley and Donnchadh Boyle

That couldn't be right - is it?
In your Endo!

southoftheborder

cant be top of table clash at all

Onion Bag

Not having a go here but just asking a question, When was the last time a Tyrone player got a suspension for something and the suspension wasnt appealed, maybe this is why the suspension was increased, maybe they were getting pissed off with the Tyrone county Board appealing and questioning every decsion they made (Whether it is was the right decsion or not) just a point
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

saffron sam2

Kevin Hughes vs. Derry ??
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Onion Bag

Cant remember exact examples but the point i was making was Tyrone have a reputation for appealing decisions made against their players, and before everyone jumps on me, I am not having a pop at tyrone, i think its good that their county board stands by their players, maybe the higher powers are getting pissed off and are trying to teach them a lesson
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

saffron sam2

Tyrone are no different to any county in this regard.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

criostlinn

Thursday, 5 March 2009 20:06
Tyrone footballer Ryan McMenamin and Kilkenny hurler Eddie Brennan are having appeals against their respective eight and four-week bans heard in Croke Park tonight.

McMenamin will appear before the Central Appeals Committee seeking a reduction in the eight-week suspension imposed on him after the initial six-week sentence was increased by the Central Hearings Committee after making contact with Kerry's Paul Galvin's during the NFL game in Omagh on 15 February.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on March 05, 2009, 11:46:50 PM
Ricey brought the game into disrepute and I don't understand how the Tyrone CB didn't accept the original ban. I'm not going to try and overstate his offense but he crossed a line of respectability and the appeal has ensured it will be talked about for the rest of the year.

I'm not going to get into this, yet again, save to say that there's no equivalence and that the CHC are not at liberty to take past years' misdeamours into account, and for that reason the penalty won't, and can't, stand.

He deserved to be punished (as all, all, Tyronnies have said, ad nauseam), yes, but unless the penalties are transparent, accountable and consistent the whole sytem will lack respect, and therefore will not fulfil their solemnly avowed function of eradicating all such behaviour from the games.

muppet

Quoteunless the penalties are transparent, accountable and consistent the whole sytem will lack respect, and therefore will not fulfil their solemnly avowed function of eradicating all such behaviour from the games.

125 years old and this has never ever been the case. Why did you think it would be for Ricey?

By all means start a campaign to fix the problem. God knows it is needed.  But if it's called the justice for Ricey campaign don't be surprised if no one else is interested.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on March 05, 2009, 11:59:10 PM
125 years old and this has never ever been the case. Why did you think it would be for Ricey?

By all means start a campaign to fix the problem. God knows it is needed.  But if it's called the justice for Ricey campaign don't be surprised if no one else is interested.

This is what the CCCC, CHC, CAC, and DRA have been introduced to address, especially with the ghost of the GPA and lazy litigation hanging over their shoulders. Those did never exist, at least not to the same degree, in any of the 125 years hitherto. All haste beckons.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 06, 2009, 12:01:46 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 05, 2009, 11:59:10 PM

This is what the CCCC, CHC, CAC, and DRA have been introduced to address
, especially with the ghost of the GPA and lazy litigation hanging over their shoulders. Those did never exist, at least not to the same degree, in any of the 125 years hitherto. All haste beckons.

I accept that, but it has failed miserably, other than apparently stopping the High Court actions. But there is nothing to stop that avenue starting again.
MWWSI 2017