Connacht U-21 Championship 2009

Started by Farrandeelin, February 20, 2009, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maradona

QuoteConroy is in Australia. Always thought he got a fairly raw deal.
O Mahoney told Campbell last October that he wouldnt need his services this year.
JOM simply couldnt handle him, another example of bad man management.

thats a bit unfair. If a young fella is causing issue while being given ample OPPORTUNITY to play for his county, then he shouldnt be there.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Maradona on April 02, 2009, 11:28:47 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider
O Mahoney told Campbell last October that he wouldnt need his services this year.
thats a bit unfair. If a young fella is causing issue while being given ample OPPORTUNITY to play for his county, then he shouldnt be there.

Could you tell me where the "ample OPPORTUNITY " was to play for your county during the closed season ?
It was the last thing Campbell needed to hear heading into a new college year. Things were bad enough for him. In fairness JOM should have taken him under his wing, he is only a young lad.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 02, 2009, 11:34:42 AM
Quote from: Maradona on April 02, 2009, 11:28:47 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider

Could you tell me where the "ample OPPORTUNITY " was to play for your county during the closed season ?
It was the last thing Campbell needed to hear heading into a new college year. Things were bad enough for him. In fairness JOM should have taken him under his wing, he is only a young lad.

I think he got ample opportunity too to be fair. He was in the squad for Johnno's first 2 years in charge and never showed anything like the form he had as a minor. He has had his disciplinary isues in the past aswell, most famously when he went on the tear leading up to the All-Ireland U-21 semi-final against Laois. If he was still causing disruption and didn't have the discipline then he had to be cut, plain and simple, talent isn't enough these days. The lad is still young and may cop on, if he does I think there is alot there to work with and he may get a call up again. He just needs to knuckle down for the club and find some form again.

AbbeySider

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on April 02, 2009, 01:51:30 PM
I think he got ample opportunity too to be fair. He was in the squad for Johnno's first 2 years in charge and never showed anything like the form he had as a minor. He has had his disciplinary isues in the past aswell, most famously when he went on the tear leading up to the All-Ireland U-21 semi-final against Laois. If he was still causing disruption and didn't have the discipline then he had to be cut, plain and simple, talent isn't enough these days. The lad is still young and may cop on, if he does I think there is alot there to work with and he may get a call up again. He just needs to knuckle down for the club and find some form again.

We will agree to differ there OM. I know if I was managing him I would do my best to keep him out of trouble and on the straight and narrow.
A young lad like that needs to be taken under the wing and man-managed. Give him something to work towards and reward him.
As I said; if John O Mahoney came to him and said last October that he had to prove himself on and off the field if he wants to play Inter County for Mayo then im sure he would have copped on.
As it happened he went further off the rails after being coldly dropped over a phone call before the season even began.
Thats bad man-management in my book anyway.

Are you sure he had two seasons on the Senior panel? I know he played league in the '07 season...

Maradona

Quoteif John O Mahoney came to him and said last October that he had to prove himself on and off the field if he wants to play Inter County for Mayo then im sure he would have copped on.

and how do you know JOM / Management didnt say that to him previously?
Its mad the way people assume things that happen / dont happen within the squad, and just use it to back an agenda - sure none of us know what goes on, what is said, how lads are performing. Most managers will make decisions in the best interests on the squad / county and the most important thing is that a manager makes decisions.
Now its fair enough to debate / be critical based on what we see on the pitch as that is clear evidence - not guessing / assuming what goes on behind closed doors

shapes

and back to the original thread discussion!

Sligo Under 21 manager, Fergal O'Flaherty, has warned Mayo ahead of this Saturday's Cadbury provincial showdown that his side will not be showing up at Markievicz Park merely to make up numbers.

O'Flaherty's charges have been ranked as underdogs for this weekend's Connacht decider against a Mayo side who are gunning for their fourth provincial crown in as many years, but the Yeats boss has every faith that his players can cause an upset.

"We definitely have the ability and the desire to win a Connacht title," insisted O'Flaherty.

"Mayo will start as favourites and their record in the championship over the years has to be respected. But we've got a very talented group of players and we feel we're in with every chance of winning the title."

Sligo saw off Leitrim in their semi-final victory, while their opponents overcame a strong Roscommon outfit with a spirited display after extra-time to get to the final, and O'Flaherty is hoping that the prospect of a first Connacht underage title in over 40 years will provide a major incentive to his players.

"There's a great belief within the group," he said. "They've come up together through the ranks and they have a great desire to win a Connacht title. They're not interested in moral victories or hard luck stories. They've got a great attitude.

"We're not in the final to make up numbers," O'Flaherty stressed. "We've put in a huge amount of work to get to the decider and we're determined to go all the way."

I know it's along the lines of what every manager says but hopefully Sligo can catch an over confident Mayo on the hop and really play as the underdog with no chance to cause an upset.

Mano

Thanks for getting us back on track Shapes ;)

Big challenge for Sligo taday however i think it is surmountable. In my opinion this Mayo under 21 team is not as strong as their winning teams of last 3 years (maybe Mayo posters may disagree). Mayo struggled to beat a weakened Galway side and needed a last minute goal to force the Roscommon game into extra-time. Add to that their best player at minor level Pierce Hanley is now plying his trade professionally in Australia. They have brought 5 of their excellent minor team from last year on board however.

Sligo have all the motivation to win this. They are at home in front of hopefully a large Sligo crowd, are rank outsiders, had a relatively easy game in the semi, are looking to win their first ever provincial under 21 title and are facing a team captained by a Sligo man.

I am hopeful that an upset is on the cards.

joemamas

Quote from: Mano on April 04, 2009, 11:47:30 AM
Thanks for getting us back on track Shapes ;)

Big challenge for Sligo taday however i think it is surmountable. In my opinion this Mayo under 21 team is not as strong as their winning teams of last 3 years (maybe Mayo posters may disagree). Mayo struggled to beat a weakened Galway side and needed a last minute goal to force the Roscommon game into extra-time. Add to that their best player at minor level Pierce Hanley is now plying his trade professionally in Australia. They have brought 5 of their excellent minor team from last year on board however.

Sligo have all the motivation to win this. They are at home in front of hopefully a large Sligo crowd, are rank outsiders, had a relatively easy game in the semi, are looking to win their first ever provincial under 21 title and are facing a team captained by a Sligo man.

I am hopeful that an upset is on the cards.

Thanks for that wonderful insight, had not heard that before

SLIGONIAN

Best of luck Sligo.

For what its worth i think it'll be a low scoring affair with Sligo sneaking it, fair play to Fergal saying the above and wish him and the management, hopefully all the tactics and changes will work. I cant obviously go, but i really hope Sligo turns outs in big numbers to support the lads, could make that little bit of difference. I know the Sligo players are up for it for obvious reasons ;) so let the BATTLE COMMENCE.

Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mayo51

Tubberman

Mayo 2-10 Sligo 1-04 90 secs into 2nd half
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayo51

another goal for mayo   2.10  sligo 1.05 .2 min. into 2ind half

Mano

mayo51

sligo 1.06 mayo 2.13  .

Cosmo Kramer

OK barring the comeback of the year we're going to win this.

Mid-west saying its Armagh or Down in the semi final. Have Down not already won Ulster?

Anyone know the date for this one?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100