ulster final  has yet to be played.the all ireland semi final is in 2 weeks

Cosmo Kramer

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Cosmo Kramer

Final Score

Mayo 3-14  Sligo 1-8

Mikey Sweeney goal right at the end.

A good solid win.

Four years unbeaten in Connacht and counting.   :)
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

mayo51

magpie seanie

Firstly - congrats to Mayo. Ye have a good team there and it looks like there is good work being done with them. Personally have not seen any better Mayo underage team. Good footballers all over the pitch and crucially they have plenty of big men. Another thing I noticed was that they were relentless - never let up at any stage.

I personally think the scoreline was harsh on our lads. Second best they were but we played some good stuff at times and are certainly not 10 points a worse outfit. I felt the Leitrim man in the middle did us no favours until the latter stages when he awarded us a good few dubios frees. Also in the period he produced his first yellow card for a Mayo player who had executed a perfect open hand tackle. He was bad for both sides but the benefit we got was after the horse had bolted. The decision to allow the third goal (which was blatantly a square ball) really angered me. Game was over, result not in doubt so obviously the officials are at best complete idiots.

Going through our team, O'Mahony was ok in goals. I know him and would have expeted him to do better on their first and third goals but his kickouts were pretty good in the face of real pressure. Maybe a bit over critical but I expect the est from him. Our backs largely struggled gamely. Size was an issue here as most of our backs are not that big. Mayo were coming in waves though at times with great pace and power so it was finger in the dyke stuff. Gilsenan had several good moments as did Davey and all tried manfully. In the middle Henry was a huge disappointment again and was rightly taken off. He actually looked disinterested. Gilmartin tried his heart out as did Murphy and Hanley when he came on but we were outgunned in this sector for long periods. In the forward line Gaughan and Coen caused lots of trouble with the former being fouled and pulled and dragged at every opportunity. Obviously I'm biased but I thought Keelan Cawley had a smashing game. McHugh played well again and gave his all. Overall though we had one or two lads who are too weak for this level, not enough size and not enough aggression.

I'm naturally disappointed but unlike many other occasions at least it was a good Mayo side that beat us. O'Shea is some player already and if he's looked after and treated properly he could be anything. As for the elephant in the room.....it is galling to see it alright.

joemamas

Good Win By Mayo, game pretty much over two mins in to second half. Mayo potentially good enough to go all the way. Do not believe you will see much gloating by Mayo fans on this board.

As for Sligonian, some of the poisonous/inflammatory stuff that you wrote over the past two weeks aimed an an amateur player and his family was at best cowardly. It does not belong in the spirit of the GAA. As someone who lives not a million miles from the Sligo border, and have drank and bantered with many Sligo people over the years, I have always wished Sligo well. I genuinely hope you are not indicative of "the new Sligo supporter". I truly hope you have a good look in the mirror and realise the folly of your antics. However , I really doubt it. Within a month or two you will most likely turn on your own players once again.

RedandGreenSniper

Good, honest appraisal there Seanie. I thought ye would be better but ye had maybe six lads who were just not good enough and for all the effort and ability of the likes of Ewing, Gilsenan, Gilmartin, Gaughan, Coen and McHugh, there was too many passengers against a Mayo team who are strong all over, and strong on the bench. But from a development point of view Coen, Gaughan, Gilsenan, McHugh and possibly Ewing (perhaps a bit small) all have serious potential.

The goal at the start of the second half ended the game as a contest. I'm not sure if the referee helped Mayo. He blatantly gave decisions yer way in the second half and I'm not convinced about the penalty either, but I was in the stand so wasn't in the best position. Kevin Keane must have done something to him at some stage! You mention that yellow card which was a joke, he gave three other fouls against him which were no frees but anyway.

I reckon the third goal was borderline, Sweeney was on the line from where I saw it. The keeper should have taken man and ball anyway and I'm actually surprised the referee gave the goal because the game was over, but I don't think he was in the square.

As I said already Mayo are strong all over but our full-back line looked in trouble when Stephen Coen got good ball. I'd have good hopes for them going into the All-Ireland series. O'Shea was very good in his use of possession today while our full-forward line were very good. Parsons was good but far too often took the wrong option. At the back McLoughlin continues to underline his class but Donal Vaughan hadn't his best day.

And finally I have to hand it to management. Four Connacht titles in a row is serious, serious going.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2009, 08:21:34 PM
. I felt the Leitrim man in the middle did us no favours until the latter stages when he awarded us a good few dubios frees. Also in the period he produced his first yellow card for a Mayo player who had executed a perfect open hand tackle. He was bad for both sides but the benefit we got was after the horse had bolted. The decision to allow the third goal (which was blatantly a square ball) really angered me. Game was over, result not in doubt so obviously the officials are at best complete idiots.

What is it with those *****s from that Godforsaken County.?
Well Connacht lads do we all support Mayo as our U21 Reps in the All Ireland or do we just say -"Sure Under 21 is only oul nonsense,lets concentrate on proper football and ignore the ****s"  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Rossfan on April 04, 2009, 08:56:20 PM
. I felt the Leitrim man in the middle did us no favours until the latter stages when he awarded us a good few dubios frees. Also in the period he produced his first yellow card for a Mayo player who had executed a perfect open hand tackle. He was bad for both sides but the benefit we got was after the horse had bolted. The decision to allow the third goal (which was blatantly a square ball) really angered me. Game was over, result not in doubt so obviously the officials are at best complete idiots.

Well Connacht lads do we all support Mayo as our U21 Reps in the All Ireland or do we just say -"Sure Under 21 is only oul nonsense,lets concentrate on proper football and ignore the ****s"  :D

Do what you want.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Who cares? Save your support.

AbbeySider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 04, 2009, 01:07:06 PM
Best of luck Sligo.

For what its worth i think it'll be a low scoring affair with Sligo sneaking it, fair play to Fergal saying the above and wish him and the management, hopefully all the tactics and changes will work. I cant obviously go, but i really hope Sligo turns outs in big numbers to support the lads, could make that little bit of difference. I know the Sligo players are up for it for obvious reasons ;) so let the BATTLE COMMENCE.

Sligeach abu.

:D :D :D  ::)

Lar Naparka

FFS, What has sheep stealing got to do with 'proper' football?
If ye can't beat the likes of Cavan, yiz all should go back to what you all  do best- and that's stealing sheep to use as mobile leisure centres.  ;D

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to Mayo,

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 04, 2009, 10:53:59 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 04, 2009, 01:07:06 PM
Best of luck Sligo.

For what its worth i think it'll be a low scoring affair with Sligo sneaking it, fair play to Fergal saying the above and wish him and the management, hopefully all the tactics and changes will work. I cant obviously go, but i really hope Sligo turns outs in big numbers to support the lads, could make that little bit of difference. I know the Sligo players are up for it for obvious reasons ;) so let the BATTLE COMMENCE.

Sligeach abu.

:D :D :D  ::)

My thinking on a low scoring affair FYI, as i knew Coen and McHugh were our main scoring threat and that it would be tough for our lads to post a big score simple as that, especially as we'd be up against it at Midfield was the only way we'd win :o.

Reports from the game, was that this OShea lad is the real deal, everyones opinion really, our defence too light and loose, coen looked dangerous, and our lads ddint play well for long enough, said we gave away some shite goals. Alot of disappointment at the score and level of support aswell.

Our seniors really are on knife edge with wicklows pts diff ensuring we have to win last 2 games but at least we'll see what were made of with Galway waiting, our minors are way off the pace in the CML, so 2009 can go either way for us now after this and its not going to be easy but best of luck to both.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mannix

Sligonian,
I feel bad for you,  you are like a lot of Mayo people at heart. We wish our teams can win and get carried away when we win one or two and cry when it all falls apart like yesterdays game did for Sligo.
By the way Mayo have a very strong u21 side again this year so please give them a little respect and your own lads too, they did their best and maybe the game passed some by but they trained hard enough to be on the team and panel and they can only learn from it.

The flame still burns

Mayo were very controlled in dealing with a potentially tricky tie yesterday. And while there's no doubting the potential of Aidan O'Shea, for me Kevin McLoughlin is this team's class performer.

Match report here for anyone who wants a look

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/